[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Paging Sugar Magnolia

detlef

OK, so my dogs are pretty well mannered and generally not dog-aggressive. And when I say generally, they have absolutely never attacked another dog and nor do they even stand off another dog with one very notable exception. That is, when we're driving in the car past a dog on a leash. Again, the dog must be on a leash. If we're simply driving past a dog who's behind a fence or otherwise, it's no big deal.

However, if we drive past someone walking their dog, they go freaking ballistic. Not ballistic as in, they're excited to say high, but ballistic as in, growling and barking with that deep toned aggressive bark and scratching uncontrollably at the door of the car. It's downright embarrassing especially considering that they're mellow enough dogs otherwise and certainly not the kind that need to be restrained if we're out walking with them on the trail and another comes up on us (leashed or otherwise).

Now, I'm familiar with the territorial bit about dogs and cars and understand that dogs often bark when they're in a car and someone walks past. Only, our dogs don't do that. If we have to leave them in the car at, say a parking lot or something, they're totally cool. They just sit there and watch people walk past. It's really just when we're driving with them and we come across someone walking their dog.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to curb this behavior?

Is it too hot in the car?

Never hotter than, say 150 or so. That's not a problem is it?

They say dogs reflect thier owners.

Since they are going after dogs on a leash, it must mean you have something against men on a leash. :wacko:

Solution: divorce your wife. :D

:D Well, I did see Big Ernie walk by on his way home from the men's bondage fest and didn't have much nice to say to him. I wouldn't mind if my dogs were aggressive to him but I suppose this is what one would call an intended consequence.

OK, so how can I teach my dogs to bark at a-hole dudes with leashes on but still be cool to other dogs? Sounds kind of advanced.

I would expect (as a subscriber to Cesar Milano), Get a friend with a dog to walk the dog by your parked car as you sit in the back seat with the dogs. Establish your dominance and keep them from barking as the guy walks by. No yelling, just a short sharp sound adn maybe a ninja poke on thier neck. When they stop doing it with the car parked, have the wife or someone drive it by him, and stop them there as well. You could also find a dog park or somewhere where there are a lot of dogs on leashes and practice there, AFTER the parked car thing is satisfactory.

That should work.