[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Complete Kitchen Remodel

devilwoman

I used Corian for my bar counter top but granite for the kitchen.

On a side note Corian SMELLS when you cut it. Not that you should have to cut it if you order it but I had a slab and cut it myself.. Yuck

Sure does. It also is always white in powder form. You can take a black Corian, cut it, and it creates white dust. it also scratches white, which is why Corian puts warnings on the dark colors that they may require more maintenance than lighter colors.

Talked to my guy today and he told me that in CA there are a lot of installers and a lot of granite available, that's why prices are so low. He also said there are about 30 basic colors that he can get for about $8-10 sq ft but once you get outside those colors it can jump to $20-25 sq ft and sometimes more. Since you are sort of isolated maybe that explains the high costs or your just getting one of the exotic colors he talked about.

Talked to my guy today and he told me that in CA there are a lot of installers and a lot of granite available, that's why prices are so low. He also said there are about 30 basic colors that he can get for about $8-10 sq ft but once you get outside those colors it can jump to $20-25 sq ft and sometimes more. Since you are sort of isolated maybe that explains the high costs or your just getting one of the exotic colors he talked about.

That's cheap. $50 a square foot here in KC.

I do apt maint for about 10 complexes and 1 of the owners, who owns 4 of those complexes is doing kitchen upgrades as tennants move. We went out and solicited bids from numerous cabinet installers and countertop installers. The owner wanted granite since it would stand up to the abuse of uncaring tennants. We finally settled on 1 company Duracite, who does both the cabinets and countertops. We had our regular countertop guy bid to install corian and an alternative that looks just as good but is cheaper. His bids were all higher than the Granite. Only his laminate was less and not much less. When i asked him why the Granite was cheaper he said that the supply of Granite was so huge that cost wise you can buy a slab of it cheaper than he can get the others and that it's not that much harder to install. I then went to Home Depot and priced the granite and others and found this to be true.

I'm not sure if this is just in my area or what, but the Granite should not cost you any more than the other types of counter tops unless color comes into the equation. We are installing a basic black w/white specs that looks very rich. If you want i can try and find out more info from my installer. I believe he said there were 6-8 colors to choose from at these prices.

Thanks alchico...I think I've pretty much decided on Granite and will go with a company here in Alaska.