[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting story about Obama's family

Randall

OP-ED COLUMNIST

Obama’s Brother in China

By ROGER COHEN

Published: March 17, 2008

BRUSSELS

So there I was, a couple of weeks back, sitting under a mango tree in western Kenya, when Senator Barack Obama’s half-sister Auma says to me:

“My daughter’s father is British. My mom’s brother is married to a Russian. I have a brother in China engaged to a Chinese woman.”

My understanding is that this half brother living in China is Mark. He’s the son of Obama’s father and an American woman named Ruth, whom Obama Sr. met while at Harvard in the 1960s and brought back to Kenya.

That was after his marriage with Obama’s mother in Hawaii ended. Another son from the union with Ruth, called David, was killed in a motorcycle accident. In all, Obama Sr. fathered eight children by four women.

I’ve been thinking about this because not enough has been written about Obama’s family. As Auma suggested, it’s unusual in the extent of its continent-crossing, religion-melding, color-fusing richness. But the Benetton-ad family is less unusual than it may seem. This is the age of globalized, far-flung families. Remittances make the world go round.

More needs to be written because if Obama gets the Democratic nomination, you know the Republican attack machine, through innuendo and otherwise, will go after his identity, just as it went after Senator John Kerry’s in 2004.

The difference is that Obama is much more certain and coherent about who he is than Kerry was. He has built his identity in a shifting world; that resonates with a lot of Americans. His radical Chicago pastor contributed to that journey. Now Obama has grown beyond him. I have no problem with that.

But you can already see the headlines: Obama has brother in China! You can hear the whisperings about a polygamous father.

That not enough has been written about his family is strange in that Obama himself devoted a remarkable book, “Dreams From My Father,” to his quest to fill the void left by an absent Dad.

As Auma said to me: “He was trying to figure out who he was. He needed to be whole to be able to do what he’s doing now. He went about it the right way. A big chunk of his life was missing. It’s very healthy that he now knows he has these roots here.”

Those roots were discovered during Obama’s first visit to Kenya two decades ago. During that trip, as recounted in his memoir, he encountered Ruth in Nairobi. She is described as “a white woman with a long jaw and graying hair.”

But who is Ruth, a woman who divorced Obama’s father, remarried, and gave the family name of her second husband to her two sons by Obama Sr.? In the book she says, with less than exquisite tact, to Barack Obama: “But your mother remarried. I wonder why she had you keep your name?”

As for Ruth’s son, and Obama’s half brother, Mark, the one in China, he’s described as studying physics at Stanford in the 1980s. “The things Mark studies are so complicated only a handful of people really understand it at all,” Ruth enthuses.

But Mark, “a black man of my height and complexion,” tells Obama his work’s a breeze. He expresses limited interest in their shared father who died in 1982 at 46: “Life’s hard enough without all the excess baggage,” he muses.

If nominated, Obama’s family baggage will get pored over. Four years ago, Bush’s people cast Kerry as un-American for speaking French. A Republican camp campaigning at the sorry nadir of Bush’s handiwork will try to portray the war hero John McCain as more American and patriotic than his opponent.

But things are different. Less fearful, Americans are less willing to be manipulated. They’ve backed Obama this far in part because they’re sick of the narrow American exceptionalism of Bush’s divisive rule.

Never before have U.S. fortunes been so tied to the world’s. Americans see that. When your mortgage is packaged into some ingenious security that’s sold to a German bank before the scheme unravels and you lose your house, the globe looks smaller.

With some 30 percent of the revenue of U.S. corporations coming from overseas, and the Chinese buying American debt, and more than seven million people naturalized in the past decade, it’s harder to separate America’s fate from that of others. Isolationism is not merely wrong, it’s impossible.

If elected, Obama would be the first genuinely 21st-century leader. The China-Indonesia-Kenya-Britain-Hawaii web mirrors a world in flux. In Kenya, his uncle Sayid, a Muslim, told me: “My Islam is a hybrid, a mix of elements, including my Christian schooling and even some African ways. Many values have dissolved in me.”

