[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another flat screen thread

detlef

solid choice that is a great buy- Panny makes great panels whether they are 720 or 1080.

I am a plasma guy, I prefer the richer colors and darker blacks over the sharpness of LCD - just my personal preference

even tho Vizio's may be solid- brand means alot. a Panny Plasma vs Vizio LCD? I am goin with the Panny every time

Agreed.

I went plasma as well. In addition to the color, I believe the plasma handles fast motion(ie sports, action movies) a little better than an LCD. Chose a Pioneer over a Panasonic but it was very close. I am happy with the Pioneer and I am sure I would have been with the Panny as well...

Anyways, with regard to the 720 vs 1080, the way it was explained to me a little over a year ago was the only way to achieve true 1080p is to run HDMI cables and use a Blu Ray or HD DVD player. I could certainly be wrong on that(someone please correct me if so) but that is something to consider when looking at price. If you're not planning on going with Blu Ray or HD DVD and/or not planning on running HDMI cables, you may save yourself some money choosing 720 over 1080 as you may not be able to tell the difference. Of course, there are those that will tell you you cant go wrong getting the latest and greatest technology(1080p) and I cant say that they are wrong in their thinking. You'll have to decide what all you'll be watching and how much you want to spend.

I guess the last thing I'll say is keep in mind how much natural light you will have in the room. Glare can be a problem with plasmas although they are adding more anti-reflective technology to the newer models. Glare is not a problem for an LCD so that is something to consider. And if you can hold off another month, you may be able to score a sweeter deal in the after Thanksgiving sales.

Good luck!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50" Plasma here RR. It's sweet.

Dam....I'd put a 62" in the bedroom if I didn't have a wife! :TOOL TIME ARRgggg!:

:slap:

RR, the trend for most people is that they wish they bought bigger. Trend. The wife approval factor trumps all however.

A 32" HDTV is about the same surface area as a 30" standard tube TV due to wider width even if the height is shorter (16:9 HDTV length and width ratio vs. 4:3 standard). So, the total surface area is larger than a 27". However, unless you use the HDTV settings to stretch standard programming, the HDTV will have bars on the sides. The picture surface area for standard def under that condition is slightly less than a 27". I think most people prefer to stretch the standard def pictures to avoid the bars, but that's just personal preference. But you're buying an HDTV for the high def programming, and standard def stuff is being phased out.

A 37" HDTV has about 33% more surface area than a 32" HDTV. That makes sense if you recall your basic geometry lessons where seemingly small increases in length and width can create large differences in surface area. The unstretched standard def picture is about the same as a 30" standard tube. So, I would recommend the 37", but you don't have to live with me. :guns:

You might find this CNET link helpful too.

Good stuff, doggy! :D

Got the wife convinced that a 37" will fit :D:D ......DAM I hope it does. :D:wacko: Gonna get on AutoCad to prove it. YES....I have my whole house blueprinted! :D

It all comes down to the stands. Saw one at CC and two at Tweeter. Gotta go back to AutoCad and my blueprints and see which one fits best.

Thank you all for the info. :smash: Apologize for not thanking yall individually. Where else can you get this info? Gotta love this place.

My final decisions will come later, but right now....Sammy 450, which is 780, or the 550 which is $150 more... :D

Again thanks! :pokey:

Dayum!!!!! Was getting ready to plunk down the cash at CC today, and the price went up $200 today!!! F' CC....goin' back to Tweeter!

Edited by rocknrobn26

This $800 Samsung 40" LCD 1080P from Sears looks good.

# Advanced Picture Technology - With a 30,000:1 Contrast Ratio and 500nit Brightness Level, Samsung's LCD TVs provide surprisingly stunning, ultra-realistic picture quality.

# Better Color Than Ever Before - The TV's CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) backlight provides colors in your picture that were not available before, and the Wide Color Enhancer optimizes a color's hue, resulting in more natural colors.

# Fast Response - The fast 5ms Response Time minimizes blurring of moving video, resulting in an unbelievably sharp picture.

# Powerful Audio - A powerful 10W-per-channel built-in amplifier drives the integrated stereo speakers, complemented with SRS TruSurround XT™ technology.

# SRS TruSurround XT™ - TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through the two-speaker internal playback system.

