[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

going to disney

dmarc117

For a very nice dinner for you and the wife, check out Victoria & Alberts at the Grand Floridian.

Le Cellier Steakhouse in the Canada pavillion at Epcot was surprisingly good for those who like your meat and potatoes.

Rock n Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror at MGM are two of the best rides in all of WDW (although it's been about 6 years since I've been so there are few new ones).

Loads more, but those are the couple of things that come to mind at the moment.

Edited by TDFFFreak

For a very nice dinner for you and the wife, check out Victoria & Alberts at the Grand Floridian.

Le Cellier Steakhouse in the Canada pavillion at Epcot was surprisingly good for those who like your meat and potatoes.

Rock n Rollercoaster and Tower of Terrot at MGM are two of the best rides in all of WDW (although it's been about 6 years since I've been so there are few new ones).

Loads more, but those are the couple of things that come to mind at the moment.

thanks....i think my wife has a bunch of the character meals set up. the animal kingdom looks like a blast.

PM me your email addy and I'll shoot over a great e-book I bought last year. Written by a Disney cast member and has a ton of tips.

thanks wolf!!! but i think i just blew out the office printer. didnt see how many pages it was!! :wacko:

went there in 1984 and 2006. Big changes occured. Most of the Disney characters are inside and you need to make special arrangements to see them. If you have small kids its a must.

Noticed the ticket prices:This is just an example.

1 day: $60

2 day: $135

3 day: $190

4 day: $195

5 day: $200

PAY THE EXTRA FOR THE FAST PASS. IT IS WELL WORTH IT.

Do not go in the middle of summer unless you are use to the heat.

No need to pay in advance for the non-expire ticket option; my brothers did and used all their days while we were down there. I have a couple of days left. We found out after that if you have remaining days, you have 10 days from last use to add this option. Don't quote me on this; make sure you find out before you order your tickets.

Edited by The Wolf

Make sure you have most of your dining reservations planned now. Call Disney Dining through the main Disney number. Plan out which days you want to be at each park and where you want to eat, then make the calls. There's nothing worse than being at a park and not being able to get into a restaurant. You can also use your hotel's concierge desk to help or make suggestions. They will go out of their way to help you.

I haven't stayed at the Polynesian since I was a kid, but it's very nice. Check into eating at the luau there. We went there over our honeymoon and had a great time. You'll have very easy access to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot via the monorail.

If you have any more questions, shoot me a PM. I've been down there twice within the past year... and the lack of a bank account to prove it. :wacko:

last week in april for the little man's bday. hopefully not too busy then. staying at polynesian.

How old is the boy? As his age can alter your activities/expectations a lot. RR juniorette was 5 yo the first time, and believe it or not she preferred EPCOT over the MK. Went again when she was 7-8 and she still preferred EPCOT. I guess that's why she is a world traveler now. She's been to 6 countries since August, and is doing Asia this summer.

The Poly is great! We've stayed there 3-4 times, but the last time was 1991. Had a decent restaurant, monorail, and a short walk to a main transportation center....all things being the same. We've eaten in every restaurant in EPCOT except Mexico and Morocco. All were excellent! Especially liked Japan's Tepanyaki, great show and great food. Germany is my second choice. Great ompaa show and food. My third fave was Skandanavia. Great smorgasborg (and I hate buffets) the venison was outstanding. They used to have a water show every nite on the lake behind the Poly, Cute. Try out the little motorboats. I'm sure your boy would love it. We went to a character breakfast. Lots of fun and great photo ops. Did the Prime Rib dinner in Cinderella's castle. That was a little disappointing, mediocre/overpriced prime rib, but a nice view of the magic kingdom. Also, by staying in the world, you are allowed to enter the park 1 hour early. Take advantage of that.

The first time we went we stayed outside and rented a car. Big mistake. The next time we rented a car and stayed in the Poly. The car never got used, 'cept for one nite we cruised Orlando. Meh. The rest of the times we took a cab/limo. Never regretted not having a car. The Universal Studio tour was not that great, but maybe it's gotten better over the years. They only had one water park, back then, but it was worth a full day.

Tips:

Upon entering a park, cruise quickly to the back and work your way to the front. Fewer lines

You get priority restaurant reservations by staying in the World. They'll break their back to get you in, at least they did for us.

Plan your day to day stuff in advance. But change as necessary.

We found that there is no need to leave The World. And there is much more to do now. Consider the limo/cab.

Many must sees, but 'A Small World' is paramount! :wacko: We all need that song echoing in our brains for a month after!

Check daily for openings and closings. They can change day to day.

If you want front row places for the EPCOT nite show, or Magic Kingdom Parade, be prepared to waste at least an hour.

When it gets crowded....go back to the Poly and swim for awhile. The park empties somewhat around 4-5pm.

Take a decent camera w/ lots of memory cards. You can delete later.

Study before you go.

All the above info is old, but I'm thinking it's still fairly accurate.

ENJOY! We took a lot of family trips when RR juniorette was growing up, but I think the Disney trips held the best memories. Even the day we spent in our room because she was 'rolfing' all day! :D

My family has been to Disney three summers running and I've done tons of research on how to beat the crowds and maximize your time down there - perhaps more important for me since we always go during peak summer months.