Obama’s bridge-building instincts come from somewhere. They are rooted and proven. For an expectant and often alienated world, they are of central significance.

Blog: www.iht.com/passages

And this helps explain, perhaps, my relationship with Reverend Wright. As imperfect as he may be, he has been like family to me. He strengthened my faith, officiated my wedding, and baptized my children. Not once in my conversations with him have I heard him talk about any ethnic group in derogatory terms, or treat whites with whom he interacted with anything but courtesy and respect. He contains within him the contradictions – the good and the bad – of the community that he has served diligently for so many years.

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.

These people are a part of me. And they are a part of America, this country that I love.

You want change

Edited by moneymakers

I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.

I hear him on that on fer sure!

The oil and vinegar is retired......it is no longer his church.

The minister retired awhile back. I think it's still his church with another pastor.

The right wing keeps trying to link him to being in church during one of those statements but can't.

A few days ago neo con Bill Crystal in the NY Times said he was in church then but took a false story from Newsmax and just posted it without checking.

The minister retired awhile back. I think it's still his church with another pastor.

The right wing keeps trying to link him to being in church during one of those statements but can't.

A few days ago neo con Bill Crystal in the NY Times said he was in church then but took a false story from Newsmax and just posted it without checking.

Randall....I watched the speech this morning....and he admitted to being in the pews when Wright said other things that might be considered very "questionable". He said he wasn't there when these comments were made though. Either way, did anyone ask what the spiritual advisor the CEO of Bear Sterns was preaching....right now that seems a tiny bit more relevant.

And the left wing keeps trying to misdirect because they know that Obama f'ed up big-time.

Randall....I watched the speech this morning....and he admitted to being in the pews when Wright said other things that might be considered very "questionable".

:wacko:

I don't know what Obama was thinking by adopting this guy as his "spiritual advisor." He had to know that sucking up to a racist/anti-Semite/anti-American would come back to bite him. Was it really worth it to look credible to the black community?

Edited by Bill Swerski

QUOTE(TheShiznit @ 3/18/08 1:14pm)

Randall....I watched the speech this morning....and he admitted to being in the pews when Wright said other things that might be considered very "questionable".

I don't know what Obama was thinking by adopting this guy as his "spiritual advisor." He had to know that sucking up to a racist/anti-Semite/anti-American would come back to bite him. Was it really worth it to look credible to the black community?

Bill....not to justify this pastor's words at all, but do you really have enough history to call Obama's twenty years with this guy what you have here. This is the problem with political discourse in our country. You equate 6 minutes of youtube video with a life worth of work. Are his words...the ones on you tube defendable.....not really...but nothing Ron Paul didn't say....Ron Paul just used a more civil tongue. Now, I would have to believe that this guy started out with Obama preaching the gosphel and about social justice...which in black churches...or at least some of them...I understand to be the norm. But when 9/11 happened...seems the dude went off the deepend....or at least it could be interpreted that way. I couldn't tell you in the slightest how often this guy preached like this....and you can't say for sure either. We could poll the church members....but they would be biased.....at least that would be the claim...so we are only left with Obama's word and his condemnation of the particular speech in question...and others he said he disagreed with. I could go on...but I will stop here so we can have.....hoping......a decent open minded...high minded dialogue about this...or maybe you will choose not to.....your call.

Bill....not to justify this pastor's words at all, but do you really have enough history to call Obama's twenty years with this guy what you have here. This is the problem with political discourse in our country. You equate 6 minutes of youtube video with a life worth of work. Are his words...the ones on you tube defendable.....not really...but nothing Ron Paul didn't say....Ron Paul just used a more civil tongue. Now, I would have to believe that this guy started out with Obama preaching the gosphel and about social justice...which in black churches...or at least some of them...I understand to be the norm. But when 9/11 happened...seems the dude went off the deepend....or at least it could be interpreted that way. I couldn't tell you in the slightest how often this guy preached like this....and you can't say for sure either. We could poll the church members....but they would be biased.....at least that would be the claim...so we are only left with Obama's word and his condemnation of the particular speech in question...and others he said he disagreed with. I could go on...but I will stop here so we can have.....hoping......a decent open minded...high minded dialogue about this...or maybe you will choose not to.....your call.

