[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I got my first 2 window estimates in...

Duchess Jack

Needs:

15 double hung replacement windows w/ 1 picture window and 2 doors. As well as the in-door and outdoor esthetics. I was limited with my options because association rules say the outside of my windows need to be brown.

Sequel Aluminum Clad Wooden Replacement Windows (and 2 doors)

U Factor .35

SHGC .30

Vis. Transmittance .51

Approx $15,000

Kas-Kel Vinyl Replacement Windows (and 2 doors.)

U Factor .35

SHGC .54

Vis. Transmittance .56

Approx $9,000

Both are Low-E with Argon.

For those tacos I'd go with the Vinyl....

nothin wrong with Vinyl, I was puttin them in my New Home Construction the last 4 years....For one thing I was sick of payin too much for wood and then the hassle of stainin and Polyin those cough sufferers to boot.

People started liking the clean sheetrock return look

ALL windows sweat....the wood ones start to mildew overtime and warp in the temp changes and become hard to lock.....

I would lay tile for the window sill .......that works great and is a super nice look

Get a Price on muttons (window grills) for the windows......that is a look worth payin for and looks awesome in DJ/nuke windows (Double Hungs) :D

:wacko:

When I was looking earlier this year, I found this window website helpful on specs.

I linked the page that discusses SHGC (solar heat gain).

Also check out the window selection tool. It can give you an idea of heating/cooling costs per year with the different windows. Window selection can depend on where you live - trying to prevent solar heat gain (low SHGC) in the south vs. soaking it up in the north (high SHGC).

Wht do you mean by the outdoor esthetics? Are they just caulking ot they metal wrapping the window.

Personally, I would go with vinyl. Get estimates from General Contractors rather than Window Companies. I think you would get a much better price. Hopefully you know a couple or someone can recommend someone.

thanks for your thoughts everyone. I cannot see the Wench and I staying in this house after the wee one goes to college, so I we're considering the vinyl.

and Joe... esthetics = just what you said. patch work from the windows that are removed and whatnot.

It's a high bid ,way high.

Check the costs;

15 double hungs-3K- Kaskell low E - up to 101 united inches ( length + width)

Picture -350

Doors- 300 $ to the moon each, depending what you like. Did a fiberglass door with fancy sidelights that cost 1800.

This is my trade , don't get hosed.

Average labor cost in our area

100 per window =1600

300 per door =600

esthetics=500

Capitalism rocks.

Edited by Front Row

thanks for your thoughts everyone. I cannot see the Wench and I staying in this house after the wee one goes to college, so I we're considering the vinyl.

and Joe... esthetics = just what you said. patch work from the windows that are removed and whatnot.

you need to find out exactly what they are talking about. There is a HUGH difference between completely metal wrapping the and "patch" work. Usually on replacements windows all that is needed is caulking. However, some decide to metal wrap arond the windows at this time.

And I do agree that the prices are high.

Just want to add. That if you are somewhat handy you will be shocked at how easy it is to replace your windows. You could save thousands. You don't have a carpenter buddy?

Edited by Footballjoe