[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another flat screen thread

detlef

With all do respect RR, I refuse to put a TV in the bedroom. Get some good books and turn the dang boob toob off...or a hot tub is a nice feature...

:D F' you.....

:D:wacko:

"We got to move these refrigerators....we got to move these color TVs!" :D

Edited by rocknrobn26

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure if I mentioned this in another thread or anything...but pretty soon you'll be seeing 32" flat screen LCD's for 299....name brand ones at that...

imagine what the 40" TV's will be...

I'd hold off for another month I'd say on making a big screen purchase...

edit: this is due to the condition the economy is in...FYI..

Edited by Avernus

not sure if I mentioned this in another thread or anything...but pretty soon you'll be seeing 32" flat screen LCD's for 299....name brand ones at that...

No kiddin? Where did you hear that?

This is very interesting as I just bought a 46 in. Sammy on Monday. I wonder if I should take it back and wait a month? :wacko:

How sure are you on this?

Like the others. Where is this info coming from? We all know the economy is suffering but so far I'm not looking to slash prices in half (and neither are my vendors for that matter).

Like the others. Where is this info coming from? We all know the economy is suffering but so far I'm not looking to slash prices in half (and neither are my vendors for that matter).

Big ticket items may fall under a different strategy to move inventory than a restaurant. I dunno though. Hope it's true.

Big ticket items may fall under a different strategy to move inventory than a restaurant. I dunno though. Hope it's true.

I'm sure this is correct and there's a ton of reasons why. I suppose I was just saying that I'm not seeing retail prices trending down at all. In fact, what I am reading about is the fact that retail prices are not going down despite the fact that things like fuel are. Perhaps I'm somewhat insulated from this whole mess because the area I live in is so far doing fine. My restaurant, for instance is actually barely up over last October (though admitedly trending behind the amount we're up for the year to date).

moneymakers mentioned that Target was dumping Olevias but if they are, they're not doing it around here. There was absolutely no evidence of this when I went there.

So, I'm simply curious if this is just speculation on his part (and if he's positioned to mean that's worth more than the average guy saying so) or if it's speculation on the part of someone who should know. The set I'm looking for at costco is on sale for $720 down from $800. If there's a really good reason to think that it's going to be $600 next month, then I'll wait. Otherwise, I'd just as soon as save the $80 and grab it before this weekend.

I'm sure this is correct and there's a ton of reasons why. I suppose I was just saying that I'm not seeing retail prices trending down at all. In fact, what I am reading about is the fact that retail prices are not going down despite the fact that things like fuel are. Perhaps I'm somewhat insulated from this whole mess because the area I live in is so far doing fine. My restaurant, for instance is actually barely up over last October (though admitedly trending behind the amount we're up for the year to date).

moneymakers mentioned that Target was dumping Olevias but if they are, they're not doing it around here. There was absolutely no evidence of this when I went there.

So, I'm simply curious if this is just speculation on his part (and if he's positioned to mean that's worth more than the average guy saying so) or if it's speculation on the part of someone who should know. The set I'm looking for at costco is on sale for $720 down from $800. If there's a really good reason to think that it's going to be $600 next month, then I'll wait. Otherwise, I'd just as soon as save the $80 and grab it before this weekend.

Was at Target yesterday. 42" Olevia are marked 949.00

asked lady to scan with her magic wand. Came up 649.00 She was stunned.

Thats a really good deal. She said. I asked her if I could get percentage off for it was her last one. walkie talkie to back.

Yes its the last one but it is in a box and we already sold the floor model. I can only take off 10%. :wacko:

3 year warranty thru target is 50 bucks.

found out about deal in this thread @slickdeal.net

Olevia 2 Series 1080p 42" LCD TV Clearance Target $645 or $581 YMMV

fyi

I bought an older model of this same TV and mircocenter 2 years ago at a black Friday sale for 799.00

still works great. This model has 2 hdmi and the one I got two years ago only had one.

Edited by moneymakers

Thats a really good deal. She said. I asked her if I could get percentage off for it was her last one. walkie talkie to back.

Yes its the last one but it is in a box and we already sold the floor model. I can only take off 10%. :wacko:

fyi

I bought an older model of this same TV and mircocenter 2 years ago at a black Friday sale for 799.00

still works great. This model has 2 hdmi and the one I got two years ago only had one.

Wow, very interesting.

I could see that. Wait for the Christmas shopping season to play out, then drop the prices.

exactly....or even maybe draw in more customers for the holiday shopping...

either way they make out with post-christmas shopping when people get tax returns, or when the shopping is at it's peak....

as I said...either way I see a win-win for stores...

fyi

Must very by store. I happened by Target this afternoon and thought I'd check it out. No 42" in stock but they had a 37" for $699. I asked the guy to check the price on it. Same price. Not really all that great a deal at all considering that it wasn't even 1080 resolution.

Must very by store. I happened by Target this afternoon and thought I'd check it out. No 42" in stock but they had a 37" for $699. I asked the guy to check the price on it. Same price. Not really all that great a deal at all considering that it wasn't even 1080 resolution.

they probably had more in stock..

awesome... was recently thinking about moving my 40" to the bedroom and getting a new one for the family room. the 40 was too big for the bedroom, and mrs doesn't want it in our main living room.... so a 32" or less would be golden!

Good timing on this thread. We're getting close to finishing our basement family room and we'll be upgrading the family TV. :wacko: The project is looking like it will come in under budget, so we might have money left for an LCD in the bedroom too. :D:D

Not positive, but am thinking Sony Bravia. Every time I've shopped for LCDs, the Bravia picture seems to stand out to me.

