[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Prosperity through subsistence farming

polksalet

I'll brew beer.....Polk will be the leader of the hippie cult.

Cool, I'll be entertainment director.

That and I'll teach you how to fix your beer. :wacko:

Yeah I know this is a bizarre thread title but I think it might work. As most of you know I come from a long line of poor white Arkie and Texans who got by the best they could. My idea is that as food and fuel prices are skyrocketing this inflation will eat away at many of the gains we are all working for. My idea is that if I could grow as much of my vegetables and meat as possible it would benefit my family greatly. Because I live in an area with a great economy and very high land prices I am unable to buy land to do this on. I have an acre of land where I could easily grow a very large garden and an 18,000 acre lake 3 miles away I could use for a water supply to grow this stuff.

For meat my mom-in-law has a 4 acre thicket up in Arkansas. Because my brother-in-law lives with her I could start a small goat herd. I would have to fence it in and buy a few head of Boer goats to start the project but the cost for that is minimal. I would have to feed the goats very little because of all the brush and grass for them to feed on. I think I can yield 3-5 250 pound goats per year. I also plan to supplement this by massacring 3 deer annually. I think this will save me several thousand per year in food bills.

Any thoughts??

The wife and I raised dairy goats (Nubians mostly) for about five years and I have butchered lots of 6-9 month old animals. I can't even imagine what a 250 pound goat would taste like or how you would cook such meat. If done carefully goat (commonly called chevon) can be tasty but I don't know if I would want it to be a meat replacement for beef in my diet. I'd rather have one of those 250 pound animals be a beef calf (which would actually be a waste of an animal). I'm not trying to rain on the parade because I once thought of trying to go the self-sufficient, organically grown route myself. But to really pull it off requires a full time commitment and a lot of patience and a willingness to forsake much of what society in America believes to be essential.

That said, there's not much more fun than a goat b-b-que with homemade brew and good friends to share it with. And after a while hippie women start to smell like farm animals.

The wife and I raised dairy goats (Nubians mostly) for about five years and I have butchered lots of 6-9 month old animals. I can't even imagine what a 250 pound goat would taste like or how you would cook such meat. If done carefully goat (commonly called chevon) can be tasty but I don't know if I would want it to be a meat replacement for beef in my diet. I'd rather have one of those 250 pound animals be a beef calf (which would actually be a waste of an animal). I'm not trying to rain on the parade because I once thought of trying to go the self-sufficient, organically grown route myself. But to really pull it off requires a full time commitment and a lot of patience and a willingness to forsake much of what society in America believes to be essential.

That said, there's not much more fun than a goat b-b-que with homemade brew and good friends to share it with. And after a while hippie women start to smell like farm animals.

Not that I will be into eating giant Boar goars but I have heard they can hit 400 pounds. A friend has some nannies that get close to three he claims. I have eaten boaers over 150 pounds and they ain't bad. I have also not encountered the meat product that a crock pot cannot render tender.

Rules are pretty strict, but the benefits are good. However, IRS likes to bust people on this (I'm in litigation over this issue right now, my client has a 40,000 acre ranch, and the IRS is still giving him a hard time). At a bare minimum, you'd need to be able to demonstrate that you had a reasonable expectation for turning a profit. If that ain't the case, then you should probably just leave the tax shenanigans alone.

40 ,000 small family farm :D:D:brew::D:D:wacko:

stay away from big animals... stick to birds that are close to there wild kin... and pray

I've never heard Yukon endorse praying before.

It's difficult to figure out if he actually means "prey", or if this was some kind of joke, or if it was something even more horribly misspelled. :wacko:

40 ,000 small family farm :D:D:brew::D:D:wacko:

My point was that, despite 40,000 acres, the IRS is still arguing his ranching activity was just a hobby. Despite all the lip service politicians pay to protecting farmers, the IRS is typically hostile to folks who aren't full-time farmers.

My point was that, despite 40,000 acres, the IRS is still arguing his ranching activity was just a hobby. Despite all the lip service politicians pay to protecting farmers, the IRS is typically hostile to folks who aren't full-time farmers.

true very true