[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Minnesota and Memphis swap Mayo and Love in multiplayer deal

budlitebrad

The Minnesota Timberwolves aren't holding on to O.J. Mayo for long.

Two league sources told ESPN.com that the Wolves have reached an agreement in principle with the Memphis Grizzlies that will send the draft rights to Mayo, Marko Jaric, Antoine Walker and Greg Buckner to the Grizzlies in return for the draft rights to Kevin Love, Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal and Jason Collins.

The deal is a blockbuster for both teams. ESPN.com reported on Tuesday that Wolves GM Kevin McHale was infatuated with Love, but felt that the team had to select Mayo and use him to acquire more assets. Love, a fundamentally-sound post player, should mesh well with the Timberwolves' budding star Al Jefferson.

great deal for MIn- they are on the right side of this one. While I don't love K LOVE, I think he is solid and somewhat limited, I would much rather have Mike Miller and Love than Mayo. Mayo will be solid, but not great either IMO.

Plus they get Jaric's horrible contract off the books. Walker is a stiff, and Buckner is a dime a dozen type-player.

great deal for Minny - Plus they get Brian Cardinal!!! what's not to love.

great deal for MIn- they are on the right side of this one. While I don't love K LOVE, I think he is solid and somewhat limited, I would much rather have Mike Miller and Love than Mayo. Mayo will be solid, but not great either IMO.

Plus they get Jaric's horrible contract off the books. Walker is a stiff, and Buckner is a dime a dozen type-player.

great deal for Minny - Plus they get Brian Cardinal!!! what's not to love.

Local rag isn't that impressed but what they say is usually crap anyway. That said, McHale's track record absolutely sucks balls - last year's trade of Brandon Roy after drafting him for Randy Foye plus a few $$$ has turned out pretty badly. No reason this one won't turn out just as badly. IMO, the main motivation here was to get Jaric's bloated contract off the books - and that was a McHale error too.

Local rag isn't that impressed but what they say is usually crap anyway. That said, McHale's track record absolutely sucks balls - last year's trade of Brandon Roy after drafting him for Randy Foye plus a few $$$ has turned out pretty badly. No reason this one won't turn out just as badly. IMO, the main motivation here was to get Jaric's bloated contract off the books - and that was a McHale error too.

agreed- McHale has been horrible, very Isaiah Thomas-esque - but just looking at this one deal - I like it. The the way I look at it KM was all over Love's nuts - so, he ended up getting his guy. + a very good player in Miller- and unloading of Jaric's dogchit contract - a step in the right direction IMO.

no if Mayo turns into Kobe Bryant-lite, well, then that is a different story. I watched Mayo alot in the Pac 10 - solid in all areas, great in none- I think he will be a solid pro, nothing more.