[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Radio broadcasts of baseball games

MojoMan

Listening to KMOX and the Cards was part of life! Some of my earliest, fondest baseball memories include Harry Carry's call in '64 when the Cards caught the Phillies on the last day and won the pennant. And then listening to Jack Buck...baseball on the radio is the tits.

Of course, if I had to listen to Orioles games I'd turn it off too.

Yet another thumbs up for baseball and the radio. Maybe the problem is that you guys are sitting there staring at it like the kids in the old time pictures. If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm gonna break it down for you. Nothing visual happens, so the thing to do is to somehow engage yourself otherwise and allow the game to become the backdrop to your activity.

Glad to be of help.

Edited by detlef

by the way can anyone from SD area shed some light for me...

Last week I caught some of the Padres broadcast and the 2 guys they have on there are f'n TOOLS. It sounded like some scaled back morning zoo radio show- a bunch of tacky one liners- really lame azz baseball coverage if you ask me- I was actually in shock by the poor quality of the broadcast-it stunk.

anyone from SD care to explain these guys? are they liked out there and I just didn't "get it'?

Edited by Marauders11

I think about a billion people grew up listening to Marty (Brennaman) & Joe (Knuxhall) call Reds games on 700 WLW, which I believe could be heard in almost half the country (at least it seemed like it). There are other great announcers (and tandem announcers) across the country, but there were none better.

Sadly Knuxhall died this past offseason. Even though he "retired" 5 years ago (after 30+ years teamed w/ Marty), he still did an occasional game since then. When he did, you could suddenly be an 8 year old boy again, listening to the game on a radio under your pillow, with Marty & Joe painting the perfect picture of the game. When Joe died, every baseball fan in Cincinnati suddenly got a lot older.

Radio is boring? You have missed it completely.

When you walk into the Red's stadium, you pass the Red's museum, and there are a bunch of statues and banners out front. They also have radio play-by-play calls from famous moments in Reds history playing over the loudspeakers in that area.....it is honestly the coolest thing I think I've experiencd (sports related anyway) in a long time.

Marty's the best. Cincinnati has been blessed with great announcers - Waite Hoyt, Al Michaels during the Big Red Machine era and now Marty. Adding Thom Brennaman this year is a big plus.

Marty's the best. Cincinnati has been blessed with great announcers - Waite Hoyt, Al Michaels during the Big Red Machine era and now Marty. Adding Thom Brennaman this year is a big plus.

what about Jeff Brantley, or do you not speak of him :wacko:

I was just driving home and the local sportstalk (AM 980) was broadcasting the Oriole game.

For God's sake.

I find baseball barely tolerable after about 4-5 beers at the ball park.

It is essentially intolerable on TV when you at least can see something.

It is ball-crushingly boring on radio. It seems very 1950s.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Baseball on radio is great... Your problem was that you were listening to the Orioles...

I think about a billion people grew up listening to Marty (Brennaman) & Joe (Knuxhall) call Reds games on 700 WLW, which I believe could be heard in almost half the country (at least it seemed like it). There are other great announcers (and tandem announcers) across the country, but there were none better.

Sadly Knuxhall died this past offseason. Even though he "retired" 5 years ago (after 30+ years teamed w/ Marty), he still did an occasional game since then. When he did, you could suddenly be an 8 year old boy again, listening to the game on a radio under your pillow, with Marty & Joe painting the perfect picture of the game. When Joe died, every baseball fan in Cincinnati suddenly got a lot older.

Radio is boring? You have missed it completely.

When you walk into the Red's stadium, you pass the Red's museum, and there are a bunch of statues and banners out front. They also have radio play-by-play calls from famous moments in Reds history playing over the loudspeakers in that area.....it is honestly the coolest thing I think I've experiencd (sports related anyway) in a long time.

:wacko: @ thinking Marty being a great announcer...