[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Music Ideas Thread

detlef

I know you said nothing pre 1950s but I gotta recommend Jimmie Noone - he's got some amazing stuff from the 30s, right now I'm on a clarinet kick and he's my favorite. I also have to add Django Reinhardt- perfect dinner music if you ask me. Since most of Django's early stuff is an all string quintet, I think the lack of recording technology is ok since bass is not a prominent instrument in the band.

I will also emphasize Azz's selection of Grant Green but I'll go a step further and recommend his live album titled 'Live at Club Mozambique' - great album. You got some good stuff going now, I think you should give these 3 guys a shot and you'll like what you hear.

Oh yeah, going with something more modern - what about Soulive?

I know you said nothing pre 1950s but I gotta recommend Jimmie Noone - he's got some amazing stuff from the 30s, right now I'm on a clarinet kick and he's my favorite. I also have to add Django Reinhardt- perfect dinner music if you ask me. Since most of Django's early stuff is an all string quintet, I think the lack of recording technology is ok since bass is not a prominent instrument in the band.

I will also emphasize Azz's selection of Grant Green but I'll go a step further and recommend his live album titled 'Live at Club Mozambique' - great album. You got some good stuff going now, I think you should give these 3 guys a shot and you'll like what you hear.

Oh yeah, going with something more modern - what about Soulive?

Django is actually why is say, "pretty much avoid pre-50s" rather than "nothing pre-50s". 'Cause you gotta leave room for guys like that. Nice call. Speaking of Django, have you ever checked out Bireli Lagrene. He came on the scene in the early 80s as some 15 year old Django scholar. Aside from his regrettable power jazz phase in the late 80s, he put out some pretty cool stuff.

Funny, in working through all the suggestions (which I'm not done yet), Grant Green was one I hadn't gotten to. Looks like he needs to be bumped to the top of the list.

OK, every now and then, you're so fired up about being turned on to something that you're nearly pissed off that you've gone 40 years and 3 days before you found it.

That happened 5 minutes ago when I checked out Grant Green.

OK, every now and then, you're so fired up about being turned on to something that you're nearly pissed off that you've gone 40 years and 3 days before you found it.

That happened 5 minutes ago when I checked out Grant Green.

If there's one thing I can confidently say about myself - it's that I have excellent taste in music and food. Oh, and I'm also a genius, and I'm good in the sack, and I'm good at FF.... Ok, so I'm pretty much confident about everything :wacko:

Seriously though, did you check out the album I mentioned or did you listen to something else? That album will grow on you. At first your favorite song will be Farid, then Jan Jan and then before you know it, the one song that was just so so at first (One More Chance) will change your life - well, kinda. Anyways, glad you enjoyed.

You should check out Soulive too if you haven't done so yet - they're kinda like the modernized version of Grant Green IMO. I really dig the song 'Joe Sample' (which happens to be the name of the pianist for another favorite band of mine - The Crusaders - which incidently, I should also take the time now to recommend The Crusaders. Listen to their song 'Sprial', especially the piano solo by Joe Sample).

Comparing Soulive to Grant Green would likely have Green spinning in his grave (and I like some of their stuff btw).

Anyway nothing was mentioned about what instrument(s) are actually played here, any singing etc. Failing that, some suggestions I would offer as nice easy-going dinner music are various cuts by:

Joe Sample and/or Crusaders

Pat Methany

Jeff Lorber

Chuck Leavell (aka front man for the group Sea Level, who also have a song or 3 that would work, eg "54" or "Song for Amy")

Basia

Steely Dan and/or Donald Fagan (mostly the "Nightfly" album)

OK, I just remembered my favorite grant green stuff.....a pair of albums -- one under green's name, one under larry young's -- with grant on guitar, larry young on organ and elvin jones on drums. the one with young leading has sam rivers on tenor as well. oh my. elvin jones just makes anything sound better.

Comparing Soulive to Grant Green would likely have Green spinning in his grave (and I like some of their stuff btw).

Anyway nothing was mentioned about what instrument(s) are actually played here, any singing etc. Failing that, some suggestions I would offer as nice easy-going dinner music are various cuts by:

Joe Sample and/or Crusaders

Pat Methany

Jeff Lorber

Chuck Leavell (aka front man for the group Sea Level, who also have a song or 3 that would work, eg "54" or "Song for Amy")

Basia

Steely Dan and/or Donald Fagan (mostly the "Nightfly" album)

For the record, I never compared, I said they're are kind of a modernized version. I don't listen to a lot of Soulive so my comment was a very broad genaralization.