[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Expelled, the movie

polksalet

Imagine that. Scientists being fired for putting fruity mythology ahead of empirical evidence... the foundation of science itself.

It's like a car mechanic at Meineke being fired for charging to fix cars with holistic methodology and aromatherapy. It's persecution!!

Of course that mechanic could open his own shop... then nobody could fire him. Wait a sec... couldn't these scientists start their own private programs too, or work at a school that supports religion over science? Then they couldn't be fired! :wacko:

Man, metaphors are neat.

• 10 months later...

i just saw this movie and i would encourage others to see it if you have not. i thought it took a different angle on this topic that is rarely discussed. the premise from stein is that the refusal to look at our world as one that was designed with intelligence prohibits scientists and universities from applying design/engineering type principles to research. when, in fact, if you do, it opens the doors to many new possibilities.

said differently, if you take a world view that we came to be via survival-based mutations driven by random events, i.e. evolution, then you will use that backdrop as your basis for your scientific research. all discoveries must tie back to this foundation. if, however, you take a world view that we were designed with intelligence, you can use an entirely different backdrop as your basis (design/engineering principles). thinking of the human body as something that was purposefully engineered to function as it does creates an entirely new paradigm from which to base new theories/approaches. the problem is that if any scientist lists intelligent design as the basis for their research, they are immediately discounted by today's establishment.

the challenge today is that anyone bringing up intelligent design is immediately associated with religion and the church and is therefore discounted on the belief that it is just a veiled attempt to get religion into the schools. stein presents a very different viewpoint.

where i think stein goes a bit far is tying in the hitler/holocaust angle as an example of where darwinist theories leads but i must admit, there were strong similarities. one could say that hitler was just speeding up the process of natural selection vs. letting evolution take it's course.

so check out the flick. it's worth the rental no matter on which side of the wall you stand.

i just saw this movie and i would encourage others to see it if you have not. i thought it took a different angle on this topic that is rarely discussed. the premise from stein is that the refusal to look at our world as one that was designed with intelligence prohibits scientists and universities from applying design/engineering type principles to research. when, in fact, if you do, it opens the doors to many new possibilities.

said differently, if you take a world view that we came to be via survival-based mutations driven by random events, i.e. evolution, then you will use that backdrop as your basis for your scientific research. all discoveries must tie back to this foundation. if, however, you take a world view that we were designed with intelligence, you can use an entirely different backdrop as your basis (design/engineering principles). thinking of the human body as something that was purposefully engineered to function as it does creates an entirely new paradigm from which to base new theories/approaches. the problem is that if any scientist lists intelligent design as the basis for their research, they are immediately discounted by today's establishment.

the challenge today is that anyone bringing up intelligent design is immediately associated with religion and the church and is therefore discounted on the belief that it is just a veiled attempt to get religion into the schools. stein presents a very different viewpoint.

where i think stein goes a bit far is tying in the hitler/holocaust angle as an example of where darwinist theories leads but i must admit, there were strong similarities. one could say that hitler was just speeding up the process of natural selection vs. letting evolution take it's course.

so check out the flick. it's worth the rental no matter on which side of the wall you stand.

This is well-put, and captures the essence of the film, IMO. I watched it a while back but just didn't bring it up here because of the wonderful circularity of our theological arguments. IMO, the way this movie articulates the principle, it isn't really theology-driven.

Except that if you do a little bit of research into it, you find that all the bizarre claims in the movie are false.

Google the title and read anything from the people not promoting the movie.

Like man made global warming?

Before said research is commenced, what are some of the bizarre claims are you suggesting are false.

i think stein was a bit over dramatic, more than he needed to be. i also wasn't sure after watching just how negatively those called out in the film were actually affected by "the establishment." i think they endured some level of hardship, but it seemed like ben was doing all he could to paint these folks as now hopeless, which i doubt is the case. he also did not delve all that deeply into evolution and just why so many believe it to be seriously flawed or the merits of the theory. he focused more on how life began vs. how life may evolve after it has already started. this is relevant, but it introduces entirely new avenues of debate (although it was amusing to hear dawkins state that it is possible that we could have been seeded here by intelligent aliens while he does not believe it possible that god exists). the tie in with hitler was just not necessary, imo, but was interesting. the distinction between micro and macro evolution was surfaced a couple of times, but not focused on. again, rather than tackle these more interesting topics, stein went to the holocaust.

so i can see how many would have plenty to attack here.