[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

gps

Tangent1

It's been a year since I've been on here, so bare with me as I find my way around the new site.

Question: Any one have knowledge on a GPS? I am looking at the Garmin nuvi 750, but wanted to get feedback from users first.

Any help is appreciated.

If it's already been discussed, please point me in the right direction

Thanks

Tangent

It's been a year since I've been on here, so bare with me as I find my way around the new site.

Question: Any one have knowledge on a GPS? I am looking at the Garmin nuvi 750, but wanted to get feedback from users first.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Tangent

exactly how much do you wish to know about gps?

if I were buying today I would get this one http://javad.com/jgnss/products/receivers/triumph-1.html

:wacko:

lead what?

you being serious?

:D

Polky,

I know you are big into this, but Garmin has been in the consumer GPS market longer than anyone else!

They get rave reviews on most of the geek sites and do a very good job for the $$$.

Polky,

I know you are big into this, but Garmin has been in the consumer GPS market longer than anyone else!

They get rave reviews on most of the geek sites and do a very good job for the $$$.

there really is zero difference between them and magellan, im just yanking your chain. In my world we refer to them as "toy" gps lol.

however I did get an autonomus position within 1' with my meridian gold the other day. In the south we normally get a double waas fix.

polk

just the basics

get me from point a to point b while driving. accurately.

I wont use the bluetooth features, the photos etc.

I just want good updated maps with accurate info

It doesnt matter, the more you pay the more stuff you will get. They are all waas compatible and that is all that really matters on accuracy.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Tangent

Wife bought it for me. First GPS I have owned.

No complaints. I like marking the areas I catch big fish on the rivers.

Trying to ask a surveyor an easy question about GPS will always lead to long answers. :D

I bought my parents a NUVI and they loved it, until they bought a new car with a guidance system. :wacko:

Not to hijack, but Polk, did you pass your exam?

polk

just the basics

get me from point a to point b while driving. accurately.

I wont use the bluetooth features, the photos etc.

I just want good updated maps with accurate info

I have a pocket PC phone with google maps. The last upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.1 updated the google map application so now it has GPS built into the maps. It's a bit hit and miss on picking up the GPS satellites for some reason on some days though. It's nice to pull up when driving, hit GPS and it centers where you are on the maps. And then hit "show traffic" and it's great for city driving.

Trying to ask a surveyor an easy question about GPS will always lead to long answers. :D

I bought my parents a NUVI and they loved it, until they bought a new car with a guidance system. :wacko:

Not to hijack, but Polk, did you pass your exam?

Now I am going to grad school for a master's in geodesy lol. Just think of that answer I can give next year.

You got any suggestions for a thesis topic?