[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Strike?

#1 Niners Fan

It's asinine in the sense that this was agreed upon in 06...

Maybe to divert attention.

Gridiron Greats board member Mike Ditka, the Hall of Fame tight end and former Bears and Saints coach and current ESPN analyst, said he's madder at the system than any individual. Kramer held Upshaw personally accountable for failing to do enough. So did Turley.

"This is the direct fault of Gene Upshaw, the guys that have come before him and the guys who are with him now," Turley said.

Upshaw claimed his options were limited because rules prevent the NFLPA, by definition a union representing current players, from bargaining directly on behalf of former players.

"The only way that they come in as part of the bargaining unit, the owners have to waive their right," Upshaw said. "What the active players are able to do is take a piece of what we negotiate and give it to the retired players. As a matter of fact, we are giving the active players a lot and I am proud of what the active players are doing."

Kramer wasn't buying it, raising the case of former NFL great Herb Adderly.

"Herb Adderly, one of the reasons I got involved with this project, was getting $125 a month because he had taken an early retirement," Kramer told reporters. "Gene increased to $179 a month, so Herby is in the south of France now."

Upshaw appeared to push some of the blame on players who took early pensions, only to regret their decisions.

"I'm confident that we will [find a solution] and I am also confident that we are moving in the right direction by what we are doing," Upshaw said. "And with that being said, we will wait until the next meeting, we will continue to work at this and some people will be patient and some people will understand, but we cannot make up all the mistakes that players made 30 years ago."

Mike Sando is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

It sure does seem like we're headed for some labor strife.

In my halfway informed opinion, Upshaw gets way too much grief and not enough credit. He's a sly cat.

In hindsight, who had who on a "leash" Mr. Gumbel? Seems like Upshaw took advantage of a little Tagliabue complacency or weariness at the end of his tenure with this current CBA and how it got pushed through the owners.