Wright and Farrakhan went to Libya to visit Ghadaffi back in the mid-'80s. If my priest did that, I'd be looking for another parish. I wouldn't let this guy preside over my wedding or baptize my children. And I ESPECIALLY wouldn't if I were running for public office, where my associations would be constantly under the microscope.

I have a really difficult time believing that Obama was ignorant of Wright's hateful views, which had been apparent for over 20 years. Obama's an intelligent guy and he obviously knew. CLEARLY, his association with Wright was an attempt to gain clout in the Black community as "one of them" (Obama is only part Black and was born in Hawaii... not exactly the appropriate pedigree for inner-city Chicago politicians).

I agree that Wright probably has many positive qualities and that his anti-Caucasian and anti-Semitic tongue shouldn't define him as a human being. But if he makes statements like those IN PUBLIC (I wonder what he's like off the record :wacko:) AND hangs out with people like Farrakhan, one has to question his moral authority and, moreover, his santiy. I don't believe that Obama is anything like Jeremiah Wright, and it's kind of sad that he chose to cozy up to him in order to garner the necessary "street cred" to advance his career.

Edited by Bill Swerski

You read this in your college textbooks?

Wright and Farrakhan went to Libya to visit Ghadaffi back in the mid-'80s. If my priest did that, I'd be looking for another parish. I wouldn't let this guy preside over my wedding or baptize my children. And I ESPECIALLY wouldn't if I were running for public office, where my associations would be constantly under the microscope.

Yes they did...do you know why...or are you just listening to the HATE filled speech of Rush and Sean Hannity? I will look forward to your answer.

I have a really difficult time believing that Obama was ignorant of Wright's hateful views, which had been apparent for over 20 years. Obama's an intelligent guy and he obviously knew. CLEARLY, his association with Wright was an attempt to gain clout in the Black community as "one of them" (Obama is only part Black and was born in Hawaii... not exactly the appropriate pedigree for inner-city Chicago politicians).

You have no idea if he did sermons like this for 20 years. Again....find out why he went to Libya with Farrakhan....oh yeah....and Jesse Jackson....you might want to know in case you seem like the one spewing hate. Again, Farrakhan uttered rediculous statements at the Million Man March....and those statement have been repudiated by most black leaders...but you do not just throw the baby out with the bath water do you? Again....go read why Wright said that Farrakhan was a great black leader....it wasn't because he hated jews.

I agree that Wright probably has many positive qualities and that his anti-Caucasian and anti-Semitic tongue shouldn't define him as a human being. But if he makes statements like those IN PUBLIC (I wonder what he's like off the record ) AND hangs out with people like Farrakhan, one has to question his moral authority and, moreover, his santiy. I don't believe that Obama is anything like Jeremiah Wright, and it's kind of sad that he chose to cozy up to him in order to garner the necessary "street cred" to advance his career.

You have no idea why Obama chose Trinity. Might have been because Oprah used to attend...who the hell knows. One thing you don't know is what the history of these sermons have been. You, apparently are willing to rely on 6 minutes on you tube of this reverends life.

Let me ask you this. If George W Bush's spiritual influence that brought him to Christ uttered indefensible anti-semitic remarks....would you be equally as appalled?

Yes they did...do you know why...or are you just listening to the HATE filled speech of Rush and Sean Hannity? I will look forward to your answer.

Yes, I know that it had to to with hostage negotiations. But that doesn't change the fact that he's associating with a terrorist/anti-Semite and a racist/anti-Semite. You DO realize that Libya was considered at terrorist state back then, right? And even if you believe that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with that, it's certainly poor judgment on Obama's part to link himself to people like Wright.

