[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hernia question

Jimmy Neutron

I have a hernia near the solar plexus. It doesn't stick out all the time, just when I'm getting out of a small car or lifting something heavy. When it happens, I have to massage a protrusion between the size of a golf ball and tennis ball back into my chest. It freakin' hurts and is happening more often.

Anybody have ever something similar and get it fixed? How long were you laid up, etc.???

TIA.

I have a hernia near the solar plexus. It doesn't stick out all the time, just when I'm getting out of a small car or lifting something heavy. When it happens, I have to massage a protrusion between the size of a golf ball and tennis ball back into my chest. It freakin' hurts and is happening more often.

Anybody have ever something similar and get it fixed? How long were you laid up, etc.???

TIA.

Dayum....that's pretty high. Hernias are not as big a deal as they were 20 years ago, but Dr. Robin will defer to Doc Chargerz.

BTW....duct tape doesn't work real well on that.

I won't speak for whomper, but I believe he and I had similar (umbilical) hernias. I think ours were a bit different as our surgeries were quite different. Either way, JN, this is something you should have fixed. The size of hernia you're talking about is extremely significant. Mine was no bigger than a grape, actually inside my navel. I think whomp's was just to the side of the navel.

In my case, they sliced me open and put some kind of mesh material over the hernia so it does not protrude anymore. I think your situation would require laproscopic surgery and a larger piece of mesh.

Mine was pretty significant and I was only laid up and out of work for a couple of days. Outpatient surgery; was in by 7am and was out just after lunchtime.

Again, I'd have it looked at ASAP. And I think the laproscopic technique may put you out a day or two more and could perhaps be a bit more of an involved surgery, but that's just a somewhat-educated guess.

Good luck.

I won't speak for whomper, but I believe he and I had similar (umbilical) hernias. I think ours were a bit different as our surgeries were quite different. Either way, JN, this is something you should have fixed. The size of hernia you're talking about is extremely significant. Mine was no bigger than a grape, actually inside my navel. I think whomp's was just to the side of the navel.

In my case, they sliced me open and put some kind of mesh material over the hernia so it does not protrude anymore. I think your situation would require laproscopic surgery and a larger piece of mesh.

Mine was pretty significant and I was only laid up and out of work for a couple of days. Outpatient surgery; was in by 7am and was out just after lunchtime.

Again, I'd have it looked at ASAP. And I think the laproscopic technique may put you out a day or two more and could perhaps be a bit more of an involved surgery, but that's just a somewhat-educated guess.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info.

I had an umbilical Hernia fixed a few years ago. It was right below my Navel. They repaired mine with my own stomach lining. I didnt need the mesh. Jiimmy you will eventually need to get it fixed IMO. The fear is always strangulation.If the intestines gets stuck in the lining you could have big problems. My surgery was 45 minutes and I was out of work for 5 days.Good luck bro

I had an umbilical Hernia fixed a few years ago. It was right below my Navel. They repaired mine with my own stomach lining. I didnt need the mesh. Jiimmy you will eventually need to get it fixed IMO. The fear is always strangulation.If the intestines gets stuck in the lining you could have big problems. My surgery was 45 minutes and I was out of work for 5 days.Good luck bro

Thanks, Whomp. I am going to get it repaired, just wanted to know what I'm looking at.

I thought I had a hernia in my right abdomen but the doctor said that I just had a weak abdominal wall...

but at times I've sen that thing puff out and rub up against the rib cage....but this doctor would act as if it wasn't a big deal at all...which I found strange...

it seems to not be much of a problem anymore, but when it happened a year ago I was really concerned up until around November...and it didn't bother me much afterwards...

I have been tempted to contact another doctor for a second opinion as this doctor seemed to half ass things to get me out in 10-15 minutes....

plus he said that I have "gird" or "gerd" and gave me some pills for acid reflux which did nothing for me....and I don't have heartburn, but when it comes time to go to bed I seem to have to constantly spit...

both of these problems occurred around the same time exactly a year ago when I was sick for a month vomiting and this caused the hernia or the "weak abdominal wall" and also caused my esophagus to loosen and have acid or whatever float up......I mean a year ago I really would have to spit all day long to the point where I wanted to :wacko:...

does anyone have any insight on either of these 2 problems?....I'm headed to the doc soon again anyways....even though both of these problems are nowhere near the same level of concern they were at a year ago....

both of these problems occurred around the same time exactly a year ago when I was sick for a month vomiting and this caused the hernia or the "weak abdominal wall"

Based on what I've read, hernias like the one I've got (near solar plexus) are often formed by a persistent cough, which I have. That and the 30 lb. gut I have going probably weakened the abdominal wall. :wacko:

Not looking forward to laughing after surgery. :D

Based on what I've read, hernias like the one I've got (near solar plexus) are often formed by a persistent cough, which I have. That and the 30 lb. gut I have going probably weakened the abdominal wall. :D

Not looking forward to laughing after surgery. :D

at times mine looked like a golf ball puffed out...but I can just push it back in and it hasn't bothered me much, which is strange...

my brother had one above the bellybutton, but said it hasn't bothered him for a decade or so...

neither of us has had surgery....and I really thought I felt something slide through an open hole, but the doctor assured me that it's fine and if I am unable to push it back in, I should go to the emergency room :wacko:

TIA.

By your description it sounds like a ventral hernia. Alot of times they can be repaired with a mesh inserted through a small incision. Recuperation is measured in days to a week or two depending on your pain tolerance and how good a healer you are.

both of these problems occurred around the same time exactly a year ago when I was sick for a month vomiting and this caused the hernia or the "weak abdominal wall" and also caused my esophagus to loosen and have acid or whatever float up......I mean a year ago I really would have to spit all day long to the point where I wanted to :wacko:...

does anyone have any insight on either of these 2 problems?....I'm headed to the doc soon again anyways....even though both of these problems are nowhere near the same level of concern they were at a year ago....

You may have two hernias: one of the abdominal wall and another one called a hiatal hernia. Both can be repaired surgically with a high degree of success by a general surgeon. The hiatal hernia sometimes will respond to antacids of one sort or another. Finding the right antacid is the trick.

By your description it sounds like a ventral hernia. Alot of times they can be repaired with a mesh inserted through a small incision. Recuperation is measured in days to a week or two depending on your pain tolerance and how good a healer you are.

Thanks, Doc. :wacko:

You may have two hernias: one of the abdominal wall and another one called a hiatal hernia. Both can be repaired surgically with a high degree of success by a general surgeon. The hiatal hernia sometimes will respond to antacids of one sort or another. Finding the right antacid is the trick.

thanks, that's crazy if I have 2 of them...

I'm definitely going to have to get these checked out...

plus he said that I have "gird" or "gerd" and gave me some pills for acid reflux which did nothing for me....and I don't have heartburn, but when it comes time to go to bed I seem to have to constantly spit...

I'm wondering if perhaps your esophagus isn't constricted in some way. (If it is, it is no big deal for them to stretch it out for you--it's an outpatient procedure that lasts about 30 minutes (although they put you under for it)) Just a quick thought that you might want to ask your doctor (or new doctor) about.