[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garth Brooks

Gopher

The second time I've seen him live.... he puts on a great show. The first time, about 10 years ago, was in Minneapolis (Target Center). I remember at the time reading that he was originally scheduled to play for like 5 consecutive nights, but when he heard that there were a number of people who waited in line and didn't get tickets, he actually offered to extend his "stay" and play for as many nights as they could sell out. If I remember right, he ended up playing for about 9-10 nights straight. And if you didn't know any better, you would assume that he was only putting on one show, if you based it on the energy and enthusiasm that he puts into his performance. Pretty incredible.

This time, he was in LA to put on a weekend benefit in honor of the fire fighters of Southern California. Five concerts between Friday and Saturday.... two on Friday and 1, 5, and 9 PM Saturday. All I can say is that I was seriously impressed with the energy level that he and his band put forth for the show that we saw, which was the Saturday 5 PM show (the 4th out of 5). Now, some may respond by saying "Well, I would have that much energy if I was making that much money, too." Here's the catch.... All of the tickets were $45. Didn't matter if you were standing in the front row, or in the back row of the upper level. And all proceeds went to victims of the fires in CA. Over $10 million dollars raised in 2 days. Very cool.

The concert, which was supposed to last 2 hours, actually spanned two and a half, including two encore performances. The second was probably the best part of the show. He came back out and brought one of the Staples Center employees out with him. She had apparently ran into him in the hallway, and asked him what it was like to stand on stage in front of that many people. His response was that his dad had always taught him that, in order to experience something 100%, you need to "jump in feet-first." So, he brought the girl out on stage with him, sang a couple of songs with her sitting there, and then asked everyone in the audience who had a camera or camera-phone to take a picture of the two of them on the count of three. It was pretty cool to see literally thousands of flashes go off at once, while this girl stood there in shock... she was obviously very emotional and told him that she was "afraid they're going to fire me." He told her that he would make sure they didn't, then did one more thing for her.... In case she "didn't get a picture of herself from anyone" who had taken one, he wanted to give her something to remember the concert by. He told her to give him her hat (one of those food service visors or whatever), then took off his and traded with her. I guarantee that girl will never forget that.... pretty cool.

Anyway, I'm sure many of you are not country fans, but I just thought I would share this story... It's always good to see a celebrity who remembers where they came from, and makes a point to give back to society when given the chance.

+1.

I saw Garth at Rupp Arena back in spring 1998 - incredible show, he did the same type of thing there - originally scheduled for a Friday night, but he ended up staying until Monday I think, and sold out all the shows. And the tickets were super affordable - I think the lower level and floor seats were $21 and the upper level were $19. I wish he'd tour again, one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I would gladly pay $200 a ticket to see him live again.

My daughter and her girlfriend drove up to see him Saturday night too. Despite the traffic getting out of L.A. afterwards she said the concert was amazing and well worth the price of admission especially considering it was for a good cause.