You have no idea if he did sermons like this for 20 years.

But I do know that he and Farrakhan went to Libya in 1984 to court a terrorist-supporting dictator and fellow anti-Semite. I'll bet that Obama knew this as well.

you might want to know in case you seem like the one spewing hate.

:wacko:

Again, Farrakhan uttered rediculous statements at the Million Man March....and those statement have been repudiated by most black leaders...but you do not just throw the baby out with the bath water do you? Again....go read why Wright said that Farrakhan was a great black leader....it wasn't because he hated jews.

:D:D

You have no idea why Obama chose Trinity. Might have been because Oprah used to attend...who the hell knows. One thing you don't know is what the history of these sermons have been. You, apparently are willing to rely on 6 minutes on you tube of this reverends life.

I believe that I was clear in stating that Wright most likely has some positive qualities.

Let me ask you this. If George W Bush's spiritual influence that brought him to Christ uttered indefensible anti-semitic remarks....would you be equally as appalled?

What in the hell makes you think that I support George W. Bush? Your ill-informed pre-conceived notion about my voting record?

If I weren't appalled, I'd certainly call his judgement into question and think twice about voting for the guy.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Yes, I know that it had to to with hostage negotiations. But that doesn't change the fact that he's associating with a terrorist/anti-Semite and a racist/anti-Semite. You DO realize that Libya was considered at terrorist state back then, right? And even if you believe that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with that, it's certainly poor judgment on Obama's part to link himself to people like Wright and Farrakhan.

yes, Wright, Farrakhan, and Jackson negotiated the release of a fighter pilot I believe.......but do you have evidence that Wright went back with Farrakhan? NO...of course you don't. As a matter of fact, you cannot supply an iota of evidence that Wright supports the views of NOI. But assuming facts not in evidence is part of your specialty here at the huddle.

But I do know that he and Farrakhan went to Libya in 1984 to court a terrorist-supporting dictator and fellow anti-Semite. I'll bet that Obama knew this as well.

Whew...good thing Obama is not a member of the NOI then. Just to think...Obama has all this hate rhetoric in his past....wow...mountain of evidence here. What in God's name is your point here. Wright and Farrakhan have never been reported to be buddies and hand out. They went to Libya to help get a soldier freed. Jackson and Wright used Farrakhan's relationship to get it done.....ends justified a greater good IMHO. I guess you suggest this is a close relationship?

I believe that I was clear in stating that Wright most likely has some positive qualities

I believe we should read this to mean that you stated you believe he has positve qualities....ones you are not willing to research of find out what they are before you draw an opinion and assign guilt by association for something you cannot even prove. Hell, even the Anti-defamation league cannot classify Wright as an anti-semmite!!!! And that is saying a lot.

What in the hell makes you think that I support George W. Bush? Your ill-informed pre-conceived notion about my voting record?

If I weren't appalled, I'd certainly call his judgement into question and think twice about voting for the guy.

I didn't say you did....I asked a question...why are you so defensive....I voted for him in 2000...but not in 2004. Personally I do not care who or what brought him to Christ. But...for the record...it was the Reverend Billy Graham. You do know he is a documented anti-semmite don't you....oh where is the outrage!!!! Damn MSM.

They went to Libya to help get a soldier freed. Jackson and Wright used Farrakhan's relationship to get it done.....ends justified a greater good IMHO.

So, undermining our government and empowering a terrorist-supporting dictator is a positive thing?

I won't argue that getting a hostage released is not a positive thing. My point, which you're avoiding here, is that Obama exercised incredibly poor judgment in closely associating himself with somebody like Wright. After his trip to Libya, Wright himself noted that Obama would lose the Jewish vote if they knew about their relationship.