A couple tips:

1. ALWAYS ALWYS ALWAYS get to the park 15-30 minutes before rope drop. You will get more accomplished during the first 2-3 hours than in the rest of the day combined. I agree with RR's tip about clearning out of the park midday, then returning at night. The parks will start to get crowded around lunchtime, we always stay at a park until maybe 1PM or 2PM, then take a break - usually for a swim back at the hotel, or a nap depending on how old the kids are. If everyone is feeling kind of run down, take the night off. A shower during your midday break will do wonders for you. When we go back out at night, it's usually to get a meal and see a show or two (illusions at EPCOT, Fantasmic at MGM, and the SPectromagic Parade at Magic Kingdom are all very good), any rides are a bonus. The exceptions to this can be MGM or Animal Kingdom - MGM because you can do most of what needs to be done by 3PM or so (but you definitely want to see Fantasmic somewhere along the way), and Animal Kingdom because it closes around 5PM or 6PM, depending on the season. But if I do a long day at a park (i.e., into late afternoon), it is always followed by a night off. You gotta' pace yourself, don't be one of those people who comes back from a DisneyWorld vacation and the first words out of their mouth are, "Man, I need a vacation." Not sure how long you're going, but you're not going to be able to see and do everyhting, so don't make that your objective.

2..Avoid Extra Magic Hours - these are instances where they keep a designated park open an hour earlier or an hour later, available only to guests staying on campus. They serve to distort the distribution of people across the various parks so the EMH park ends up being more crowded than it would be on other days - not worth it IMO.

3. You have to understand the Fast Pass system to maximize your enjoyment and avoid lines as much as possible. Contrary to what someone said above, you do not need to pay extra for Fast Passes (I think they were confused with Universal). I can explain the FP system to you if you're not familiar with it, see below re PMing me.

There are strategies for getting certain very popular rides done early and maximizing Fast Pass opportunities - I try not to go too commando on my family but we have researhced and used these strategies and they aboslutely work, and we have always been grateful for them. I actually subscribe to a service called tourguidemike.com - this guy is a VIP Disney tour guide, he plans Disney vacations and accompanies his very wealthy clients on every day of their trips for $100 an hour, but he has a web site where for $30 he shares most if not all of his secrets. The site is poorly organized and not that easy to navigate, and your trip is pretty soon - I think it'd be worth the $30 personally, but not critical since you are going at a non-peak time. Too much info for me to share in a post here, it'd be pages long, but if you wanna' PM me I'll send you my phone number and in fifteen minutes or so I can give you some good info.

One more - try to get a dinner reservation at Oahu, which is in your hotel, I thought that place was great.

fellas....thanks for all the tips!!! the little man will be 3 so not sure if he can go on all the rides. thats ok though. i hear ya about not over doing it. my wife has alot of character meals reserved already. i think the only one we couldnt get was a bbq with mickey. i guess the poly does nannies too if u want a night alone. has anyone done this?

looks like i need to do some reading up. again, thanks for all the responses!!

lets just hope southworst doesnt ground their whole fleet....... :wacko:

I don't know if the Pirates of the Caribbean has a bistro the way the one in Anaheim does, but if they do, they have a Monte Cristo sandwich that will knock your socks off. It is probably the ONLY amusement park dish I have ever looked forward to.

fellas....thanks for all the tips!!! the little man will be 3 so not sure if he can go on all the rides. thats ok though. i hear ya about not over doing it. my wife has alot of character meals reserved already. i think the only one we couldnt get was a bbq with mickey. i guess the poly does nannies too if u want a night alone. has anyone done this?

looks like i need to do some reading up. again, thanks for all the responses!!

lets just hope southworst doesnt ground their whole fleet....... :wacko:

When we went last August, our son was 2. We went a few days after his 3rd birthday in December/January. Make sure you go to the Playhouse Disney Live on Stage! Your son will love it. That's at Disney Hollywood Studios. You can also

That was a highlight of our trip. Our son went nuts for that. I would recommend breakfast for the JoJo meal. It's a buffet with a section that little ones can reach. Great stuff.

egret....wife has the luau and playhouse already set. thanks!

That Luau cost me an extra $450!!! :wacko:

We were offered $150 each to give up our seats. The next flight was 2 hours later, but it would have made us possibly late for the Luau. I mentioned the deal to the wife, my daughter heard and started balling her eyes out! :D Needless to say we went as scheduled. :brew:

BTW.......the Luau was great! :D

another question.......

stroller, bring our own or rent?

Here's some info on stroller rentals if you have not yet found it - right here

At $10 per day for a single, I guess I'd try to bring my own if it's not too inconvenient. I remember one trip we stopped off at a Publix on the drive from the airport to WDW to get water, snacks, etc. for the week (an excellent idea if you have your own car down there), and we had forgotten to pack a stroller so we bought a cheap one there rather than getting the rentals - saves time each morning when you're entering the park, and if you stay long enough it's also cheaper.

If you do rent from Disney - every rental stroller in each park looks exactly the same, and when you come off of a ride and it can be tough to find your stroller. Definitely hepful to tie a bandana or something to your stroller so you can identify it pretty easily in the sea of strollers...esp. because cast members will occasionally move strollers around to clear walkways, etc.