[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

start hoarding your food!

dmarc117

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120881517227532621.html

Reality: Food prices are already rising here much faster than the returns you are likely to get from keeping your money in a bank or money-market fund. And there are very good reasons to believe prices on the shelves are about to start rising a lot faster.

"Load up the pantry," says Manu Daftary, one of Wall Street's top investors and the manager of the Quaker Strategic Growth mutual fund. "I think prices are going higher. People are too complacent. They think it isn't going to happen here. But I don't know how the food companies can absorb higher costs." (Full disclosure: I am an investor in Quaker Strategic)

I decided to just take a look yesterday at Costco and there was absolutely no rice in stock....so I bought beer and wine.

A part of the "rice shortage" is panic buying. In the interim, I encourage everyone to revisit the potato. It's a still-cheap, abundant starch. Sure, you can't make nasi goring with it. But I don't get why anyone would buy into the panic if they can just switch to readily available alternative.

A part of the "rice shortage" is panic buying. In the interim, I encourage everyone to revisit the potato. It's a still-cheap, abundant starch. Sure, you can't make nasi goring with it. But I don't get why anyone would buy into the panic if they can just switch to readily available alternative.

I'm sure thats a big part of it. I had just heard that Costco was limiting the amount of rice that they would sell to any 1 person and wanted to see what the fuss was about. I had no intention of actually buying any. I've got plenty. I have no problem believing that the Costco imposed limitation on rice sales actually boosted their rice sales. For "hoarding" though, I'm sure its much harder to store potatoes long term but have never looked into it.

I did try Kai vodka recently which is made from rice. I'll stick with the potato variety.

I'm sure thats a big part of it. I had just heard that Costco was limiting the amount of rice that they would sell to any 1 person and wanted to see what the fuss was about. I had no intention of actually buying any. I've got plenty. I have no problem believing that the Costco imposed limitation on rice sales actually boosted their rice sales. For "hoarding" though, I'm sure its much harder to store potatoes long term but have never looked into it.

I did try Kai vodka recently which is made from rice. I'll stick with the potato variety.

Try Sake.