[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

States ask for conditons if XM and Sirius merge

Randall

Eleven states ask FCC to put conditions on Sirius-XM transaction

12:32p ET March 28, 2008 (MarketWatch)

CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Attorney generals from 11 states are asking Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin to impose conditions on Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.'s proposed acquisition of XM Satellite Radio.

The FCC should consider asking the companies to give up some of their satellite spectrum so that a satellite radio competitor could emerge, attorneys from Connecticut, Iowa, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Utah and Washington said in a letter to Martin late Thursday.

The U.S. Department of Justice wrapped up its investigation of the transaction earlier this week, saying the deal is not likely to reduce competition. The department said the two companies do not compete with each other, partly because Sirius and XM systems are incompatible, making the cost to switch from one to the other "undesirable."

Further, satellite radio has natural competition in AM/FM radio, MP3 players, Internet radio, and, increasingly in the years to come, mobile Internet entertainment, the Justice Department said.

The state attorneys said they were "disappointed" that the Justice Department would allow the deal to "proceed unchallenged or without the imposition of appropriate terms and conditions that would reduce the proposed transaction's anticompetitive impact."

"If this deal is allowed to proceed, Ohioans and radio listeners across the country will be forced to listen to limited programming offered by a monolithic entity at prices set in a monopolistic environment," said Ohio Attorney General Marc Dann.

Although the companies have already vowed to make Sirius and XM systems interoperable once the merger is completed, and to make a la carte pricing options available, the attorneys asked that the FCC make both items mandatory stipulations.

Analysts said this week that they expect the transaction to be approved by the FCC, with conditions.

This is so silly. And yet, there are how many communication companies and oil companies merging every year and no one says squat. This is dumb!

Well not merging was part of the original deal with the companies.

Now they are saying new radios would be needed to get signals from both.

Why can't they route each companies signals through the various satellites?

Well not merging was part of the original deal with the companies.

Now they are saying new radios would be needed to get signals from both.

Why can't they route each companies signals through the various satellites?

No joke I don't want to buy another radio just to have XM as well. Plus I wonder how will it work for us Lifetime Subcribers on Sirius.

Interesting, I thought I heard just the opposite, that the signals will be compatible to both XM and Sirius receivers. Hmmmmmm......

I read a report recently that the chips aren't compatible. Perhaps they found a work around.

No one who has sirius has any desire to get XM anything... the tardo XM adopters just want to whine and get sirius for free.

H8tank translation

Everything Sirius :wacko:

Everything XM :D

I've had both at the same time. Like most things in life both have some good and some bad.

This is an NFL bbs... Sirius has NFL, XM does not, which means XM sucks ass.

I have both too, XM on directv, it sucks.

I never understood this argument. The way I see it, most of us have Sunday Ticket and watch the games every Sunday. So, who cares about the radio broadcasts unless your wife has your nuts in her purse and you aren't allowed to watch the games? Other than the games, just how much NFL news can one listen to in one day? One episode of Total Access on the NFL network is all you need.

On the other hand, for MLB enthusiasts, there are games on everyday of the week and all day long. Not enough time to watch every game even if you subscribe to MLB extra innings on DirecTV. So you can listen to the broadcasts of your favorite team on XM every day.

Baseball has a richer radio history. For some, it can be more appealing listening to the game than watching it due to the great radio personalities. On the other hand, the NFL is definitely more of a TV sport. So, unless you're just a Stern follower, XM is obviously the more logical choice for sports fans.

You need to check out rawdog channel 104, it will make you cry at times.

Oh I listen to all 3 or 4 of them. They are all funny. I just like comedy. XM isn't too bad on that end. But thats all they have to me. The rest is bull. Sometime I feel they are holding back on what they want to say. Sirius is a no holds bar. Anything and everything goes.

I never understood this argument. The way I see it, most of us have Sunday Ticket and watch the games every Sunday. So, who cares about the radio broadcasts unless your wife has your nuts in her purse and you aren't allowed to watch the games? Other than the games, just how much NFL news can one listen to in one day? One episode of Total Access on the NFL network is all you need.

On the other hand, for MLB enthusiasts, there are games on everyday of the week and all day long. Not enough time to watch every game even if you subscribe to MLB extra innings on DirecTV. So you can listen to the broadcasts of your favorite team on XM every day.

Baseball has a richer radio history. For some, it can be more appealing listening to the game than watching it due to the great radio personalities. On the other hand, the NFL is definitely more of a TV sport. So, unless you're just a Stern follower, XM is obviously the more logical choice for sports fans.

It will only take you one 30 minutes of Sirius NFL Network to have you change your tune. Its more than watching the game. Its more about learning the game in more detail along with hearing all the updates and interviews. To me its priceless.

Also the other stations are great and has something for everyone. Especially if you are in the car or can listen on the computer. Sirius is one of the best buys I ever made.

H8 claims another with his bait...

What a shock. :wacko:

On a fantasy football site Sirius with the NFL is more popular.

Let me ADD

Why does the NFL do exclusive rights deals with companies? To get the Sunday Ticket I have to get DTV and to get the NFL channel until now I had to get Sirius.

Freedom of choice is a good thing.

Edited by Randall

No one who has sirius has any desire to get XM anything... the tardo XM adopters just want to whine and get sirius for free.

Wife has XM, I have Sirius..

XM has way better music.

Sirius has NFL, Stern and more.

""If this deal is allowed to proceed, Ohioans and radio listeners across the country will be forced to listen to limited programming offered by a monolithic entity at prices set in a monopolistic environment," said Ohio Attorney General Marc Dann."

This argument drives me insane. Nobody is forcing anybody to listen to Satelite Radio. There are hundreds of FREE channels on the Radio, people CHOOSE to PAY for Satelite. It just angers me as being insanely ignorant.

What a shock. :wacko:

On a fantasy football site Sirius with the NFL is more popular.

Let me ADD

Why does the NFL do exclusive rights deals with companies? To get the Sunday Ticket I have to get DTV and to get the NFL channel until now I had to get Sirius.

Freedom of choice is a good thing.

Freedom of Choice also applies to a business owner making more money with an exclusive deal with another if they choose to do so.

Freedom of Choice also applies to a business owner making more money with an exclusive deal with another if they choose to do so.

Well of course they can but do they really make more money? I would think having several outlets may make more money than an exclusive deal.

In NFL Network they have taken the opposite tack so I'm not so sure they are happy with either earlier decision. After initially being on DTV exclusively I was surprised when they extended it.

Well of course they can but do they really make more money? I would think having several outlets may make more money than an exclusive deal.

In NFL Network they have taken the opposite tack so I'm not so sure they are happy with either earlier decision. After initially being on DTV exclusively I was surprised when they extended it.

Dunno, depends on the amount of dough Sirius/DirecTV passed them. Partners can pay 10x the amount, or more, for an exclusive for 5 years or so, than they would if it was just another channel on both services. A metal channel is a metal channel, but some people (me) go to a service they would not have ordinarily because of now exclusive content. That is huge to these guys, and pay the NFL and Howard Stern money hand over fist (Stern alone brought Sirius from 500,000 subscribers to 7+ mil and a merger).

The NFL Network is not to be confused with Sunday Tiocket. NFL Network is a joke and it's horrible, they keep trying to pass it off to Cablevision and they would much rather have the meat n potatoes of weekly games. I doubt they regret their earlier decision with DirecTV, as they extended that contract again just recently I believe.