[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Costco wants you to die

polksalet

Limited to only 1 20 pound of rice because they want more people to be able to buy it.

Makes sense to me. If supplies are limited short term they want more customers to be able to buy it.

You can buy this though. :wacko:

Edited by Randall

Limited to only 1 20 pound of rice because they want more people to be able to buy it.

Makes sense to me. If supplies are limited short term they want more customers to be able to buy it.

You can buy this though. :wacko:

That's funny, I thought the same thing. We go through about 50 lbs of rice per week and I feed about 1000 people during that time. Plus, we offer it up for free, so a ton gets wasted (don't get me started on the knuckleheads who ask for rice regardless of what they're eating)

Sorry, too late...

"Here's your stir-fried noodles"

"Great, thanks. Can I have some rice?"

At any rate, unless, like me, you're filling up a large commercial rice cooker 5-10s per day, 20 lbs or rice is going to last you a while and I have to think that this hording is completely unwarranted. I've seen a small enough uptick that it's barely registered in my costs. Cooking oil, on the other hand, particularly peanut oil has been brutal. It's essentially doubled in price.

So, all Costco is doing is saving people from their own hysteria.

That's funny, I thought the same thing. We go through about 50 lbs of rice per week and I feed about 1000 people during that time. Plus, we offer it up for free, so a ton gets wasted (don't get me started on the knuckleheads who ask for rice regardless of what they're eating)

Sorry, too late...

Commercial's a different story. I doubt this is permanent and they are just trying to serve all their customers. Some people don't understand this and are only thinking of themselves.

Commercial's a different story. I doubt this is permanent and they are just trying to serve all their customers. Some people don't understand this and are only thinking of themselves.

Well, FWIW, I buy all my Asian supplies from a small Asian market down the street who sells to me at a very small mark-up because the larger food purveyors like Sysco and US Food either don't stock the things I need or have much higher prices.

None the less, he's always got stacks of bags of rice in there.

Honestly, how can we even be sure if there's even really a problem or not, let alone a permanent one? Maybe the only problem is that people are freaked out so they all want to buy 2 huge bags of rice instead of one. I mean, that will sure make things look worse than they really are, at least in the short term. Of course, now that everyone's got 6 months worth or rice stored at their house, I can't imagine costco having much trouble keeping inventories up.

The pressure that the reduced food grain availability due to the misguided demand for ethanol has produced is more of a crisis for "humanity" than we are aware of here in the safety of the United States.

I know that the world wide increased food cost has been very hard on my family in Mexico, and they are not lower income (comparatively to their per capita).

E85 is retarded technology. It takes more energy to produce one gallon of this "alternate fuel" than it produces. The original intent was to reduce emissions that had nothing to do with CO2 (remember "acid rain" etc.?) We have to move in a different direction and cut our losses with this failed course. Sometimes a step backwards is needed to move forward in a different and better direction.

The ethanol lobbies are already well established and growing in power in D.C. Think they will resist going in a different direction as much as the oil industry has?

World rice price :Last year US$360 tonne .This year $760 to U$ 1000 tonne. Misery for third world poor.

Anti-inflation menu includes ban on Basmati rice export (Mind you this will control rice prices in India but drive them up in other import needy countries!

The ethanol lobby is also the farm lobby. The reason ethanol took off has less to do with clean air than it does the farming corporations can make a better buck IMO.

But yes, ethanol is looking more and more like a dead end on the path to green energy & energy independence. Even moving to switch grass won't save it IMO.