[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DIY - Glass block install

Thews40

So I’m re-doing one of the bathrooms in my house. I like the look of glass blocks and decided I’d make one shower wall out of them. I have a Jacuzzi in the basement if I ever wanted to take a bath… which I don’t. So I decided to convert this bathroom from a standard tub, to a walk in shower with a bench seat. I’ve been told by adult ladies :wacko: that they like a seat in the shower to shave their legs.

Like most of the projects I’ve done in my house, I just read some online stuff, or the manufacturer’s literature and go for it. With this glass bock wall, I tried “method 2” the first time. It came out like shat and last weekend I bailed on it three blocks up, tore it all out and started over. I decided to go with method 1, which is to use the glass block channels.

The spacers are stupid as hell, and if necessity is the mother of invention, then someone needs to redesign them. I read the directions, started over and finished about an hour ago. That was friggin work… serious work. If you’ve ever done tile work, working with that mortar was an absolute pain. If you haven’t done tile, I would strongly suggest you do before attempting glass block.

My question… is there a pro out there that’s used something other than the stupid (and expensive) spacers Home Depot and Lowe’s sells you? Punching them out was a pain, and I fail to see why a big “+” spacer wouldn’t work better. I read about an alternative method using silicon, but ditched it. Any pro’s out there that have done this?

Can't help you with the glass block installation but I find it amusing that I am in the middle of the same type project, building a walk-in shower with a bench, etc. I was considering the glass blocks. But since the son is a carpenter he just framed in the walls/bench and I'm tiling everything instead.I've done lots of tiling before and know what I'm getting into there. The blocks looked like they could be either really simple or a real PITA. Sounds like the latter. GL with it though.

Can't help you with the glass block installation but I find it amusing that I am in the middle of the same type project, building a walk-in shower with a bench, etc. I was considering the glass blocks. But since the son is a carpenter he just framed in the walls/bench and I'm tiling everything instead.I've done lots of tiling before and know what I'm getting into there. The blocks looked like they could be either really simple or a real PITA. Sounds like the latter. GL with it though.

It was a pain, but not that bad. How are you going to get light into the bench end of the shower? I used the blocks just to add light. Are you going to install two shower heads? I am, but I haven't purchased them yet.

It was a pain, but not that bad. How are you going to get light into the bench end of the shower? I used the blocks just to add light. Are you going to install two shower heads? I am, but I haven't purchased them yet.

For what it's worth, we installed a recessed light in the shower for that reason.

For what it's worth, we installed a recessed light in the shower for that reason.

I was going to install a light and went to a lighting store to check them out. This is a mom/pop store and the guy told me that according to local code, the light had to be completely enclosed and have a gasket if was in an enclosed shower. He only had one and it was fugly.

They make these glass block windows pre-done that we put in the master bath. Not sure if you're doing framing and really gutting the place, of course, but it's an option.

It lets in a ton of light. We also did a recess light over the shower and bath. Makes a nice difference.

Nice bathroom.

The wife wanted a sky light over the shower (which is 4'x8') but I'm sorta shy and modest so I said NO to that idea. I put lighting into the ceiling instead. Just one shower head. I'm traditional... :wacko:

Here's another idea for a hugh shower! When my wife owned her flower shop she made friends with and hired a lady who is from Springfield, Missouri. Turns out her parents and Brad Pitt's parents are best friends (I don't make this crap up). Anyways the parents vacation together and several years ago when they went to "Bradley's" house they took pictures of the place, including the shower area. There's Mimi and Pop standing in this marble space that looks about 12' square. No shower heads. When Pop showed us the pictures I commented and he said the shower heads were in the CEILING and the water came down like in a rainforest. Hmmmm. Thought about doing that but don't know if that would really make me happy, taking a shower like I was in a rainforest.

Edited by The Holy Roller

I was going to install a light and went to a lighting store to check them out. This is a mom/pop store and the guy told me that according to local code, the light had to be completely enclosed and have a gasket if was in an enclosed shower. He only had one and it was fugly.

Nice bathroom.

He's probably right about code. Just remember, Google is your friend.

http://www.pegasusassociates.com/products/...howerTrims.html

http://www.nextag.com/light-recessed-shower/search-html

When Pop showed us the pictures I commented and he said the shower heads were in the CEILING and the water came down like in a rainforest. Hmmmm. Thought about doing that but don't know if that would really make me happy, taking a shower like I was in a rainforest.

This is what I planned on doing this fall when I remodel the next bathroom, the master.

This is what I planned on doing this fall when I remodel the next bathroom, the master.

Make sure you like that type of showerhead before you go that route. I bought one of those hugh watering can type of shower heads and didn’t like it. I then bought a smaller one and liked it, and it has an adjustable arm that allows it to change height. You get some pressure, but not a blast. Something else to ponder if you're a green type of person, the rainforest showerheads use a lot more water. Another thing I’ve done to showers in my house is raise the height of the showerhead. Not sure what “standard” height is, but my house was but in the 80’s and the shower heads were about chest high.