I believe we should read this to mean that you stated you believe he has positve qualities....ones you are not willing to research of find out what they are

I'm giving Wright the benefit of the doubt, as he is supposedly a Christian.

before you draw an opinion and assign guilt by association

So, Wright throws barbs at Whites and Jews in some of his sermons (that we know of), and you're arguing "guilt by association"? :D

And, to be clear, I never said that Obama was "guilty" of being a racist or anti-Semite. He's only guilty of incredibly poor judgement.

Hell, even the Anti-defamation league cannot classify Wright as an anti-semmite!!!! And that is saying a lot.

There's quite a bit that the general public didn't know about Wright up until about a week ago. And since you quoted that from the Wikipedia, you probably noticed the remark in the previous sentence where Wright compared Zionism to White racism. :wacko:

But...for the record...it was the Reverend Billy Graham. You do know he is a documented anti-semmite don't you....oh where is the outrage!!!!

Again, I never voted for Bush, so I don't see what your point is.

There is no "outrage" on my part towards Obama, either, despite your best efforts to suggest otherwise. I'm simply pointing out that he screwed up. Hell, even the left-leaning Juan Williams, whose articles have praised Obama's campaign, is all over Obama for not taking responsibiity for this.

Edited by Bill Swerski

So, undermining our government and empowering a terrorist-supporting dictator is a positive thing?

I won't argue that getting a hostage released is not a positive thing. My point, which you're avoiding here, is that Obama exercised incredibly poor judgment in closely associating himself with somebody like Wright. After his trip to Libya, Wright himself noted that Obama would lose the Jewish vote if they knew about their relationship.

LOL, in 2007...23 years after his trip to Libya, Wright quite rightly pointed out that Obama would most probably lose the Jewish vote....out of prejudice mind you. You have severe problems with timelines. You constantly say somebody like Wright.....honestly tell me what you have read on your own that isn't on TV, talk radio, or you tube that helps you formulate an opinion. Freakin Neil Postman has you pegged.

So, Wright throws barbs at Whites and Jews in some of his sermons (that we know of), and you're arguing "guilt by association"?

And, to be clear, I never said that Obama was "guilty" of being a racist or anti-Semite. He's only guilty of incredibly poor judgement

How is it poor judgement if you do not know what the other 99.95% of what this guy says is? I just do not get it. You are making a judgement on someone else's judgment using 6 minutes of someones life you saw on video and some comments off TV and radio...how would you feel if this were done to you....mighty judgmental IMHO....it is Christ-like however....that is to hastily judge.

There's quite a bit that the general public didn't know about Wright up until about a week ago. And since you quoted that from the Wikipedia, you probably noticed the remark in the previous sentence where Wright compared Zionism to White racism.

so, what is your disagreement with that....I am not condoning it....but why is his comparison so idiotic? Far Fetched sure....but the Palestinians are not solely to blame in the situation between themselves and Israel....I do agree they need to quit lobbing rockets and blowing people up....but Israel isn't the innocent child here.

Again, I never voted for Bush, so I don't see what your point is.

There is no "outrage" on my part towards Obama, either, despite your best efforts to suggest otherwise. I'm simply pointing out that he screwed up. Hell, even the left-leaning Juan Williams, whose articles have praised Obama's campaign, is all over Obama for not taking responsibiity for this.

This isn't about you Bill....never was. This is about a double standard that exists. Somehow it is ok for other nominees and Presidents to get endorsements by Falwell, Robertson, Dobson, Hagee....and others....and even have close relationships with them.....but all of a sudden the MSM...you know that dang liberal one....is all up in arms over 6 verifiable minutes or so on you tube. Who even knows what the context is...fact finding be damned....lets just find everyone guilty of idiocy and ruin reputations with innuendo. I hate this Clintonian type of politics....Rove just perfected it is all.

How is it poor judgement if you do not know what the other 99.95% of what this guy says is? I just do not get it. You are making a judgement on someone else's judgment using 6 minutes of someones life you saw on video and some comments off TV and radio.

I'm sure that child molesters are super-awesome human beings 99.95% of the time as well. It's that other 0.05% that gets them into trouble.

