[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chamber's Bay ........ Wow!

theprofessor

I played Chambers Bay in University Place Washington for the first time today and it's got to be the toughest course I have ever played. The greens were brutally slow and I just got done playing Pumpkin Ridge in Hillsboro Oregon on Monday where the greens were about an "11" so I had a difficult time adjusting and struggled with the putter most of the day. 2 - 4 putts and 4 - 3 putts .... OUCH! I shot a 87.

This course has so many challenges and nuances ...... waste sand area, throughout, lining the fairways. The fairways are sloped to funnel the balls into the waste sand area. The greens are very difficult to read and very undulating. I am really interested to see how the course stands up to the play of the pro's. There are many risk/reward shots that carry huge risks if the shots off line just a bit. Pretty tough course to walk too as it is quite hilly and if you spend much time chasing your balls through the waste sand area it feels like you have been tredging through the soft sand beaches.

I found that if you stray off of the fairway at all it is very difficult to find a lie where you can advance your ball at all. Most of the time the best option is to hit it parallel and get it back on the short stuff. I chose to play without a caddy today but I would advise first timers to this course to spend the extra coin. This course offers incredible views of the Puget Sound and is worth the $95-$145 green fee's. I'm juiced for the US Amateur and especially the US Open to act as a showcase for this Pierce County marvel.

Edited by theprofessor

werd - awesome course- WA answer to Bandon Dunes for sure!! the greens and fairways are the worst part about the cars only bc it is so freakin young- dat is why the greens were so brutally slow, they can't do anything with em yet

by the time the US Open rolls thru the course will be outstanding

werd - awesome course- WA answer to Bandon Dunes for sure!! the greens and fairways are the worst part about the cars only bc it is so freakin young- dat is why the greens were so brutally slow, they can't do anything with em yet

by the time the US Open rolls thru the course will be outstanding

Have you played Bandon? That's on my "Bucket List" too. I found the grass on the fairways at Chambers to be pretty mature and in pretty good shape. I'm playing both courses at Sunriver for the 1st time next weekend .... have you played either of them? Would like to get some tips beforehand so I know what to expect. I'm going to be playing with some solid players so it would be nice to have a little insight on the course before teeing it up.

Have you played Bandon? That's on my "Bucket List" too. I found the grass on the fairways at Chambers to be pretty mature and in pretty good shape. I'm playing both courses at Sunriver for the 1st time next weekend .... have you played either of them? Would like to get some tips beforehand so I know what to expect. I'm going to be playing with some solid players so it would be nice to have a little insight on the course before teeing it up.

I'm sure you've played the Home course in Dupont. What do you think of that one? I haven't played Chambers Bay since I have been back, but have played the Home course twice. Its a really young course but I think it will be fantastic in a few years.

I'm looking forward to playing Chambers Bay. I'll probably get up there this fall to play it. I play Pumpkin Ridge regularly and a group of about 60 of us from PR will be heading to Bandon in January. Should be an interesting (and wet) few days of golf.

PRs greens are about as hard and fast as they'll get right now and I know they've been syringing them on the hotter afternoons. Some of the other area courses have been watered to the point of being soggy and they're getting a bit torn up. If anyone is interested in a NW huddle golf outing, I'd certainly be up for it.

Just got a new Tour Burner TP driver...I broke it in Monday at a local course, but tomorrow morning will be the first time for it at PR. Hopefully I'll fear 9 and 18 a little less.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

• 2 weeks later...

The Home Course is a good track. I shot 81 the first time I played it and then sprayed it all over for an 87 on my second turn. Has a lot of birdie opportunities if you hit it straight. I stayed at the Sunriver Resort last week for a 3 day Conference and played Woodlands and the Meadows. It was the 1st time staying at the Resort and enjoyed it very much. For those of you with Kids from 5-18 this is a fantastic place for a vacation. Golf, white water rafting, skiing, tennis, endless bicyle and running paths. Top notch service, all the activities you could ever want but a great place to just chill too. I tried to get on to play Crosswater but they are having the Jeld-Wen Classic there this week so I couldn't play it.

I would love to get together with some Huddlers to play a round or two. I'm on vacation from the 16-24 of this month and plan on playing Chambers Bay and a few of the great tracks over the Narrows like Trophy Lake, Gold Mountain and McCormick Woods. One of the courses on my "Bucket List" is Bandon Dunes. I've heard it's a great experience!

Edited by theprofessor

I played Chambers Bay in University Place Washington for the first time today and it's got to be the toughest course I have ever played. The greens were brutally slow and I just got done playing Pumpkin Ridge in Hillsboro Oregon on Monday where the greens were about an "11" so I had a difficult time adjusting and struggled with the putter most of the day. 2 - 4 putts and 4 - 3 putts .... OUCH! I shot a 87.

This course has so many challenges and nuances ...... waste sand area, throughout, lining the fairways. The fairways are sloped to funnel the balls into the waste sand area. The greens are very difficult to read and very undulating. I am really interested to see how the course stands up to the play of the pro's. There are many risk/reward shots that carry huge risks if the shots off line just a bit. Pretty tough course to walk too as it is quite hilly and if you spend much time chasing your balls through the waste sand area it feels like you have been tredging through the soft sand beaches.

I found that if you stray off of the fairway at all it is very difficult to find a lie where you can advance your ball at all. Most of the time the best option is to hit it parallel and get it back on the short stuff. I chose to play without a caddy today but I would advise first timers to this course to spend the extra coin. This course offers incredible views of the Puget Sound and is worth the $95-$145 green fee's. I'm juiced for the US Amateur and especially the US Open to act as a showcase for this Pierce County marvel.

Caught up on the most recent Golf Digests over my vacation last week. The July issue had a story on Chambers Bay. I checked at their website to link it here but could'nt find it. :wacko:

I thought the Home Course was flat-out stupid. Too many repetitions and dumb holes. Chambers is great, but compared to Bandon?? Come on now. I used to play Chambers once a month for free. The day they got the Open, I got a phone call basically saying that I was no longer welcome there anymore. Bandon is a must for anybody on the west coast. The rates aren't as terrible as you would think either. I still haven't played their newest but am looking forward to heading back in September when the rates drop a bit.

Call me crazy, but I still love Druids Glen. The layout anyways. To me that is a "fun" course. I know it is in crappy shape most of the year, but get there before September and you'll have tons of enjoyable fun. Mondays and tuesdays are now twilight rates all day, so yay!! I'm really excited to see how Chambers plays during the amateur. This should be our first glimpse of what it will be like with a little longer rough, pushed all the way to the tips, with people everywhere. Having played there so many times, I have some serious questions about where they are going to put all of those people. There are quite a few holes that just don't seem like they are going to have enough room. I'm sure they will be changed in the next six years, but still....

As for playing golf, I am always game. I have tuesdays and wednesdays off, which while it is great for playing cheap golf, I have to play most of the time as a single, and join another group. Most are good experiences but I'd love to have some people to play with during the week. I usually play Druids or West Seattle, but I'm excited to see what other local favorites you guys may have. Sounds fun!@