Good timing on this thread. We're getting close to finishing our basement family room and we'll be upgrading the family TV. :D The project is looking like it will come in under budget, so we might have money left for an LCD in the bedroom too. :D:D

Not positive, but am thinking Sony Bravia. Every time I've shopped for LCDs, the Bravia picture seems to stand out to me.

What size and what distance?

Still tryin' to figger if 32" @ 11' will be OK,and if 37" is really that much better??? :wacko::D

$$$ is not the problem, SIZE is, as a 40" will overwhelm the room and I will have to take major crap from my beautiful wife...a situation I try to ALWAYS avoid at all costs!

Let me know what you're considering, Jimmy...and anyone else for that matter.

Edit for:

I am hung up on the Sammys! Great reviews across the board and my 40" in thye family room is gold.

Edited by rocknrobn26

Still tryin' to figger if 32" @ 11' will be OK,and if 37" is really that much better??? :wacko::D

$$$ is not the problem, SIZE is, as a 40" will overwhelm the room and I will have to take major crap from my beautiful wife...a situation I try to ALWAYS avoid at all costs!

Edit for:

I am hung up on the Sammys! Great reviews across the board and my 40" in thye family room is gold.

The BR is about 12' from pillow to wall. Family room is maybe 8-15' viewing distances - it's a small room. I'm thinking 32" in the BR and 40-42" for the family room.

We're not too worried about the TV dominating the bedroom - we have large mahogany furniture pieces in there that dominate and anchor each wall.

The FR is just empty space and we can go with about any size, I think. It's a daylight basement and therefore has a half wall up to a height of 36". We plan on mounting the LCD on the wall. Can we really go too big here?

they probably had more in stock..

Well, I'm not about to go back every day for the next few weeks hoping to grab the last one for a few $100 off.

So, the current clubhouse leader, btw, is the Panasonic 42" plasma that's on sale at costco for $699 after instant $100 rebate. It's only 720 resolution but I'll be damned if it didn't look a whole lot clearer than the Vizio 37" that was 1080. Both running the exact same show. I was fortunate that I found a salesman there who really knew what he was talking about (something that I wouldn't expect from a big box store like that). Thing is, like RR, our biggest concern was the degree to which it might overwhelm the rather small room it was going in but the external dimensions are exactly 2 inches taller and about 2 inches wider than our current 32" tube set so that's not really an issue.

Edit for:

RR, the trend for most people is that they wish they bought bigger. Trend. The wife approval factor trumps all however.

A 32" HDTV is about the same surface area as a 30" standard tube TV due to wider width even if the height is shorter (16:9 HDTV length and width ratio vs. 4:3 standard). So, the total surface area is larger than a 27". However, unless you use the HDTV settings to stretch standard programming, the HDTV will have bars on the sides. The picture surface area for standard def under that condition is slightly less than a 27". I think most people prefer to stretch the standard def pictures to avoid the bars, but that's just personal preference. But you're buying an HDTV for the high def programming, and standard def stuff is being phased out.

A 37" HDTV has about 33% more surface area than a 32" HDTV. That makes sense if you recall your basic geometry lessons where seemingly small increases in length and width can create large differences in surface area. The unstretched standard def picture is about the same as a 30" standard tube. So, I would recommend the 37", but you don't have to live with me. :D

You might find this CNET link helpful too.

Well, I'm not about to go back every day for the next few weeks hoping to grab the last one for a few $100 off.

So, the current clubhouse leader, btw, is the Panasonic 42" plasma that's on sale at costco for $699 after instant $100 rebate.

Detlef,

Thats a sick deal. The panny plasmas are wonderful tvs. I bought the 1080 at costco a few week backs. The standard def was good, but the HD justs blows me away. I had a built in cabinet which had clearance of only 40.5 inches. The model I purchased was 40.3 inches in width. I could not find any other 42" plasmas which had width of under 41".

The sucker barely squeezed in. It now looks like we built the cabinet for the tv.

So, the current clubhouse leader, btw, is the Panasonic 42" plasma that's on sale at costco for $699 after instant $100 rebate. It's only 720 resolution but I'll be damned if it didn't look a whole lot clearer than the Vizio 37" that was 1080. Both running the exact same show. I was fortunate that I found a salesman there who really knew what he was talking about (something that I wouldn't expect from a big box store like that). Thing is, like RR, our biggest concern was the degree to which it might overwhelm the rather small room it was going in but the external dimensions are exactly 2 inches taller and about 2 inches wider than our current 32" tube set so that's not really an issue.

solid choice that is a great buy- Panny makes great panels whether they are 720 or 1080.

I am a plasma guy, I prefer the richer colors and darker blacks over the sharpness of LCD - just my personal preference

even tho Vizio's may be solid- brand means alot. a Panny Plasma vs Vizio LCD? I am goin with the Panny every time

Detlef,

Thats a sick deal. The panny plasmas are wonderful tvs. I bought the 1080 at costco a few week backs. The standard def was good, but the HD justs blows me away. I had a built in cabinet which had clearance of only 40.5 inches. The model I purchased was 40.3 inches in width. I could not find any other 42" plasmas which had width of under 41".

The sucker barely squeezed in. It now looks like we built the cabinet for the tv.

solid choice that is a great buy- Panny makes great panels whether they are 720 or 1080.

I am a plasma guy, I prefer the richer colors and darker blacks over the sharpness of LCD - just my personal preference

even tho Vizio's may be solid- brand means alot. a Panny Plasma vs Vizio LCD? I am goin with the Panny every time

Thanks for the reassurance guys.