# Built-In HDTV Tuner (ATSC) with Clear QAM - You'll have no problem accessing your favorite HD channels with the integrated tuner.

# Inputs - HDMI™ (3), Component (2), Composite (2), S-Video, PC Input

Outputs - Headphone Jack

Edited by Randall

# Advanced Picture Technology - With a 30,000:1 Contrast Ratio and 500nit Brightness Level, Samsung's LCD TVs provide surprisingly stunning, ultra-realistic picture quality.

# Better Color Than Ever Before - The TV's CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) backlight provides colors in your picture that were not available before, and the Wide Color Enhancer optimizes a color's hue, resulting in more natural colors.

# Fast Response - The fast 5ms Response Time minimizes blurring of moving video, resulting in an unbelievably sharp picture.

# Powerful Audio - A powerful 10W-per-channel built-in amplifier drives the integrated stereo speakers, complemented with SRS TruSurround XT™ technology.

# SRS TruSurround XT™ - TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through the two-speaker internal playback system.

# Built-In HDTV Tuner (ATSC) with Clear QAM - You'll have no problem accessing your favorite HD channels with the integrated tuner.

Outputs - Headphone Jack

Check you PMs.

Please tell me about the refresh rate - what should I be looking for to enjoy fluid fast paced sports? Is 120Hz sufficient?

If it's not, we're all screwed because that's the best you can get, at least in LCDs. Most older and a lot of newer LCDs are 60Hz, which purists claim makes fast moving action seem blurry. There are also those who argue that 60Hz is fine. I would imagine it comes down to how picky you are but, yes, 120 is absolutely "sufficient".

If it's not, we're all screwed because that's the best you can get, at least in LCDs. Most older and a lot of newer LCDs are 60Hz, which purists claim makes fast moving action seem blurry. There are also those who argue that 60Hz is fine. I would imagine it comes down to how picky you are but, yes, 120 is absolutely "sufficient".

Good to know. I know I've seem some pretty fuzzy football games on some TVs in stores. The TVs I'm looking at now have the 120Hz rating, so I hope I'm covered.

Good to know. I know I've seem some pretty fuzzy football games on some TVs in stores. The TVs I'm looking at now have the 120Hz rating, so I hope I'm covered.

My guess is that you were looking at HDTVs that didn't have an HD signal. I know, for instance at Circuit City that many of the TVs were just hooked up to standard cable (not sure why because that seems sort of stupid not to have the picture look as good as it can).

I bought a 46" Sammy two weeks ago. This thing rocks!

I did get mine with the 120Hz that you can turn on and off. They had models side by side in the store, one at 60 and one with 120 and I thought the 120 looked much better. But at home, when I turn the 120Hz on and off, to be honest I can't tell the difference. :wacko:

Edited by BillyBalata

Ok....I just sealed the deal w/ Tweeter. I got this bad boy> Sammy 550...

Yeah...overkill, but the deal breaker was a stand for $98 compared to the $275+ ones I was looking at, at BB, CC, etc.. Plus I got the TV for $999. CC and BB were $200+ that. Google the price I got....It is very competitive.

Bottom line was the price diff paid for a higher end TV, vs a lower end TV w/ a more expensive stand! I can always get a different stand!:wacko: No brainer.

I'm happy! :D

Ok....I just sealed the deal w/ Tweeter. I got this bad boy> Sammy 550...

Yeah...overkill, but the deal breaker was a stand for $98 compared to the $275+ ones I was looking at, at BB, CC, etc.. Plus I got the TV for $999. CC and BB were $200+ that. Google the price I got....It is very competitive.

Bottom line was the price diff paid for a higher end TV, vs a lower end TV w/ a more expensive stand! I can always get a different stand!:wacko: No brainer.

I'm happy! :D

Nice, RR! Hoping to get something similar for our BR if I can manage the basement project to completion under budget.

Outputs - Headphone Jack

I'm a personal fan of this set right here....and of course it pales in comparison to their "Touch of Color" models, but those TV's are amazing...

the HDTV mentioned above is well worth the money and it's value is unrivaled imo at this point in time....and if you get one of those stands that has the option to mount your TV onto it, it looks like you spent well over 2k on the setup when you probably went less than 1500 with or without the warranty

Nice, RR! Hoping to get something similar for our BR if I can manage the basement project to completion under budget.

