[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama and Concealed Carry

Jimmy Neutron

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a T-72 would get you to work just fine and can probably be had for $2.7 million less than an Abrams.

There's a whole community of Russians living just a few blocks from here. I can probably get a BMP and a BRDM-2 as well. :wacko:

They already have, Yuke - and they are trying for more. There are bills in the House that would outlaw my goose gun, deer rifle and handguns. HR1022 is pretty well dead in committee, but it would have outlawed most sporting arms, including the Ruger 10/22. The freakin' M1 Garand was banned under the assault weapon ban if it had a bayonnet. Thank God for that - all of those gory bayonnet slayings we read so much about stopped immediately. :wacko:

California is trying to serialize individual bullets. That should tell folks what the end goal is - bullets are malleable and won't hold serial numbers under impact. The goal is to make the manufacturing process so costly, A) manufacturers won't make it and :D people can't afford to buy it.

It ain't about gun control - it's about people control. :D

If it died in committee Jimmy...that is because some democrats wanted it to die in committe...since they hold the majority on every committee.

Personally, I think the statistics bear out that if you have a properly trained person, conceal carry actually lowers violent crime. I am in favor of conceal carry but only if there is a safety class taken and a few hours on a range.....kinda like a drivers license.

But to say it is your second ammenment right to conceal carry or even go hunting with a gun is not the way to approach the issue. Clearly your right is to own the gun.....beyond that, it is not so clear.

Clearly your right is to own the gun.....beyond that, it is not so clear.

To some perhaps, but in my view it is an inalienable right that I hold fast to. I will no sooner give up my guns than I will cease praying to my God. :wacko:

To some perhaps, but in my view it is an inalienable right that I hold fast to. I will no sooner give up my guns than I will cease praying to my God. :wacko:

You wouldn't have to..........you just wouldn't be able to do anything with them.

I don't think you would have to give up your gun. I think weapons bans are silly.....but what is the true personal usefulness of an RPG? I mean where do we draw the line.

Like in the gay marriage debate....when idiots on the far right start talking about people marrying animals...like that could ACTUALLY happen!!! Those guys get to argue slippery slope...so will you be my huckleberry? Where would you say is the appropriate line to draw as to which weapons are ok to own and those which are not. remember, I am a conceal carry supporter....I think it is a much deeper conversation philosphically than what has been hit on just yet.

I don't think you would have to give up your gun. I think weapons bans are silly.....but what is the true personal usefulness of an RPG? I mean where do we draw the line.

Like in the gay marriage debate....when idiots on the far right start talking about people marrying animals...like that could ACTUALLY happen!!! Those guys get to argue slippery slope...so will you be my huckleberry? Where would you say is the appropriate line to draw as to which weapons are ok to own and those which are not. remember, I am a conceal carry supporter....I think it is a much deeper conversation philosphically than what has been hit on just yet.

That is a very good a tough question. Frankly, I have no problem with anyone owning any type of small arm. If anyone abuses the another's property or person with a firearm, they should have the full and heavy book thrown at them. As has been mentioned, our society is way too tolerant of gun crimes now - we don't prosecute many of the laws that are already on the books.

What use us an RPG? Unfortunately, I don't know. I don't own any yet. :wacko: I do have friends with .50 BMGs, an array of Class 3 (full auto) rifles and pistols and stockpiles of claymores in their basements. Yeah, they're a little nuts, but no more so than some other friends of mine that don't care to be armed.

I don't know where the line should be drawn. My belief system is that good government should always err on the side of personal liberty, be it guns, abortion, drugs or business.

Anting nuclear should require a permit, anything non-nuclear is fine. That is my line.

Anting nuclear should require a permit, anything non-nuclear is fine. That is my line.

then why do we hae driver's ed? Shouldn't that just be. And why do we need insurance to drive.....you hold gun owners to a lower standard than auto owners....why?

then why do we hae driver's ed? Shouldn't that just be. And why do we need insurance to drive.....you hold gun owners to a lower standard than auto owners....why?

guns require a lot less instruction to operate safley. Do you fell we should give knife owners permits as well? Trust me, if I came at you with my 24" crocodile machete knife you would be in just as bad of shape as if I came with my AK.

guns require a lot less instruction to operate safley. Do you fell we should give knife owners permits as well? Trust me, if I came at you with my 24" crocodile machete knife you would be in just as bad of shape as if I came with my AK.

Not really....I can outrun you....being I am 34 and still pretty athletic...or at least I have a chance....the bullets of the AK...not so much.

maybe....I don't know....I would think that is so since virtually everyone has at least one vehicle.

Auto accidents kill more people than people using guns - it's not even close.

Heck, according to FBI statistics, half of all violent crime involves alcohol - maybe we should ban alcohol. I wonder how well that would work? :wacko:

Auto accidents kill more people than people using guns - it's not even close.

Heck, according to FBI statistics, half of all violent crime involves alcohol - maybe we should ban alcohol. I wonder how well that would work? :wacko:

I am not suggesting banning.

What I am suggesting is not all that hard. If you would like to conceal carry, you have to be "licensed." You have to pass a basic firearm knowledge and safety test and have 12 hours of verifiable range time. If you want a gun for home....background check is all that is needed....is this too much to ask?

I am not suggesting banning.

What I am suggesting is not all that hard. If you would like to conceal carry, you have to be "licensed." You have to pass a basic firearm knowledge and safety test and have 12 hours of verifiable range time. If you want a gun for home....background check is all that is needed....is this too much to ask?

What you are asking is already largely in place. You do have to pass a background check to buy a gun - even at gun shows. These checks are "instant" - actually taking 5-10 minutes. Most states allow private sales without these checks, but anyone licensed to sell firearms is required to conduct them.

Each state has their own requirements for CCW permits. Some are stringent, some are not. I believe Vermont is the only state that allows concealed carry without a permit. Vermont is cool.

What you are asking is already largely in place. You do have to pass a background check to buy a gun - even at gun shows. These checks are "instant" - actually taking 5-10 minutes. Most states allow private sales without these checks, but anyone licensed to sell firearms is required to conduct them.

Each state has their own requirements for CCW permits. Some are stringent, some are not. I believe Vermont is the only state that allows concealed carry without a permit. Vermont is cool.

I guess my question would be would you want the country to be more like Vermont....or more like what I suggested?

I guess my question would be would you want the country to be more like Vermont....or more like what I suggested?

More like Vermont without question. :wacko:

I don't want the government trying to protect me. It does a miserable job trying to do so in areas it has fully assumed that mantle. Those borders are sure secure, eh? How about the purview of the FDA, feel protected? Homeland security - the seem more adept at interior decorating with their love of color and all. I'm not nearly as hard on FEMA as others were after Katrina, but you get the idea. How about that DEA - glad they have such a vice grip on the illegal drug trade!

Please understand my point, I'm not trying to slam the hard working men and women that work for these agencies. I am trying to point out that our government is ill-equiped to discuss these issues intelligently, let alone going about solving these problems. Why waste the taxpayer money?

The gun registration program in Canada is a fine example. Good idea, peopel thought - we should know who has what guns. While Canada does not have quite the gun culture the US does, most of my fine Canadian brothers in arms have simply said, "F**k that!" Compliance levels are very low and the project is nearing $1 billion in cost overruns. Brilliant! Let's do the same thing here!