[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is the most overrated rock band of all time?

millerx

:wacko:

After Moving Pictures, I can prolly count the songs I like by Rush on one hand. Their newer stuff blows.

Once Geddy Lee's balls dropped their music lost most of it's edge.

And I can't believe that we had a collective brain fart and completely missed the single greatest overhyped band in the history of rock music...

Wait for it...

Boston.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I was the originator of this thread, I guess I didn't state my topic very well and all of these posts are for not...

It should have read " 'The Who' is the most overrated rock band of all time "

:D

just kiddin'

:wacko: But The Who really do suck and are overrated!!!!!! :D

What's funny is while I agree with a lot of the bands being mentioned it still doesn't stop me from liking their music. I've always been a big fan of U2, Dave Mathews Band, Coldplay, Rolling Stones & many others mentioned. I know that most of the time their music doesn't necessarily deserve the attention it gets, but I love it regardless because I enjoy their sound. I find it a shame that some people can't enjoy a lot of the more popular mainstream bands because they have refined their tastes too much and have basically (no offense intended) become music snobs. It's like getting yourself so much into micro brews that you can't enjoy it when your buddy comes by with a case of Miller in hand.

I agree with all you wrote except for the Miller part. I tried again a few months ago and I just can't stomache the stuff.

U2's first album blows REM's first album away. October sucked. Then War just put REM where they belonged, sidestage.

I've been giving everyone here a pass on bashing the Dead because I've heard some of the most god awful stuff come out of them and then at times they can be so transcendant. Somewhere in between lies what most of you don't like about them. The not quite so anything blend of musical stylings and a fanatic following that has created/kept alive/fostered a musical sub-culture within this country.

Yep; I've given the Dead a couple tries - not my bag, but not awful.

It's just that their fans tend to be such dipsh*ts.

:wacko: But The Who really do suck and are overrated!!!!!!

Tommy is overrated, and overall pretty crappy.

Pop in Who's Next or Live at Leeds.....NOW you're talkin'.

I understand why the Beatles were so popular, the time, the world situation, the evolving "new liberalism' and free love, drugs, the 60s". But personally, I never "got it". There are very few of their songs I ever really liked and they have a large body of work to choose from. None of their songs would be in my own personal top 20. AND, I know how many albums they sold, blah, blah, blah.

I think they were more social icons as opposed to musical icons. JMHO :wacko:

Nah, the Beatles, once they expanded past their early bubble-gum type stuff, REALLY expanded the musical palate - Revolver and Rubber Soul were milestones in production and songwriting, and are just good stuff.

The PROBLEM is that many people seem to think nothing really existed BEFORE The Beatles, that there were no innovators...and that's just stupid and wrong. So in that sense, yeah, they're overrated. But by the same token, their impact on the genre (and perhaps on popular music in general) was MASSIVE.

Boston

Kansas

.38 Special

Styx

Foreigner

Journey

Steve Miller

Bob Seger

I think you really need to look up what "overrated" means. Nobody has much regard for these bands...well, except for mulletheads.

Megadeth

Wrong. Just wrong. Well, maybe a little right, since their last halfway decent album was Youthanasia (though The World Needs A Hero isn't too bad).

Edited by Chavez

The Knack (nuff said)

Hootie and the Blowfish (makes me want to blow chunks)

The Sparks (ffreaky bastages made me want to shoot the turntable)

Robin Trower (Hendrix rip off)

Dude, this list has two bands that had no legs past one album and two acts 90% of people haven't even f*cking heard of.