[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for perch

MojoMan

We in the market for a smallish, single-family house.

The problem is that in our price range and in the neighborhoods we're looking at, many of the houses were built in the 1930s or so. For whatever reason, under the standards of that time and maybe in that place (Washington, DC metro) builders did not put a fu(kin' toilet on the main living floor.

Being that I like to be able to take a piss or dump without having to go up or down stairs and I'm extremely lazy, that is totally unacceptable.

So, what would it cost to put in a very simple, utilitarian "powder room" into a house? The place we're looking at would not require long stretches of plumbing, we're looking to add a couple of walls and a door off the kitchen with short runs of plumbing and the requisite crapper (don't need the Ferguson*) and sink.

We're just looking for a ballpark estimate.

TIA

*Married with Children reference

Edited by MojoMan

We in the market for a smallish, single-family house.

The problem is that in our price range and in the neighborhoods we're looking at, many of the houses were built in the 1930s or so. For whatever reason, under the standards of that time and maybe in that place (Washington, DC metro) builders did not put a fu(kin' toilet on the main living floor.

Being that I like to be able to take a piss or dump without having to go up or down stairs and I'm extremely lazy, that is totally unacceptable.

So, what would it cost to put in a very simple, utilitarian "powder room" into a house? The place we're looking at would not require long stretches of plumbing, we're looking to add a couple of walls and a door off the kitchen with short runs of plumbing.

We're just looking for a ballpark estimate.

TIA

I would not consider myself an expert but I do have a Handyman business. I do a lot of plumbing repairs, some remodels and a little carpentry. Figuring adding a few walls, sheet rock, plumbing for a commode and sink I would guess $10,000 plus. This is just a rough estimate based on seeing nothing. I would call in (3) contractors and get estimates. Try to get references.

Edited by Footballjoe

All my Bathroom remodels run between $5000.00-$9000.00........without a 5' tub/shower you're closer to the 5000....that includes some tearout and changes you described, fixtures(toilet,sink,vanity,towel bars tp holder, mirror,light bar above mirror fartfan/light combo) and tile floor.......go with a Pedestal sink to make the room look better and bigger compared to the big boxy vanity, plus chicks dig it :wacko:

All my Bathroom remodels run between $5000.00-$9000.00........without a 5' tub/shower you're closer to the 5000....that includes some tearout and changes you described, fixtures(toilet,sink,vanity,towel bars tp holder, mirror,light bar above mirror fartfan/light combo) and tile floor.......go with a Pedestal sink to make the room look better and bigger compared to the big boxy vanity, plus chicks dig it :wacko:

"The place we're looking at would not require long stretches of plumbing, we're looking to add a couple of walls and a door off the kitchen" This appears much more than a remodel with new walls and no existing plumbing.

"The place we're looking at would not require long stretches of plumbing, we're looking to add a couple of walls and a door off the kitchen" This appears much more than a remodel with new walls and no existing plumbing.

Not for me .....ROOKIE :wacko:

I would not consider myself an expert but I do have a Handyman business. I do a lot of plumbing repairs, some remodels and a little carpentry. Figuring adding a few walls, sheet rock, plumbing for a commode and sink I would guess $10,000 plus. This is just a rough estimate based on seeing nothing. I would call in (3) contractors and get estimates. Try to get references.

This sounds right if you're not going to do the work yourself. I'm re-doing a bathroom changing it from a tub to a walk in shower. I like to use new materials and am installing glass blocks as the shower wall on one side. It’s a friggin pain to remove the old stuff, and in older houses there’s a lot of hidden stuff. A lot of my friend's older houses only have one bathroom. Sucks to take a steamer and then force someone to don the gasmask and go in because there’s no other option. Two bathrooms is a must for a family.

Hot damn! What a timely thread. "We" (I, :wacko: ) are completely redoing the guest bath. For the last two days "we" (I, :D ) have been taking everything out, toilet, tub/shower, double bowl vanity, old tile flooring, all the plumbing, and I haven't been this frustrated since I don't know when. Whoever put this stuff in originally must have thought this would be the room to go to in case of a nuclear attack. It would almost have been easier to bring a backhoe up to the side of the house and start tearing down the place from the outside. But now it's down to bare floor, stud walls, and ready to be rebuilt. I showed the wife that this should cost about 10K and she says how smart she is for wanting to do it ourselves. If this doesn't start going better you'll be reading about the murder/suicide soon. But I have had sex two times since we started so maybe she knows what she's doing after all...