Good luck the BR TV, Jimmy! :wacko:

And good luck w/ the "basement project". :D

I'm a personal fan of this set right here....and of course it pales in comparison to their "Touch of Color" models, but those TV's are amazing...

the HDTV mentioned above is well worth the money and it's value is unrivaled imo at this point in time....and if you get one of those stands that has the option to mount your TV onto it, it looks like you spent well over 2k on the setup when you probably went less than 1500 with or without the warranty

Ordered one and they'll ship it to the local Sears for free.

Nearest large town has only 8000 people so there isn't much to choose from up here but Walmart. This one has a better contrast ratio than any Sammy's they have there. Seems to be either discontinued or a set made for Sears as it isn't current on the Sammy website but owners manual is there.

Ordered one and they'll ship it to the local Sears for free.

Nearest large town has only 8000 people so there isn't much to choose from up here but Walmart. This one has a better contrast ratio than any Sammy's they have there. Seems to be either discontinued or a set made for Sears as it isn't current on the Sammy website but owners manual is there.

that's crazy...at least it's made available...

you definitely got yourself a very decent set at a very reasonable price..

that's crazy...at least it's made available...

you definitely got yourself a very decent set at a very reasonable price..

Wassila has more than we do. :wacko: AT&T just started here. None of the big national cell phone companies are here yet but Atttel(if they are even national). :D

• 2 weeks later...

What is the recommendation on a surge protection device for this type of television and its components? The display at Best Buy has a huge monster surge protector that looked expensive and seems like overkill. But I can see the value in having something like that. What do you guys think?

What is the recommendation on a surge protection device for this type of television and its components? The display at Best Buy has a huge monster surge protector that looked expensive and seems like overkill. But I can see the value in having something like that. What do you guys think?

We bought our last TV because the one we had before got fried by a surge related to an electrical storm. That was enough for me. Another $50 to be sure that doesn't happen again didn't seem like too much to pay. The one we have even has a spot where the cable feed goes into because apparently you can get fried that way as well.

So there's one first hand story for you.

In Cali we almost never had electrical storms so I might have always thought it wasn't worth doing. Here in NC, we have dozens per year.

Forgive me, I did a search, but unlike those around here who can actually manage to find threads by doing so, I could not.

We're looking for about 37 inches and obviously want something nice enough but not crazy expensive. I don't play video games if that matters.

I've done some research and one of the important elements that was brought up was refresh rate and that we wanted something with 120Hz. In terms of resolution, they all seem to be about the same. Anything else I need to keep in mind?

However, I've been seeing it listed as response time in most model specs with numbers totally different, like 5 or 6.5ms. Curious if anyone knows how these correlate.

I like to buy most things like this at costco because they have such a killer return policy and have heard good things about Vizio (which they carry). Anyone have a thought on this brand? Compared to, say, Olevia?

TIA

You want a decent refresh rate or response time if you watch sports or action movies. Same as a computer, if there is rapid movement on the screen you want the video processor to be able to keep up.

I would recommend an LCD for the 30-50 (maybe 60) inch size screen you are looking at because it will be lighter, and a lot cheaper than a comparable plasma. UNLESS, you are looking for a screen to dedicate to movie watching, then I would go with a plasma because the blacks are still better than an LCD, and a bigger screen.

Most LCD screens are made by 2 or 3 companies in Japan and Korea, the difference you will pay for is the electronics behind them. Samsung and Phillips are always a good choice, as they make their own screens. Sony and Pioneer typically have the best electronics. The cheaper brands usually sublet their electronics, so it can be hit or miss. I would recommend looking at the TVs you are considering and messing with the controls at the store to turn down the contrast, etc. to normal levels before buying.

For 1st hand experience, I have an older Sony plasma, but a friend just bought a Sony 120 Hz LCD, wow.

Amazon.com has had the best deals that I've seen on surge protectors...

For wall mounted flat screens, what do you guys do to hide all of the exposed wires (power, cable, components, etc.)? Do you run the wiring through your walls (if so how hard is this to do) or do you cover them up with something, or just leave them exposed?