[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Montreal Canadians are a farce.

Foosball God

Everyone talks about great tradition and all the cups they won. Nobody likes to talk about how they cheated.

Until 1969 The Montreal Canadiens were given two priority picks which could be exercised before any other teams had selected players. These picks were known as Cultural Picks, were in lieu of their regular pick, and could be used to select any French-Canadian players.

Before the amateur draft was set up players were claimed by NHL teams based on the junior teams they played for. If an NHL team sponsored a junior team and a player was on that team, their rights belonged to the NHL team and the player could not play for any NHL team except the sponsor.

Guest Azazello13
Originally posted by Foosball God:

Until 1969 The Montreal Canadiens were given two priority picks which could be exercised before any other teams had selected players.

rolleyes.gif

you're probably just dumb enough to be serious with this.

Here's one I can't find any written confirmation on, but I am sure I heard it on TV:

Canadian teams only have to pay 70% of a free agents salary if they decide to sign him. So, in other words, if Iginla is a free agent (which he is), and he requires 10 million in salary, it will only cost a Canadian team 7 million and the NHL picks up the rest, while it would cost a US team 10 million. Anyone have any further info on this. If it's true it sure is a crock of Athena.

Guest Azazello13
Originally posted by HUGH ONE:

Here's one I can't find any written confirmation on, but I am sure I heard it on TV:

Canadian teams only have to pay 70% of a free agents salary if they decide to sign him. So, in other words, if Iginla is a free agent (which he is), and he requires 10 million in salary, it will only cost a Canadian team 7 million and the NHL picks up the rest, while it would cost a US team 10 million. Anyone have any further info on this. If it's true it sure is a crock of Athena.

i seriously doubt that. if it IS true, i'm sure the justification is the value of the canadian dollar against the greenback. all player salaries are in US dollars (because they and their agents aren't idiots), and of course most of the canadian teams' revenue is in canadian dollars, which as we all know are next to worthless. puts those teams in quite a pinch, which is why you have seen teams moving out of quebec, winnepeg, etc., and why you've seen serious talk of the canadian government subsidizing the teams in places like calgary and edmonton to keep them alive. but again, i don't believe the NHL does anything of the sort you've described.

Originally posted by Azazello13:

i seriously doubt that. if it IS true, i'm sure the justification is the value of the canadian dollar against the greenback. all player salaries are in US dollars (because they and their agents aren't idiots), and of course most of the canadian teams' revenue is in canadian dollars, which as we all know are next to worthless. puts those teams in quite a pinch, which is why you have seen teams moving out of quebec, winnepeg, etc., and why you've seen serious talk of the canadian government subsidizing the teams in places like calgary and edmonton to keep them alive. but again, i don't believe the NHL does anything of the sort you've described.

Again you're wrong.

With reguards to restricted free agents, if an American team makes an offer to Jerome Iginla of 4 million per season, Calgary can match that offer but only has to pay him 4 million Canadian.

sac would probably give you a far better answer, but as I understand it, the Canadiens are referred to as "Les Habitantes" by their French-speaking fans; I would assume (with the ass out of u & me rule in full effect) that "Habitantes" has similar meaning to the english "inhabitants" - so it's just a way for those oh-so-friendly and humble Quebecois to claim their team.

Originally posted by spain:

uh, seriously, what is a Hab? I hear the Canadians referred to as Hab's but dont know the reference...

Les habitants is French for the inhabitants. I think that Habs is a reference to the team nickname "Canadiens" - those who inhabit Canada. I don't know how it became associated with the Canadiens.

While some may believe that the H in the Canadians logo stand for habitants, I believe that it stands for hockey (as in hockey club.)

Originally posted by Furd:

While some may believe that the H in the Canadians logo stand for habitants, I believe that it stands for hockey (as in hockey club.)

You are correct, sir. In reality, the famous CH logo stands for Club de Hockey Canadien.

It's kind of funny an American, a Texan no less, is responsible for the Habs label.

Tex Rickard was a famous American in the early part of the century- cowboy, owner of Madison Square Garden, the original owner of the NY Rangers, big fight promoter, bar owner, etc.

In 1924 Tex was falesly informed by someone that the "H" stood for "habitant", a french word that in those days was used to refer the farmers of Quebec.

Rickard was told that the french players on the team came from farms and were therefore, "habitants". The nickname stuck.

Rickard himself is a fascinating American of the roaring 20's.

Here's a link about him:

web page

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: chiefs ]