[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

black tuesday

dmarc117

USO is another valid option if you are still bullish on oil

ETA: I do like the idea of buying the top 10 holdings. I have never actually done that but have contemplated it. Shiznit, have you done this frequently and how has it worked out for you? I have considered doing it for VGPMX (which is closed) but it's virtually impossible as some of their holdings are 3k for a single share.

I have done this with the JennDry natural resources fund. I haven't bought the whole top ten holdings....just a few. But, I have outpaced the fund by 15%. However, as I noted, make sure you can stomach the risk because a natural resources or energy fund is risky enough....now limit yourself to three or four of a funds top ten holdings...and it is quite a bit riskier.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd buy bonds directly, not buy bond funds

I wouldn't do either if you're looking at long-term investing (eg for retirement). Great overall post though.

Meanwhile the only fund I have doing much of anything right now is my Nat Gas one :wacko:

One of my recent investments is Cheniere (LNG).

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=LNG

Cheniere has built liquid natural gas receipt/storage facilities. They dont make much sense right now because the worldwide price for natural gas is more than that in the US so it makes no sense to buy LNG from Africa for example and ship it to US. This is basically a play that the company will get bought out by a big oil company for good value in lieu of bankruptcy sale of assets. The facilities are worth big bucks.

One thing though is the stock is getting hammered by shorts. It may fall back into the 4s. If so, I think its an interesting buy.

Of course, you could lose your shirt easy. Dont gamble much ...

• 7 months later...