Wright quite rightly pointed out that Obama would most probably lose the Jewish vote....out of prejudice mind you

Yeah, (overwhelmingly Caucasian) Jews are all "prejudiced" against the racist preachers who travel to a terrorist-supporting Arabic nation with the famed anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan. Do you realize how stupid you sound? :D

honestly tell me what you have read on your own that isn't on TV, talk radio, or you tube that helps you formulate an opinion.

I don't know 99.95% of you life either, but can safely say that you're a biased tool based on your comments in this thread. :D

Somehow it is ok for other nominees and Presidents to get endorsements by Falwell, Robertson, Dobson, Hagee....and others....and even have close relationships with them.....

So, did George W. Bush attend Pat Robertson's church for 20 years, have Robertson preside over his wedding and children's baptisms, consider him his "spirtual mentor", and write a book in which he quotes several of his sermons? Again, your blatantly dishonest comparison is weak. I've already given Obama a pass for associating with William Ayers, a relationship that's much more comparable to the ones you outline above.

Look, Wright has made bigoted comments on several occasions on the record (not behind closed doors) at work. Such actions would get the average Joe fired and disgraced. You argue that we should conveniently overlook that because he may or may not be a decent guy outside of that (but, of course, we all know that you're arguing it for political reasons). I'll argue that Wright should not only be condemned for his rhetoric, but should be held to a higher standard because he's a Christian minister. Not only is he obligated to act like a Christian (which he clearly doesn't at times), but he had significant influence over a congregation that I believe numbered in the thousands.

You keep bringing up bigoted Caucasian ministers to apparently justify people like Wright, but the truth is that they're all d0uchebags. You're just trying to deflect. The fact is that Wright's comments strongly suggest that he's a racist. And, whether Wright really is a bigot or not is completely irrelevant, because image trumps reality in politics. And that brings us to my point once again - Obama screwed up big-time by having a close relationship with a controversial guy like Wright. There's a big difference between simply knowing and getting financial support from d0uchebags such as William Ayers and having the type of relationship that Obama and Wright did.

And speaking of condemning bigots, Obama publicly called for Imus' resignation last year for making a comment that was significantly more tame than what his "spiritual advisor" has been saying in public over the years. But he chose to stand by the good Reverend yesterday. I wonder why that is. :wacko: How do you reconcile THAT with Obama's "unity" and "race doesn't matter" campaign themes?

Edited by Bill Swerski

I'm sure that child molesters are super-awesome human beings 99.95% of the time as well. It's that other 0.05% that gets them into trouble.

wow, now there is a comparison. That is almost equal...isn't it?

Yeah, (overwhelmingly Caucasian) Jews are all "prejudiced" against the racist preachers who travel to a terrorist-supporting Arabic nation with the famed anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan. Do you realize how stupid you sound? whacko2.gif

Lets not mention the fact he helped secure the release of an american pilot...don't mention it...makes your hate more palatable.

I don't know 99.95% of you life either, but can safely say that you're a biased tool based on your comments in this thread. w00t.gif

I am not voting for Obama...I am a registered republican and cannot vote for Obama on a matter of principle. I however can do this on policy...not by asserting he is this or that based upon things he hasn't said. It is the likes of you and your types that destroy the political process and it is this very process that gets us the candidates that we deserve...people hungry for power versus those brought to serve a greater good. Keep up the good fight Bill. Keep projecting the hate.

Bill, in retort to your last few paragraphs....I ask you this. You keep bringing up what OTHER PEOPLE have said. IMUS made the disparaging remarks....not Obama. If you can point to remarks that Obama made that are disaparaging....calling women nappy headed ho's....making anti-semitic remarks....I will perform the largest mea-culpa known to man. But you cannot. Instead you project the comments of his FORMER Pastor...someone he cannot ask to step down....because he is retired. I find very little relevance in these comparisons. This type of rhetoric does nothing to improve the political process...it only makes it more divisive and creates a situation where no one wants to run because on their computer they may be looked at some boobs. We need to get real here.