[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New offense?

REZ

Looks like they are using a loophole in the rules in HS football that allow all 11 players on the offense to wear eligible numbers for the "scrimmage kick" formation in which they can use on any down and run offensive plays off on. Thus the defense does not know which 5 are ineligible receivers until after the play started unlike in every other offensive formation, and if this loophole was closed that play would no longer be that effective. The NFL requires every offensive to wear an eligible/ineligible number and if out of position for a play (such as Vrabel #50 as TE) inform an official beforehand so he can announce that fact to the defense. Unsure on the college rules here.

Heard about this last night on Sporting New Radio. It will work for a little while but once D-coord figure it out they will ealisy defense it. Similar to many spread offenses. If you watch the game film most of the plays are made by a very athletic QB. The Piedmont team went 0-2 then won seven in a row and then lost it's last two. I am sure a lot of high schools will look to install this offense until it is outlawed or the defensive counter is widely kown (which will be accelerated as more offenses use it.)

The Coach who designed it claims it allows smaller quicker teans to compete with larger teams as the D-line is constantly having to identify who is eligible.

Looks like they are using a loophole in the rules in HS football that allow all 11 players on the offense to wear eligible numbers for the "scrimmage kick" formation in which they can use on any down and run offensive plays off on. Thus the defense does not know which 5 are ineligible receivers until after the play started unlike in every other offensive formation, and if this loophole was closed that play would no longer be that effective. The NFL requires every offensive to wear an eligible/ineligible number and if out of position for a play (such as Vrabel #50 as TE) inform an official beforehand so he can announce that fact to the defense. Unsure on the college rules here.

This was my first thought as well.

That and the fact that it would likely work much better on the HS level where, in general, the game isn't taken as seriously so it's easier to confuse other teams. As someone who watches far more pro and college ball than HS, I have almost always found myself thinking, "I can't believe they haven't found a way to stop that play," over and over when watching some HS game where one team continues to have good success running the same gadget play over and over. The answer, of course, is quite simple. They don't have a team of guys scouring game tapes. They've got some head coach who teaches PE or history most of the day and a few volunteers with day jobs. Obviously it's not that way everywhere but that's still the facts for the vast majority of HS programs, especially in places like Northern California.