[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blu-ray players

Skilly

I'm considering buying a blu-ray player. The PS3 is now $399--is that the best bargain for a player? I would primarily be using it for watching movies and not gaming. From what I have read, it can upscale standard DVDs pretty good as well.

Also, does it have a digital audo output other than the HDMI port? I was distressed to discover that my Yamaha A/V receiver does not have any HDMI ports. I'm not quite ready to replace that just yet, as it is only 4 years old (I know........that's like 35 years in electronics dog years).

alright...right now the PS3 is the best value for it's price and may even be going down in price on the 12th of June...so I would wait until then to decide on picking one up because they will probably come out with a few new Playstation 40GB bundle that comes with a few movies..

I've also noticed that the current standalone players take longer to load a movie than the PS3, plus it's upgradeable via internet...

also, it has optical and your receiver probably has this....but I'd seriously look at upgrading soon because you're being slighted the PS3's full potential...(edit to add:) HDMI allows for lossless and TrueHD audio and I am also suffering from not having HDMI passthrough as I only have a Bose wave radio right now...

definitely need to upgrade that...

Edited by Avernus

PS3 is the best bang for your buck in my opinion.I bought one mainly for movies,and it seems to upscale my old DVD's nicely.

If you have a wireless router pick internet connection,wireless,then let it scan.Click on your connection when it shows,enter your WEP or WPA encryption key and your all set.It will update itself to the latest version which adds features for your Blu-Ray player,and will also let you play online if you wish.