[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home Equity Line Frozen

MrTed46

The economy is really going to poopy!

I bought a house last year (11months ago actually) and I got a home equity line of credit with my monster mortgage through Chase. Well last week Chase froze my home equity line of credit because they did an electronic appraisal on my house and they appraised it at 7% less than what a real appraiser valued it a little under a year ago! I called to complain, and the very knowledgeable and helpful customer service told me that in his 20+ years in the business he has never seen a bank do electronic appraisals and freeze home equity loans. The only way to get my line back is to get my house appraised and prove to them it did not lose value.

In my area (NYC - Queens) homes did NOT lose any value whatsoever and I even did some home improvements to my home since then. What sucks is that I have to pay for an appraiser to come do this and I dont know any. And if the house lost ANY value (which I doubt) I would not get my line back and lose the $ spent on the appraisal. I know a few people here live in NYC area so I figure I would ask here first and get this crazy story out.

Edited by MrTed46

As the $hit hits the fan!

An appraisal is gonna cost you between 350-550.

F'em! If you are A-paper, I would just get in touch with another national lender and open one with a slightly lower limit, possibly with no appraisal or closing costs.

My finance buddy set me up with a Chase equity line about a year ago. Then a couple of months back he calls up and warns me that Chase is freezing home equity lines in certain areas and if I needed any money it might be wise to make a draw. I didn't pull any money and my line is still open, hopefully it will stay that way. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, hope things work out for the best.

I think maybe you are overestimating the values in your area. Values are dropping EVERYWHERE. Also, I think most lenders determine this by county so even if your neighorhood is holding somewhat, others in the county might ber bringing it down. I had mine frozen in Maple Grove where new HUGH luxury homes are being built all over the place.

They said any licenses appraiser

Some licensed appraisers get on their $hit list. I used our "main guy" to appraise my buddy's home. He is fully licensed. They said they wouldn't accept his work. Whoever you were talking to at Chase, if you in fact you want to try and reopen it there, may not know it but they indeed want an appraiser from their approved list.

Some licensed appraisers get on their $hit list. I used our "main guy" to appraise my buddy's home. He is fully licensed. They said they wouldn't accept his work. Whoever you were talking to at Chase, if you in fact you want to try and reopen it there, may not know it but they indeed want an appraiser from their approved list.

Good info here. Make the call to the lender once an appraiser is chosen.

Good luck to you...