[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiger Woods out for the year...

KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Well, I can just hear people saying "Tiger coulda, woulda, shoulda" won more majors than anyone if only he didn't have all those injuriies.

Anyway, who the f#@k cares - this is f'n golf we're talking about. Golf is not only NOT a sport, it's f'n ghey.

Golf is a game...not a sport. As far as being ghey...label me a flamer because I'm a golfin' sumbitch.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IS GOLF A SPORT? SERIOUSLY.

By Dave Hollander

"I'm at birthday party last weekend for my friend's 5-year old and his buddies find out I'm sports writer. Some nondescript LPGA championship is playing on the TV with no sound and one of the fathers tells to me how Lorena Ochoa ought to get more recognition. Another asks me if I think Tiger Woods will pass Jack Nicklaus' hallowed record of winning 18 professional majors - after all, Tiger's halfway there. So I jiggled the ice in my glass and offered a seasoned perspective: "Seriously guys, do you really consider golfers to be athletes?" I was friendless for the rest of the afternoon.

Are golfers athletes? Ichiro Suzuki, the fleet Seattle Mariners outfielder, commented on Tiger's Wood's athleticism last spring in USA Today: "Tiger is a great golfer, but ... when you say athlete, I think of Carl Lewis. When you talk about (golfers or race-car drivers), I don't want to see them run. It's the same if you were to meet a beautiful girl and go bowling. If she's an ugly bowler, you are going to be disappointed." I'll have to ponder the "ugly bowler" analogy a little longer but I think Ichiro raises a larger question: Is golf a sport?

Golf does not even rise to the level of "a good walk spoiled" because the primary action of walking is not required. So says PGA Tour v. Martin (2001) where the Supreme Court ordered the PGA to allow disabled golfer Casey Martin to use a golf cart in between holes rather than walk. The Court supported its decision by finding that whether a golfer walks between holes does not "fundamentally alter the nature" of the game. How can you call something a sport where being ambulatory is not a basic minimum physical requirement?

A "sport" requires athleticism. Athletes are people who demonstrate superior physical skill in the areas of strength, agility and stamina. Think of the mythological gods and heroes who personified the highest physical virtues: Hermes (speed), Hercules (strength), Aphrodite (stamina). There's got to be at least some running to call it a sport. I'd prefer some contact, too. But "no walking required"? You call that a sport?

Just because it's difficult doesn't mean it's a sport. Computer programming and brain surgery are difficult. They are not sports. Just because you compete doesn't make it a sport either. Pretzel vendors compete. Art galleries compete. Hell, a spelling bee is a competition. Golf is recreation--something to pass the time. It is no more a sport than marbles or cat's cradle.

That takes me to my final point: Golf is boring. You want to get a nap in on Sunday afternoon? Turn on golf. Looking for that TV show to help the kids get some shut-eye? Turn on golf. Do you want to see the least amount of physical prowess combined with the greatest dearth of raw emotion? Turn on golf.

Not long ago, I listened to a host on talk radio praise Hall of Fame play-by-play announcer Pat Sumerall for his ability to call any sport on television -- even golf. "Golf's easy," said Summerall. "Nothing happens."

That, my friends, says it all."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-holland...y_b_100906.html

Golf is not now, has never been, and will never be, a sport.

Cool. You should play professional golf then. I hear there's lots of money in it.

You might want to look up the definition of "athlete."

I play golf, I have a 13 handicap. Not great but I hold my own. About looking up the definition, I don't need to but just for your convenience here it is.

define: athlete

# a person trained to compete in sports

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

# An athlete (American English) or sportsperson (British English) is any person who participates in a sporting event. (In British English, an "athlete" is specifically a track and field participant.)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlete

define: golf

The game. Played by playing a ball from the teeing ground into the hole by a stroke or successive strokes in accordance with the Rules of Golf.

www.worldgolf.com/wglibrary/reference/dictionary/gpage.html

a game played with a small ball and a set of clubs, the object being to hit the ball into each of a series of holes with the smallest possible number of strokes -- of uncertain origin but may have originated with a game called chole, is supposedly the Celtic word for "ball" and also may come ...

www.pgaprofessional.com/golf_glossary/g.html

is a game believed to have been first played in Scotland, where each player has to hit his own small ball into a hole using various types of clubs. The club is swung at the motionless ball on the ground from a side-stance. ...

encyclopedia.kids.net.au/page/go/Golf

# a game played on a large open course with 9 or 18 holes; the object is use as few strokes as possible in playing all the holes

# play golf

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I play golf, I have a 13 handicap. Not great but I hold my own. About looking up the definition, I don't need to but just for your convenience here it is.

Here's what Webster has to say about it:

Main Entry:

ath·lete Listen to the pronunciation of athlete Listen to the pronunciation of athlete

Pronunciation:

\ˈath-ˌlēt, ÷ˈa-thə-ˌlēt\

Function:

noun

Etymology:

Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlētēs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest

Date:

15th century

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Bummer. I always look forward to watching Tiger at the British Open.

I'm sure they will show clips and talk about him enough during the match to satisfy you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-holland...y_b_100906.html

Golf is not now, has never been, and will never be, a sport.

