[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

rocknrobn question

AtomicCEO

If I went to Home Depot and got myself a a cheap MIG welder, helmet and gloves, and read the manual... what are the odds I could make a couple pieces of angle iron into a square without seriously hurting myself... within the first 10-15 attempts.

I know it wouldn't be fast and elegant like a pro would do, but I want to make a metal rack for some car batteries, and I don't want to take it to a custom fabricator.

I've done pretty well with woodworking projects, and I'm trying to expand my horizons.

If I went to Home Depot and got myself a a cheap MIG welder, helmet and gloves, and read the manual... what are the odds I could make a couple pieces of angle iron into a square without seriously hurting myself... within the first 10-15 attempts.

I know it wouldn't be fast and elegant like a pro would do, but I want to make a metal rack for some car batteries, and I don't want to take it to a custom fabricator.

I've done pretty well with woodworking projects, and I'm trying to expand my horizons.

Those cheapo MIG welders are crap, unless it's a top name like Lincoln, Miller, Hobart.(~$500 + a Co2 tank+wire) MIG welders need either 3 phase current (not legal in a home), or an inverter. Inverters are $$$) By the way, if it's <1/4" MIG 0.035 wire works well. Over that 1/4 or > MIG sucks! The wire doesn't have the push that stick does. It will look good, but caulk will work as good. A guy once said that Willie Mosconi could beat your ass w/ a piece of leather wrapped over a broom stick. I used to make a similar claim about welding, but I digress. If it's a relatively simple job, call your local CC. I used to do a lot of stuff for the locals (as long as liability was minimal), for free, but I'd ask them to get donuts for the class or some such when they asked "How Much?".

What brand is it?

How much?

How much will you use it afterward?

Your investment will be ~$600-$800! That's a lot of coin for one project.

Take a welding class! Do it there! I had a lot of hobbyists that enrolled just for that.

Before you ask, an Oxy/Acetylene setup will cost a little less, but you'll still have the thickness restriction.

FWIW:

1/16" - infinity do stick arc! SMAW Cheaper than MIG.

1/16"-3/16" MIG/TIG (GMAW/GTAW)

1/16"-3/16" OA

GTAW (TIG) is much more versatile as it can be used for SS & Alum along with steel. But will cost more than MIG.

Regardless, there is a learning curve here, meaning PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! MIG looks like an electric/steel caulk gun, but it ain't!

Dam....I have to quit! TMI! :wacko:

If you want to talk, PM me. Otherwise consider what I wrote or ask more questions. :D

You can borrow mine if you want. It's a Lincoln and I traded some outdated tools for it. I knew a welder way back when I was 17 and he told us a story where he went blind for three days from seeing too many flashes. Still kinda paranoid to use the dam thing. Seriously… borrow it anytime you want.

A simple "no" would have sufficed.

:wacko:

Where did I say "NO"???

Bring them to Chi, I'll get mt old PT teachers to do it for you. The airfare is cheaper than the equipment, but you'll have to figger out how to get them thru security! :D

Call your local CC and see if they'll do it! Or take a class and use their equipment!

"Weloers do it with a steel rod!."

"Welding.....it's a GAS!".

"Weldors do it w/ Metal".

"Kiss a Weldor.....your life may depend on it!.

Edited by rocknrobn26

When I was very young and in the body shop business there was always people coming around and asking us to weld something for them. If they were able to bring it in and liability was not a real issue a twenty dollar bill normally did the trick.

I would suggest taking the stuff down to a local body shop and see if they can hook you up. If you have had a car fixed there then they will most likely be very happy to hook you up.

Those cheapo MIG welders are crap, unless it's a top name like Lincoln, Miller, Hobart.(~$500 + a Co2 tank+wire) MIG welders need either 3 phase current (not legal in a home), or an inverter. Inverters are $$$) By the way, if it's <1/4" MIG 0.035 wire works well. Over that 1/4 or > MIG sucks! The wire doesn't have the push that stick does. It will look good, but caulk will work as good. A guy once said that Willie Mosconi could beat your ass w/ a piece of leather wrapped over a broom stick. I used to make a similar claim about welding, but I digress. If it's a relatively simple job, call your local CC. I used to do a lot of stuff for the locals (as long as liability was minimal), for free, but I'd ask them to get donuts for the class or some such when they asked "How Much?".

What brand is it?

How much?

How much will you use it afterward?

Your investment will be ~$600-$800! That's a lot of coin for one project.

