[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying a new cd player

Jackass

My cd player of 15 years just hit the wall. I know some people would advise to skip it and hook everything up to my computer but i'm old school and want to buy a new cd player. I want to spend around 200 bucks or so give or take but i want it be a good player. i've been looking on-line at the usual brands, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sherwood, Denon. Since a lot of stores don't really even carry much of these items anymore, it's hard to know how it's going to sound. Anyone have any suggestions on what i should be looking for or what brand.model to go with.

Edited by Jackass

Peepin has some good info about using the DVD player if they are using the same amps, speakers, etc. If you have a dedicated music system separate form the home theater, this may not be a viable alternative. On thing to remember is that even though every item in the audio chain somehow, some way colors the sound, the things you hear the most are the speakers and to a lesser degree, the amps. The transport, in this case the laser that reads the bits off the CD, does not have a great impact on the sound that you hear. The things that will affect the sound are the DAC (Digital-Analog Conversion) chips used to translate the bits of data into a waveform that your speakers can use. (NOTE: Unless you're a total audio geek and want a tube CD player which will significantly color the sound. That however is a discussion for another day)

Most Receiver/Amp combo units will have built in DACs. So won't many CD players. The way to tell which one your using is by the type of cable used to connect your CD player to your receiver/amp. If you use a Digital Coax or Optical cable, you're using the DACs in your receiver/amp. If you're using RCA cables, then the signal is being converted in your CD player and you're using the DACs in there.

So, what it comes down to is, if you're using the DACs in your receiver/amp and are currently happy with the sound, then go cheap(er) on the CD player. Stick with the entry level units from the manufacturers you mentioned above unless you there is some feature that you absolutely have to have.

I've got the Sony 400 CD jukebox and love that thing...except never move it with CDs in it.

As do I, but not every one enjoys that sort of thing. And your absolutely right about moving it with the CDs in it.

I've got the Sony 400 CD jukebox and love that thing...except never move it with CDs in it.

A buddy of mine has that too, but he's waaaaaay more into music than most people. Like unnaturally so. I believe he has thousands of albums. Many still in plastic.

Peepin has some good info about using the DVD player if they are using the same amps, speakers, etc. If you have a dedicated music system separate form the home theater, this may not be a viable alternative. On thing to remember is that even though every item in the audio chain somehow, some way colors the sound, the things you hear the most are the speakers and to a lesser degree, the amps. The transport, in this case the laser that reads the bits off the CD, does not have a great impact on the sound that you hear. The things that will affect the sound are the DAC (Digital-Analog Conversion) chips used to translate the bits of data into a waveform that your speakers can use. (NOTE: Unless you're a total audio geek and want a tube CD player which will significantly color the sound. That however is a discussion for another day)

Most Receiver/Amp combo units will have built in DACs. So won't many CD players. The way to tell which one your using is by the type of cable used to connect your CD player to your receiver/amp. If you use a Digital Coax or Optical cable, you're using the DACs in your receiver/amp. If you're using RCA cables, then the signal is being converted in your CD player and you're using the DACs in there.

So, what it comes down to is, if you're using the DACs in your receiver/amp and are currently happy with the sound, then go cheap(er) on the CD player. Stick with the entry level units from the manufacturers you mentioned above unless you there is some feature that you absolutely have to have.

can you expand on this? Is the connection on the CD player different, as in it only takes Digital Coax? I have a Yamaha HTR-5940. I would think it would have built in DAC's but I am just using coax. What am I missing out on here?

can you expand on this? Is the connection on the CD player different, as in it only takes Digital Coax? I have a Yamaha HTR-5940. I would think it would have built in DAC's but I am just using coax. What am I missing out on here?

Not sure what you're missing. You'll either use an analog or digital cable to connect the two devices. A digital cable can come in one of two flavors, optical or coax. If you're using a coax cable to connect the two, then you are using the DACs in the receiver. As an aside, the HTR-5940 uses Burr-Brown DACs which are very highly regarded. The way you have things connected is perfect and you're not missing out on anything fidelitywise by doing it that way.

Not sure what you're missing. You'll either use an analog or digital cable to connect the two devices. A digital cable can come in one of two flavors, optical or coax. If you're using a coax cable to connect the two, then you are using the DACs in the receiver. As an aside, the HTR-5940 uses Burr-Brown DACs which are very highly regarded. The way you have things connected is perfect and you're not missing out on anything fidelitywise by doing it that way.

Thanks Kid. I did a bit of researching when putting this together a few years ago, but I am in no means knowledgeable about setting it up for optimal sound. This thing seems to do most of the work but I know I am missing some things that could enhance it. As far as music goes I am happy. But some movies seem a bit "off". I will keep playing with it.

Thanks for your post. My audio system is a separate entity. I actually have an old receiver so it's probably using RCA cables, in which case the CD player may have a bigger impact on the sound quality, so i should get something that's pretty good. Did i interpret that correctly?

Thanks for your post. My audio system is a separate entity. I actually have an old receiver so it's probably using RCA cables, in which case the CD player may have a bigger impact on the sound quality, so i should get something that's pretty good. Did i interpret that correctly?

Yes.

The next question is budget. You can spend an awful lot of cabbage on a CD player if you want to.