[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

College Hoops

billay

Since there are so few of us who actually like to talk college hoops around here (and I've been forced to join the PAC-10 threads to get my daily fix) I thought I'd consolidate Big Dance talk to one thread.

Happy to see UNC get the top spot in both polls this week. I think the coaches poll is a better representation of the top seeds with UCLA #2 and Memphis and Tenn following after that.

Should we have some sort of friendly ACC / PAC-10 sigline wager for whoever gets more teams in the dance?

I'll stand proud for the ACC as well.

Sorry my posts have been limited...I'm blocked from the site duing the week at work except on Tues. and Thur.

I will say on behalf of the HOOS...with lasts night win over GT, it's nice to be out of the ACC cellar.

Of course if this turns out to just be a NCAA tourney thread, it doesn't appear I'll have much to offer as the HOOS are OUT this year and have been for some time.

VIG...good to see you in hoops thread again, you've been absent for awhile.

I'll stand proud for the ACC as well.

Sorry my posts have been limited...I'm blocked from the site duing the week at work except on Tues. and Thur.

I will say on behalf of the HOOS...with lasts night win over GT, it's nice to be out of the ACC cellar.

Of course if this turns out to just be a NCAA tourney thread, it doesn't appear I'll have much to offer as the HOOS are OUT this year and have been for some time.

VIG...good to see you in hoops thread again, you've been absent for awhile.

Think you guys can give the Dookies a run for their money ?

Think you guys can give the Dookies a run for their money ?

at home...I don't see why not. We hung pretty tough with you guys at home (of course with Lawson on the bench) so hopefully we can build on that. Our team is a different team with Lars back in the mix down in the paint.

It'll be tough, but hopefully we can run with 'em

at home...I don't see why not. We hung pretty tough with you guys at home (of course with Lawson on the bench) so hopefully we can build on that. Our team is a different team with Lars back in the mix down in the paint.

It'll be tough, but hopefully we can run with 'em

Yeah, where's he been all year? He's a solid post player.

I'm not going to bet because I'm not the Pac-10 freak some people are. I see the conference as having a ton of talent (I'd put our all-conference team against any in the country and we will smoke you by a dozen every night), but I honestly am not sure that UCLA or Stanford are going to do that much damage in the tournament. Washington St. might be the team that ends up the farthest along.

I'm not going to bet because I'm not the Pac-10 freak some people are. I see the conference as having a ton of talent (I'd put our all-conference team against any in the country and we will smoke you by a dozen every night), but I honestly am not sure that UCLA or Stanford are going to do that much damage in the tournament. Washington St. might be the team that ends up the farthest along.

couldn't disagree more.

I think WSU is one of the more beatable teams that will be dancing. UCLA not do much damage? Minus 3 point shooting they are arguably the most complete team in the country, and with Collison/Westbrook 2 of the best guards- and I think will be in the elite 8 at minimum. I think Stan is gonna be a tough out, and I think USC will be a tough out as well b/c both teams get after you defensively. if UA gets Wise back they can beat anyone on a given night.

Dayum, I am getting fired up for March Madness

just booked my opening round Vegas trip over the weekend -

couldn't disagree more.

You were a minute slow on the response....:wacko:

I think WSU is one of the more beatable teams that will be dancing.

If you got a week to prepare for them, yes. If you have two days, I disagree. They stifle as good as any team not coached by Mike Montgomery this conference has seen in 20 years. The reason they lost to Vanderbilt in OT in the S16 was because they had zero 3 pt shooting in the 2nd half. Correct that and they're beating Georgetown in the E8 (Remember Green's travel to win @ the buzzer?).

That was last year I realize, but they bring a unique style to the tournament. If they're a #6 seed, and get a #3 seed in the 2nd Round from a weaker conference that has two days to prepare for them, watch out. Any upsets of a #2 seed, or they draw a weak-2 like Xavier or Vanderbilt, and I could see them getting a shot at the F4. Remember the only teams that have beat them this year are UCLA, Stanford, and Arizona (and Cal, but they corrected that in Berkley last weekend).

UCLA not do much damage? Minus 3 point shooting they are arguably the most complete team in the country, and with Collison/Westbrook 2 of the best guards- and I think will be in the elite 8 at minimum. I think Stan is gonna be a tough out, and I think USC will be a tough out as well b/c both teams get after you defensively. if UA gets Wise back they can beat anyone on a given night.

UCLA could win the whole thing, or they could drop it in the 2nd Round. They are that kind of powerhouse. I'm just saying that I could see them sleepwalkng for 38 minutes against a lesser talented team that hangs around long enough to pop them. And Stanford and USC are both tough outs. I didn't say the conference doesn't have good teams, I just envision matchup/seeding issues for everyone that isn't UCLA.

And UA need to beat *SOMEONE* before they get a chance to beat anyone.

