[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

to revisit an old theme

Bier Meister

Funny, I feel the exact opposite. I think most pizza is pretty bad. But, I'm from Brooklyn so the bar is set high.

The best way I can explain myself is like this:

I think Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Pappa Johns are crap (with Pizza Hut taking the crap crown of the 3). That said, I have zero reservations scarfing any of those down because they are still pizza and not completely awful. As I have said many times here before, given the choice between those chain places and a local pizza joint, I will always take the local pizza. It just tastes that much better in 999 out of 1000 instances.

yep

(of course, NYC pizza isn't exactly what you get when you order pizza in Italy either though)

That is ture.... NY style pizza was indeed created in NY, not Italy at all. From an old post in the tailgate, here is a very short history of NY style pizza:

When Italian immigrants brought pizza to NYC, they found that coal-fired brick ovens were cheaper and more readily available than the wood-fired brick ovens that are de rigeur in Naples, the birthplace of pizza. Those first immigrant pizza makers found a way to negotiate the high-heat ovens that had the coal in a separate compartment (unlike the wood-fired ovens that place the pizza just inches away from the licking flames) and New York-style pizza was born.

This style of Pizza was being served at places like Coney Island back in the late 1800's. So there!

I don't know why the stuff they make in Chicago is even called pizza. It's a totally different animal. They should call it something like Italian Pie or Baked Italian Skillet, or something like that.

And if I have to choose between eating it and NYC pizza. . .faggedaboudit. Gimme a slice from Famous Ray's every time. Slam dunk, no contest.

i love them both, but come on, man, famous ray's? john's of bleecker, some of the best pizza in the city.

just curious, where in brooklyn are you from?

i love them both, but come on, man, famous ray's? john's of bleecker, some of the best pizza in the city.

just curious, where in brooklyn are you from?

Famous Ray's was kinda an inside joke. . .there are over 100 independently owned pizza parlors in NYC that are named some combination/permutation of the words "Ray's", "Famous", and "Original". And they all have a mean slice. . .that is, all the ones I've been to.

I was born less than 5 minutes from Coney Island, right around King's Highway and Nostrand Ave. Lived there for my first 6 years, then Jersey, then Manhattan for 10 years, now Jersey again.

Famous Ray's was kinda an inside joke. . .there are over 100 independently owned pizza parlors in NYC that are named some combination/permutation of the words "Ray's", "Famous", and "Original". And they all have a mean slice. . .that is, all the ones I've been to.

I was born less than 5 minutes from Coney Island, right around King's Highway and Nostrand Ave. Lived there for my first 6 years, then Jersey, then Manhattan for 10 years, now Jersey again.

nice. we lived in park slope for a couple years. there was actually a pizza place called di fara's off coney island avenue that i heard was some of the best, but we never got to go there. my friend's parents were neighbors of the ray of famous ray's. i always thought those places were all related.