[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Widescreen Computer Monitor Resolution

Atlanta Cracker

So, my inlaws had me get a computer for them that I am delivering Christmas so that I could set up some software and email for them. It came with a 17" LCD Widescreen monitor and I'm having trouble getting the resolution set to something that is both clear and large enough for them to read and I need some help.

Using Windows XP. It seems that 1440 x 900 is the perfect resolution for everything to be clear and crisp and fit the screen properly. The problem is that it's tiny. There is no way they'd be able to use it like that and I probably wouldn't either. However, when I change to lower resolutions like 1280 x 800 or lower everything looks blurry and stretched.

This is the monitor

Any thoughts?

Tried that but website text still is tiny and they'll primarily be using it for surfing.

yeah, not sure what to tell you. unfortunately a lot of the newer monitors i've come across look kinda crappy at anything less than their max resolution. seems kinda stupid to me, too. maybe there's some way to "fix" it i'm not aware of, but i haven't looked too hard since i am usually good with the max resolution.

I hope this is now resolved but it could be worth checking out the Windows Accessibility options in Control Panel. Magnifier is very basic but handy for people with bad vision. There are other better options that do the same thing available from Microsoft and others.

I hope this is now resolved but it could be worth checking out the Windows Accessibility options in Control Panel. Magnifier is very basic but handy for people with bad vision. There are other better options that do the same thing available from Microsoft and others.

my mom is legally blind(20/300), you would never believe how large i have her fonts etc set and she still uses the magnifier(8 or 9 setting i think)

Edited by keggerz

Where do you set the magnifier? I don't see anything in the Accessibility Controls in the Control panel for that. Their vision is fine, it's just that the native screen resolution is tiny - even for me.

Start / Programs / Accessories / Accessibility / Magnifier

Sorry about the bum steer - it's not directly in Control Panel.