[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

'last lecture' man dies

dmarc117

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080725/ap_en_ot/obit_pausch

PITTSBURGH - Randy Pausch, a Carnegie Mellon University computer scientist whose "last lecture" about facing terminal cancer became an Internet sensation and a best-selling book, died Friday. He was 47.

ADVERTISEMENT

Pausch died at his home in Virginia, university spokeswoman Anne Watzman said. Pausch and his family moved there last fall to be closer to his wife's relatives.

:wacko:

I have a buddy who purchased the book and when seeing it, I asked about it. I was totally oblivious to him and his message. I'm still waiting for him to finish so I can read it. I might just have to go buy it myself now.

GReat inspiration. We need more people like him on our planet.

This is kind of embarassing to admit but........................

I have not heard of him although I have seen the picture of him and his family on the news, however I was not paying attention to what was said. The thing is I live in the same city, Chesapeake, VA as he did. Also my daughter has been a student at Carneign Mellon the past two years. :wacko:

This touched close to home. My wife just finished the book and has watched many of the specials on/with him.

It is especially close as my wife's stepfather was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that has spread and is in treatment now. This is the reason for my whirlwind trip to Ireland in September (he is from ireland, lived there until he met and married my mother in law, a truly touching story). We are having a large reception/party with well over 100 family and friends to celebrate him. he has been planning a speech for some time now. I really do not have the words to describe how wonderful of a man he is. His first wife passed away some time ago, but shortly after they were married she became wheelchair bound due to multiple sclerosis I believe. he stood by her and took care of her for close to 30 years. He met my mother in law when she was on a trip to ireland with some friends after she was divorced. She saw him sitting in the lounge of a hotel and inquired about what he was reading. This led to the malking and he said that this hotel was a place he had always wanted to go to, but because they did not have wheelchair access he had never gone there before. This led to them exchanging letters, visiting one another and, once the last of my mother in laws children were married, they get engaged and married. He never had any children of his own and he essentially has looked at all of us as his children. My children know him as Pampa (Irish term for grandfather) and he has been very involved with them (less now as the tolls of chemo are taking effect). Truly a wonderful story.

I just got done watching the lecture. I wasn't as moved by it as I wanted to be, but I did find it interesting. The most hard hitting impression is how this man who is terminally ill and less than a year away from his death is so vibrant, so healthy looking and so cheery. It's inspiring, and a little scary. It makes me want to go get a CT scan just to be sure.

Funny this thread popped up. My aunt just sent me an email stating that for every new life on this planet another life must pass. She sent me his youtube link and was correlating his death with my son's birth (same day). I am watching it now and it is very good. I have never heard of this guy before.