[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Problems with Directv

Randall

I've had their HD DVR for a little over a year and have had to replace it 3 times, have had several techs out to fix the signal with no real success.

The picture and sound keep dropping in and out even when signal strength is high.

Now they are telling me the HDMI cable is the problem and I have to use component cables.

I suspect they don't know what to do. I want them to install a larger dish, but this is their solution. Is this BS on their part? I hate the component picture.

I got HD recently with Direct TV and it works great - except for local cable channels. On those, I get screens freezing, random pixelation on the screen and such. It is pretty much only with the local affiliates for ABC, Fox, NBC and CBS. I need to call them.

My HD-DVR from them is wacky. When it records (sometimes live TV but mostly recorded TV) the audio and picture arent in sync...meaning the lips move then I hear the words a few seconds later. It is distracting to say the least.

I have to reboot the entire DVR (takes about 5-10min) to fix this.

At my old place I used to get crappy picture and any cloud would make me lose the picture totally. I went to the roof with a buddy of mine and adjusted it myself and that problem went away.

My HD-DVR from them is wacky. When it records (sometimes live TV but mostly recorded TV) the audio and picture arent in sync...meaning the lips move then I hear the words a few seconds later. It is distracting to say the least.

I have to reboot the entire DVR (takes about 5-10min) to fix this.

Same problem here.

I've done some searches and found that it's a problem with DirectTV and the HDMI cable. DirectTV won't admit it's their problem but from what I've read they're working on it. It's really frustrating at times.

Link to some issues

Main Forum

Edited by twiley

Same problem here.

I've done some searches and found that it's a problem with DirectTV and the HDMI cable. DirectTV won't admit it's their problem but from what I've read they're working on it. It's really frustrating at times.

Link to some issues

Main Forum

Thanks everyone. I've had 3 receivers. The first one kept freezing and at the end I had to reset it about once an hour to get it to work.

The second woke me up with loud metallic noises(sounded like hard drive noises).

The 3rd is OK most of the time but pixillates a lot and loses audio. I use RCA cables for the audio and HDMI isn't involved.

I've had audio ot of sync too.

Should get a Tivo.

Edited by Randall

Thanks everyone. I've had 3 receivers. The first one kept freezing and at the end I had to reset it about once an hour to get it to work.

The second woke me up with loud metallic noises(sounded like hard drive noises).

The 3rd is OK most of the time but pixillates a lot and loses audio. I use RCA cables for the audio and HDMI isn't involved.

I've had audio ot of sync too.

Should get a Tivo.

HD Tivo doesnt work with D* (at least I dont think it does).

I have two of their HD DVR's, both hooked up to my TVs with HDMI cables and rarely have problems. There was some pixilation (sp?) during the Super Bowl half time show but it was only on Fox so I assumed that was a broadcast issue and not a satellite issue.

My HD channels have been giving me problems as well! I will see the picture, and certain sounds are like 4 seconds behind....You have no idea howfrustrating it is to watch a basketball game, see the ref raise his hand, and then hear a whistle 4 seconds later when the guy is already walking to the free throw line. Or a shooter will take a 15 foot jumper, miss, and then I hear "CLANK" in the background after the rebound has already been recovered.

I will be calling DirecTV if it's not fixed within the next few days.

BigMike

My HD channels have been giving me problems as well! I will see the picture, and certain sounds are like 4 seconds behind....You have no idea howfrustrating it is to watch a basketball game, see the ref raise his hand, and then hear a whistle 4 seconds later when the guy is already walking to the free throw line. Or a shooter will take a 15 foot jumper, miss, and then I hear "CLANK" in the background after the rebound has already been recovered.

I will be calling DirecTV if it's not fixed within the next few days.

BigMike

Yes I do. Read Twiley's links to the DTV boards above. It's like watching a foreign movie and looking for the subtitles.

They have told me maybe I can't get HDTV where I live or it's the HDMI cables. One tech did admit the HD-DVR's were rushed because there was so much demand and weren't ready for sale.

:knockonwood: I haven't had any problems with my HD DVR as of yet. Picture is great, the only thing I don't like is the volume on the Local HD channels gets so low you have to turn it all the way up on when you change channels it is so loud it drives my wife nuts :hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

the only thing I don't like is the volume on the Local HD channels gets so low you have to turn it all the way up on when you change channels it is so loud

I will agree with this. Audio on the HD local channels is lower then the non-HD Channels. It bothered me at first but I guess I've gotten used to it.

Edit: Oh and if Directv says it is a problem with the HDMI cables I'd ask them to come out and hook up their HDMI cables and show me that it works fine.

Edited by myhousekey

I will agree with this. Audio on the HD local channels is lower then the non-HD Channels. It bothered me at first but I guess I've gotten used to it.

Edit: Oh and if Directv says it is a problem with the HDMI cables I'd ask them to come out and hook up their HDMI cables and show me that it works fine.

I am 100% positive its not HDMI. I have 3 DVR units all running high quality HDMI cables and they ALL do this. I even switched HDMI cables (different companies).

I am not impressed with their HD DVRs at all. They are also slow

I'll agree that I liked the TIVO boxes better, but the Directv HD DVR's still beat allot of the DVR's I've seen that digital cable companies are using....

Edited by myhousekey

I am 100% positive its not HDMI. I have 3 DVR units all running high quality HDMI cables and they ALL do this. I even switched HDMI cables (different companies).

It's the box, I beat it out of a tech a few weeks ago. He said they're working on it but it's still a long way off from being resolved.