[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don Imus

FWmaker

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just curious. I use to be in the industry back in the day and started when I was just old enough to hold a job also. Held every position from busser to floor manager/kitchen manager, etc . I've been out of it now for quite a few years (I didn't want to work those crazy hours and weekends when I had a family).

Leaving a penny on top was passed down to me from a waiter I knew who had MANY years in the biz. I was told it was a sign of respect for such a good service. To be honest, I haven't heard many others talk about it before, and was always curious just how wide spread the practice was or if it was maybe just a local or regional thing? Anyway... carry on!

The funny thing is, the only tipping practice that I've ever heard of that involved a penny meant the exact opposite. That is, if somebody was completely pissed about their service, they'd leave a penny and nothing more so there was no confusion as to whether or not they simply forgot to tip. Mind you, I've never actually witnessed that happening from either side of the table.

Yes, but what's the economic demographics for inmates?

What's the breakdown of blacks living in or near the poverty level versus whites?

This is one argument for reparations... descendants of slaves have less resources to build on so they have a disproportionately harder struggle to succeed.

This post warranted another response. My first one was the "canned standard argument" though I actually do live next door to a success story as stated earlier.

Taking some statistics form 2005 (I didn't want to spent too much time and I don't imagine things have changed much in three years for the sake of this discussion):

Both the poverty rate and the number in poverty for non-Hispanic whites decreased—8.3% and 16.2 million in 2005, down from 8.7% and 16.9 million in 2004. Poverty rates remained statistically unchanged for blacks (24.9%) and Hispanics (21.8%) between 2004 and 2005. Among Asians, 11.1% were in poverty in 2005, higher than the 9.8% in 2004. The number of Asians in poverty also increased—to 1.4 million in 2005 from 1.2 million in 2004.

And from the census link provided earlier:

The non-Hispanic, single-race white population of 199.1 million represented 66 percent of the total population.

This would account for appx 16.5 million whites at or below the poverty level. This # itself is almost half of the entire black population of the US (a little over 40 million). One of the lineages of my family were indentured servants. Do I too get to claim reparations and use that as an excuse for any shortcomings in my life?

Taking the black population of appx. 40 million and applying the poverty number above, there are appx 10 million blacks at or below the poverty level, almost 7 million fewer than whites.

So given the "poverty", "poor me" me (pardon the pun) argument, how do you account for the disproportionate representation of black males making up the prison population of this country? i.e. 6.75% of the population accounts for contributing 35.4% of the prison population!

Hopefully you will give me this one, but I recently read that approximately HALF of the welfare recipients in this country were white!

None of these statistics can support an argument that states that poverty is the cause for criminal behavior on a racial basis! The numbers, to me, make it actually look worse than most people realize.

Granted, those who live in poor conditions are more likely to commit crimes, especially robbery of money or food to provide the basic necessities. But there is no explaination that supports the drugs and violence, especially against women, that is perpetrated in the name of "social inequities".

This post warranted another response. My first one was the "canned standard argument" though I actually do live next door to a success story as stated earlier.

Taking some statistics form 2005 (I didn't want to spent too much time and I don't imagine things have changed much in three years for the sake of this discussion):

Both the poverty rate and the number in poverty for non-Hispanic whites decreased—8.3% and 16.2 million in 2005, down from 8.7% and 16.9 million in 2004. Poverty rates remained statistically unchanged for blacks (24.9%) and Hispanics (21.8%) between 2004 and 2005. Among Asians, 11.1% were in poverty in 2005, higher than the 9.8% in 2004. The number of Asians in poverty also increased—to 1.4 million in 2005 from 1.2 million in 2004.

And from the census link provided earlier:

This would account for appx 16.5 million whites at or below the poverty level. This # itself is almost half of the entire black population of the US (a little over 40 million). One of the lineages of my family were indentured servants. Do I too get to claim reparations and use that as an excuse for any shortcomings in my life?

Taking the black population of appx. 40 million and applying the poverty number above, there are appx 10 million blacks at or below the poverty level, almost 7 million fewer than whites.

So given the "poverty", "poor me" me (pardon the pun) argument, how do you account for the disproportionate representation of black males making up the prison population of this country? i.e. 6.75% of the population accounts for contributing 35.4% of the prison population!

Hopefully you will give me this one, but I recently read that approximately HALF of the welfare recipients in this country were white!

None of these statistics can support an argument that states that poverty is the cause for criminal behavior on a racial basis! The numbers, to me, make it actually look worse than most people realize.

Granted, those who live in poor conditions are more likely to commit crimes, especially robbery of money or food to provide the basic necessities. But there is no explaination that supports the drugs and violence, especially against women, that is perpetrated in the name of "social inequities".

:wacko: Ahem! What exactly does this have to do with the topic of the purpose of pennies in the common practice of tipping? Please stay on topic.

Ever heard of the penny on top thing before?

In college I waited on tables and an old waitress there explained to me that a penny on top of the tip meant "good service" if it was heads up, "bad service" if it was tails up.

Of course, just a penny with no cash probably means bad service, no matter which side is up.

I was told it was a sign of respect for such a good service. To be honest, I haven't heard many others talk about it before, and was always curious just how wide spread the practice was or if it was maybe just a local or regional thing? Anyway... carry on!

You wanna show a sign of respect? Grab his/her manager on the way out the door and let em know just how well you were taken care of. Send an email to corporate, if it's that type of restaurant. Managers can't see everything, and when they hear good things about their servers, good things will happen for the servers....better sections, VIP's, large parties, etc. More opportunities to make mucho denero

carry on

:wacko:

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

You wanna show a sign of respect? Grab his/her manager on the way out the door and let em know just how well you were taken care of. Send an email to corporate, if it's that type of restaurant. Managers can't see everything, and when they hear good things about their servers, good things will happen for the servers....better sections, VIP's, large parties, etc. More opportunities to make mucho denero

carry on

:wacko:

Funny you should say that. About a month ago my family joined up with a few others at this local Italian restaurant (there were 18 of us, with approx. half young kids). A large party with kids can be hell for many servers.

Anyway, the server was tremendous (attentive, friendly, good with the kids, etc). However, a guy (friend of a friend) that was with us was kind of obnoxious and making remarks to the rest of us that it was taking to long for his drinks, etc.,albeit not warranted...Anyway, for all she did, and for putting up with the comments from this guy...at the end, I went over to the manager, who happened to be standing by our sever and a few other servers, and complimented about the wonderful service and that we would be back because of her. I got a high five from the our waiter, and you could the see the sense of gratitude on her face. The manager was very appreciative as well and the other servers were saying our waiter is the best of them.

It's such a simple thing to do, but few take the time to do it...even when warranted. Next time your experience is delightful, try it.

:D Ahem! What exactly does this have to do with the topic of the purpose of pennies in the common practice of tipping? Please stay on topic.

:wacko: Ummmmmm, Sorry? :D

:D