[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Music Ideas Thread

detlef

Putting together some new mixes for the dining room at work and would love some hook-ups on people I may not be hip to (or have forgotten)

I play a pretty eclectic batch ranging from classic jazz, vocal jazz, bossa nova, downbeat, trip-hop, old soul, even throw in some mellower tracks from rock bands. In terms of genres, there's not a whole lot that I won't try. Of course, within many, I have to pick my spots.

To save you the trouble of mentioning artists that I'm already using, here's a somewhat comprehensive list:

(forgive the spelling as I'm pulling these out of my head and can't spell for crap)

Bill Evans

Miles

Cal Tjader

Sonny Rollins

Shirley Horn

Eliane Elias

Hank Mobley

Julie London

Vince Guaraldi

Nina Simone

Shelly Manne

Zero 7

Tommy Guerrero

Zoot Sims

Nicola Conte

Stan Getz/Gilberto-that whole vibe

Shuggie Otis

Kid Loco

Nightmares on Wax

Fly

Theivery

Budos Band

I'm sure I'm leaving off a ton but this should give you some ideas...

There's a cool Jujube T-shirt for whomever gives me the most non-redundant suggestions that work (which is admittedly completely subjective but will be fair).

I forgot to add:

Bill Withers

OV Wright

Al Green

Jobim

Aretha

Beck

Bobby Timmons

Bobby Womack

Dave Brubeck

Carmen McRae

Charles Wright

Cyrus Chestnut

The Dining Rooms

Grover Washington

Herbie Hancock

Coltrane

Monk

Jon Hendricks

Jutta Hipp

Lou Donaldson

Marc Ribot

Marvin Gaye

Just to take care of a few more...

Oh, and the Mose Allison call is perfect. That's one I've certainly forgotten about and need to get back into. I can't check out anything else right now because I'm streaming off my computer into the dining room right now.

first few ideas....

bill frisell, for a contemporary, eclectic electric guitar vibe. or you could go slightly more old school cool, with some guys like wes montgomery, grant green, pat martino.

you dig the bossa stuff...gotta have "tom & elis" by jobim and elis regina if you don't already

the john coltrane with johnny hartman album, and/or any collection of coltrane ballads

the art tatum with ben webster "group masterpieces" cd

a couple years ago I put together about 4 hours of what I considered my best dinner type music for our wedding reception (a small dinner thing with no dancing). a fair amount of it was classical, but a lot was up this alley as well. I'm happy to throw the mp3s on a cd for you to see if there are any particular suggestions there that strike your fancy.

first few ideas....

bill frisell, for a contemporary, eclectic electric guitar vibe. or you could go slightly more old school cool, with some guys like wes montgomery, grant green, pat martino.

you dig the bossa stuff...gotta have "tom & elis" by jobim and elis regina if you don't already

the john coltrane with johnny hartman album, and/or any collection of coltrane ballads

the art tatum with ben webster "group masterpieces" cd

a couple years ago I put together about 4 hours of what I considered my best dinner type music for our wedding reception (a small dinner thing with no dancing). a fair amount of it was classical, but a lot was up this alley as well. I'm happy to throw the mp3s on a cd for you to see if there are any particular suggestions there that strike your fancy.

For starters, I've got the Hartman/Coltrane album and it's nails. I'll certainly check out Tom and Elis as I dig both of them a lot.

I'll have to check out the guitar guys later on and Art Tatum is a fine, fine call.

As for the mp3s, I'd be a fool to turn down the offer. I'll pm you with my info.

Thanks.

I demand that you check out Madeleine Peyroux ASAP.

I almost mentioned her in my first post. some of her stuff I don't love...just seems too much like she's trying to sound like billie holiday one minute, trying to capitalize on the whole norah jones phenomenon the next. but some of her stuff is really great. heard a cover of a dylan tune the other day that was simply phenomenal.

I demand that you check out Madeleine Peyroux ASAP.

Sorry, there's another that's already in the mix.

As to Azz's comments. I hear you but one thing I don't really mind about it, especially for my needs is that she does a damned good Billie and the production is so much better so it sounds a whole lot better in the dining room than the real thing which can be grainy or otherwise poor quality and often live (so you have applause which can be tough if you're not listening to the whole album since it cuts off).

So, with Peyroux, you get Billie (sort of obviously, don't get me wrong) recorded with modern equipment.

Edited by detlef

Kind of a Jazz/Swing/Hipster Doofus mix to chill with....

Diana Krall

Chris Botti

Renee Olstead

Dr John (check out AfterGlow and In a Sentimental Mood CDs)

Eva Cassidy

Lyle Lovett

Tony Bennett

Ray Charles

Boz Scaggs

Duffy

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

For the most part, I pretty much avoid most pre-1950s (Billie excepted). Also, big band isn't exactly my thing.

:skylive: :wacko: :skylive

LOL If he wants to eliminate some great stuff...hey... it's his restaurant not mine. :D

well one big issue there is recording technology. with pre-50s stuff, you're dealing with mono with hardly any bass, recorded to 78s so you're limited to like 3 minutes per track/side. still adequate to hear what was going on, but somewhat challenging to listen to. not really condusive to setting a nice relaxing ambiance.

Sarah Vaughan - she's a goddess

Morphine - vaguely jazzy, but laid-back and smooth. And good. I actually just put that on to put my daughter to sleep.

Massive Attack, Portishead - that trip-hop kinda stuff you mentioned

Jeff Buckley - phenomenal voice, doing a modern Edith Piaf sorta thing