[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Books on tape

BigMikeinNY

I bought my first book on tape this past week. John Grisham - The Appeal

Well it's on cd of course, not tape. I've been listening to it in the car on my trips to and from work. Gotta say I am really enjoying it! The are sorta expensive, $45.00 for the 12 disc set, but I will deff. be buying another after I finish this one.

Anyone else?

I joined audible.com and paid to become platinum (or whatever metal it is) member. Avg cost by doing so is $9 and change. I download the books and listen to them on my ipod. I love it. I drive a fair amount and the time in the car is much more enjoyable now.

Guest Chappy

Sounds like a great idea and a solid way of passing the time on a long commute. However, I don't have much of a commute at all so this wouldn't be for me.

Someone on here suggested www.librivox.org, and now I love it. I get books for my Ipod, and it makes the 15mile bike rides much easier. They don't have a huge selection (only books in the public domain), but there's plenty for me (I'm really into the Sherlock Holmes at the moment).

When my commute was 30 minutes I listened to a lot of them. Some were good, and some weren't. In addition to the book needing to be good, the reader has to be non-annoying too.

Michael Crichton's "Prey" was pretty good from a story and audio perspective.

The reading talent for Piers Anthony's books was annoying, I could barely listen.

Stephen King's Secret Window was read very well by James Woods, but the book was a tank. I hate it when the big twist of the book is obvious from chapter 2 to when they finally dramatically reveal it at the end. "Well... duh."

I bought my first book on tape this past week. John Grisham - The Appeal

Well it's on cd of course, not tape. I've been listening to it in the car on my trips to and from work. Gotta say I am really enjoying it! The are sorta expensive, $45.00 for the 12 disc set, but I will deff. be buying another after I finish this one.

Anyone else?

I rent them at Hastings. Great way to make a long car ride more enjoyable. They charge about $5.00 per 10 days.

A couple of Grishams that I have listed to lately are Bleachers and A Painted House.

Both good reads/listens.

I joined audible.com and paid to become platinum (or whatever metal it is) member. Avg cost by doing so is $9 and change. I download the books and listen to them on my ipod. I love it. I drive a fair amount and the time in the car is much more enjoyable now.

Yeah audible is great and an Ipod is a lot more managable than 12 disks!

I'd mentioned Librivox before but haven't really tried it since I get more than I need and can listen to from Audible.