We have a smart one here.

Here's what Webster has to say about it:

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

I walk 36 holes & it doesn't take that much physical strength, agility or stamina & if it does to you then you should quit hitting the fast food joints & start hitting the treadmill a little. I work & play with a guy who is pushing 80, thin as a rail and he can drive the ball darn near as far as I can. I sure as heck wouldn't call him an athlete.

I walk 36 holes & it doesn't take that much physical strength, agility or stamina & if it does to you then you should quit hitting the fast food joints & start hitting the treadmill a little. I work & play with a guy who is pushing 80, thin as a rail and he can drive the ball darn near as far as I can. I sure as heck wouldn't call him an athlete.

You're changing the argument. I said in a previous post that most golfers are not athletes but Tiger certainly is. If you only define an athlete as someone who plays a sport, then that's your assessment. But there numerous "athletes" by that definition that I would not call an athlete. Charlie Hough and Babe Ruth come to mind.

And I have nothing against baseball...it paid for my college.

Are we done with this or just taking a break? :wacko:

I know where he's coming from. My uncles played college golf and I always called it a pansy sport. I picked it up after my baseball career and loved it. Best game I've ever played. My uncles still think that professional golfers are athletes. I completely disagree. But I do think Tiger is one. My definition of an athlete is someone that can run, throw, has great hand-eye coordination, is in shape, and can basically pick up any game/sport and excel at it. If Tiger played baseball instead of golf, I think he would be just as good. He has a lot of talent and discipline. I think he would excel at just about anything.

Doesn't matter now. Tiger is nothing more than a cripple.

compared to other sports, golf certainly is more of a game than a sport, however Tiger is an athlete, no doubt- now Rocco on the other hand, god love him but he is shaped like a weebl-o. However, the average Joe couldn't come close to walking and playing top-notch golf Thur-Sun , hitting balls and staying fresh like the top pros do.

I equate it to race care driving, which I have zero interest in, - which is a skill, but dayum, it takes some strength and endurance to handle the cars like they do over the course of a race - so- compared to more rigourous sports, probly not, but most of those guys are in great shape.....

Why would you think I am not being serious? Tiger Woods may be in great shape but he's no more an athlete than I am.

No, your right, it takes absolutely no athleticism to play the toughest sport in the world at a high level :wacko:

Edited by theprofessor

you sound like a fool. to play at the level of PGA golf, it takes a tremendous amount of physical discipline, coordination and mental stamina. yes, an 80 year old dude can catch a drive, but he does not have the athletic ability to compete at the professional level. i can nail a strike now and then at the bowling alley, but i ain't no professional bowler. that takes another entire level of, again, physical discipline, coordination, and mental stamina. that is athleticism.

I think we can all agree that golf is a game. Your point was that you are every bit as much of an athlete as Tiger Woods.

No, my point is that Tiger Woods should not be considered an athlete simply because he could play in a real sport.

Are we done with this or just taking a break? :D

My boss will fire me if I don't work every now & then.

Doesn't matter now. Tiger is nothing more than a cripple.

Ahhh, that's cold dude.

No, your right, it takes absolutely no athleticism to play the toughest sport in the world at a high level :wacko:

What sport are you referring to? Put Phil Mickelson in a set of pads & have and NFL linebacker rip him a new one then ask him which is tougher.

you sound like a fool. to play at the level of PGA golf, it takes a tremendous amount of physical discipline, coordination and mental stamina. yes, an 80 year old dude can catch a drive, but he does not have the athletic ability to compete at the professional level. i can nail a strike now and then at the bowling alley, but i ain't no professional bowler. that takes another entire level of, again, physical discipline, coordination, and mental stamina. that is athleticism.
Way to take it to another level. That 80 year old man carries only a slightly higher handicap than I do. By no means am I calling him a pro but my point is he has the "athletic ability" to compete at a pretty high level especially at his age.

“If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool.”

compared to other sports, golf certainly is more of a game than a sport, however Tiger is an athlete, no doubt- now Rocco on the other hand, god love him but he is shaped like a weebl-o. However, the average Joe couldn't come close to walking and playing top-notch golf Thur-Sun , hitting balls and staying fresh like the top pros do.

I equate it to race care driving, which I have zero interest in, - which is a skill, but dayum, it takes some strength and endurance to handle the cars like they do over the course of a race - so- compared to more rigourous sports, probly not, but most of those guys are in great shape.....

The same could be said of half of the pitchers in MLB, and quite a few of the DH's as well.

Baseball must not be a sport.

That 80 year old man carries only a slightly higher handicap than I do. By no means am I calling him a pro but my point is he has the "athletic ability" to compete at a pretty high level especially at his age.

I don't want to bust your bubble...but a 13 handicap is not a "high level." On my home course, a 13 handicap would shoot a 90.

The same could be said of half of the pitchers in MLB, and quite a few of the DH's as well.

Baseball must not be a sport.

solid analogy -

If it isn't clear to you that a heavy DH or pitcher is not a better all around athlete than the broken down 45 year old Rocco Mediate we watched all weekend- then I cannot help you.

Plenty of bigger guys that are still athletes

so easy, even a caveman can undertand it