Just for fun, here are my projected final ACC standing and how that would translate into tourney matchups:

UNC 14-2 (beats FSU, beats Dook)

Dook 13-3 (beats UVA, loses to UNC)

Clemson 11-5 (beats GT, beats VT)

Miami 9-7 (beats BC, beats FSU)

Maryland 9-7 (beats UVA)

Wake Forest 8-8 (beats VT, beats NC State)

Virginia Tech 8-8 (loses to Wake, loses to Clemson)

Florida State 6-10 (loses UNC, loses to Miami)

Boston College 5-11 (loses to Miami, beats GT)

Georgia Tech 5-11 (loses to Clemson, loses to BC)

Virginia 4-12 (loses to Dook, loses to UMD)

NC State 4-12 (loses to Wake)

ACC Tourney

#8 FSU / #9 BC vs. #1 UNC

#5 UMD / #12 NC State vs. #4 Miami

#9 VT / #10 GT vs. #2 Dook

#6 Wake / #11 UVA vs. #3 Clemson

As an UNC fan, I do not want to play Clemson again. I have a hard time seeing us beat them for a 3rd time. The game in Durham will be big as I think the top half of the bracket is much easier than the bottom half, and with all the fluctuations possible in these projections, Clemson is going to end up as 3rd in the conference no matter what. I think Dook could be vulnerable to Wake Forest again, but I really don't see the Deacs getting past Clemson. Just not enough size.

If things play out this way, I think the ACC could get 6 teams in with Wake Forest sliding in on virtue of winning their last 2 conference games and 1 in the tournament.

You were a minute slow on the response....:D

If you got a week to prepare for them, yes. If you have two days, I disagree. They stifle as good as any team not coached by Mike Montgomery this conference has seen in 20 years. The reason they lost to Vanderbilt in OT in the S16 was because they had zero 3 pt shooting in the 2nd half. Correct that and they're beating Georgetown in the E8 (Remember Green's travel to win @ the buzzer?).

That was last year I realize, but they bring a unique style to the tournament. If they're a #6 seed, and get a #3 seed in the 2nd Round from a weaker conference that has two days to prepare for them, watch out. Any upsets of a #2 seed, or they draw a weak-2 like Xavier or Vanderbilt, and I could see them getting a shot at the F4. Remember the only teams that have beat them this year are UCLA, Stanford, and Arizona (and Cal, but they corrected that in Berkley last weekend).

UCLA could win the whole thing, or they could drop it in the 2nd Round. They are that kind of powerhouse. I'm just saying that I could see them sleepwalkng for 38 minutes against a lesser talented team that hangs around long enough to pop them. And Stanford and USC are both tough outs. I didn't say the conference doesn't have good teams, I just envision matchup/seeding issues for everyone that isn't UCLA.

And UA need to beat *SOMEONE* before they get a chance to beat anyone.

GTS - I l ike it - NCAA tourney talk :wacko: - see here is the thing with WSU and I love them........... I use UA as a good example bc they swept them and really didn't have much trouble doing it.... A team with 2 tough, quick quards and an athletic 3, and an active post gives them major trouble. As good as Low has been, the reality is he and Rochestie just can't stack up against a more athletic, bigger backcourt- UA did whatever they wanted offensively, and other teams can expose WSU, who has a very thin margin for error IMO. I think Bennett gets the maximum out of those guys, but let's face it- not the most talented group out there.

UCLA is just too damn solid defensively to lay an egg- Howland just won't let it happen.

gotta run more later

Just for fun, here are my projected final ACC standing and how that would translate into tourney matchups:

UNC 14-2 (beats FSU, beats Dook)

Dook 13-3 (beats UVA, loses to UNC)

Clemson 11-5 (beats GT, beats VT)

Miami 9-7 (beats BC, beats FSU)

Maryland 9-7 (beats UVA)

Wake Forest 8-8 (beats VT, beats NC State)

Virginia Tech 8-8 (loses to Wake, loses to Clemson)

Florida State 6-10 (loses UNC, loses to Miami)

Boston College 5-11 (loses to Miami, beats GT)

Georgia Tech 5-11 (loses to Clemson, loses to BC)

Virginia 4-12 (loses to Dook, loses to UMD)

NC State 4-12 (loses to Wake)

ACC Tourney

#8 FSU / #9 BC vs. #1 UNC

#5 UMD / #12 NC State vs. #4 Miami

#9 VT / #10 GT vs. #2 Dook

#6 Wake / #11 UVA vs. #3 Clemson

As an UNC fan, I do not want to play Clemson again. I have a hard time seeing us beat them for a 3rd time. The game in Durham will be big as I think the top half of the bracket is much easier than the bottom half, and with all the fluctuations possible in these projections, Clemson is going to end up as 3rd in the conference no matter what. I think Dook could be vulnerable to Wake Forest again, but I really don't see the Deacs getting past Clemson. Just not enough size.

If things play out this way, I think the ACC could get 6 teams in with Wake Forest sliding in on virtue of winning their last 2 conference games and 1 in the tournament.

Wake huh? wow, I thought they were sitting at 7th in the pecking order.....

I think the ACC gets 5 with Va Tech/MD just missing the cut depending on how they finish up

Wake huh? wow, I thought they were sitting at 7th in the pecking order.....

I think the ACC gets 5 with Va Tech/MD just missing the cut depending on how they finish up

Well, after that stinker they put up last night you can forget about it. I was obviously overly optimistic. :wacko: If VT and UMD can both win out and win 1 game in the tourney, I think they'll both get in.