Take a welding class! Do it there! I had a lot of hobbyists that enrolled just for that.

Before you ask, an Oxy/Acetylene setup will cost a little less, but you'll still have the thickness restriction.

FWIW:

1/16" - infinity do stick arc! SMAW Cheaper than MIG.

1/16"-3/16" MIG/TIG (GMAW/GTAW)

1/16"-3/16" OA

GTAW (TIG) is much more versatile as it can be used for SS & Alum along with steel. But will cost more than MIG.

Regardless, there is a learning curve here, meaning PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! MIG looks like an electric/steel caulk gun, but it ain't!

Dam....I have to quit! TMI! :wacko:

If you want to talk, PM me. Otherwise consider what I wrote or ask more questions. :D

LOTS of great info here.

The company I work for is a reqional repair center for Miller Electric.( one of five nationwide) We service and sell parts for Miller and Hobart(Hobart is owned by Miller). We also service Lincoln welders but we no longer do warranty work on them for various reasons. Definitely stay away from the cheap offbrand welders. Not only are they crap but once you use up the consumable parts(tips, nozzles,diffusers,etc) it will be next to impossible to find replacements. Home Depot does sell Lincoln but I would recommend Miller/Hobart over Lincoln in a heartbeat due to serviceability issues. We sell parts to a small wellding supply cmpany in CO. I can get you a contact if your interested, I think they have a store in Boulder.

MIG welding is definitely the easist process to learn. The first time I tried I was making very nice welds within 15 minutes and I had never welded before. PM if you need any contacts or questions. My two co-workers are a wealth of info when it comes to any kind of welding process.

Edited by slambo

When I was very young and in the body shop business there was always people coming around and asking us to weld something for them. If they were able to bring it in and liability was not a real issue a twenty dollar bill normally did the trick.

I would suggest taking the stuff down to a local body shop and see if they can hook you up. If you have had a car fixed there then they will most likely be very happy to hook you up.

Nod!

LOTS of great info here.

The company I work for is a reqional repair center for Miller Electric.( one of five nationwide) We service and sell parts for Miller and Hobart(Hobart is owned by Miller). We also service Lincoln welders but we no longer do warranty work on them for various reasons. Definitely stay away from the cheap offbrand welders. Not only are they crap but once you use up the consumable parts(tips, nozzles,diffusers,etc) it will be next to impossible to find replacements. Home Depot does sell Lincoln but I would recommend Miller/Hobart over Lincoln in a heartbeat due to serviceability issues. We sell parts to a small wellding supply cmpany in CO. I can get you a contact if your interested, I think they have a store in Boulder.

MIG welding is definitely the easist process to learn. The first time I tried I was making very nice welds within 15 minutes and I had never welded before. PM if you need any contacts or questions. My two co-workers are a wealth of info when it comes to any kind of welding process.

Good stuff! Didn't Know Hobart was bought by Miller, but I've been out of the game for 10+ years.

Used to luv the old Hobart generator welders! They were BOSS! The old "Torpedoes!". 500+ amp welder, that could light up a small town! 660 amps, 3 phase, burned many 1/4" electrodes on that puppy!

I Loved welding! POWER!

:wacko:

Where did I say "NO"???

:D you confused me with your technical talk.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I appreciate it. Yeah... the reason I looked into the MIG is because it was described as easier to learn. Home Depot sells little Lincolns for $200-$500. I'll probably leave it to someone else unless I start getting a lot of demand for it.

:wacko: you confused me with your technical talk.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I appreciate it. Yeah... the reason I looked into the MIG is because it was described as easier to learn. Home Depot sells little Lincolns for $200-$500. I'll probably leave it to someone else unless I start getting a lot of demand for it.

I've heard that Home Depot puts price constraints on the brands they sell. Let's say manufacturer Z sell model XYZ for $300. Home depot requires they sell it for $200, so they re-name it XXY, strip out some quality and sell it for cheaper. Not positive it's true, but I'll bet it is.

I've heard that Home Depot puts price constraints on the brands they sell. Let's say manufacturer Z sell model XYZ for $300. Home depot requires they sell it for $200, so they re-name it XXY, strip out some quality and sell it for cheaper. Not positive it's true, but I'll bet it is.

Definitely the case with Lincoln welders. The ones you buy at Home Depot are not the same as ones you would buy from a dedicated welding supply store. They are made speciifically for sale through HD. That is one of the reasons we no longer do warranty repairs for Lincoln.