[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

kosher question

detlef

I'm putting together a kosher menu for a customer and can't reach them right now.

I know that beef and dairy is out. Is chicken and dairy as well? Based on the rationale of not cooking babies in their mother's milk bit it wouldn't seem I'd be fine but you never know.

I'm putting together a kosher menu for a customer and can't reach them right now.

I know that beef and dairy is out. Is chicken and dairy as well? Based on the rationale of not cooking babies in their mother's milk bit it wouldn't seem I'd be fine but you never know.

Beef shouldn't be out unless they specified such. You should be able to find a Kosher Butcher in your area and see what they have to offer, they will be able to give the best advice.

Kosher means different things to different people. To a hardcore Hassid, any food prepared in a non-kosher kitchen is a no-go, so you're kinda screwed unless you have a rabbi come in and supervise you sterilizing your kitchen under his supervision. If they're not crazy like that, then chicken and milk on the same plate should be fine.

They're apparently fine with the whole blessed kitchen deal. I made it abundantly clear that if they were hardcore in that regard, I would not be able to help them.

FWIW, I got a hold of the client. Chicken and dairy will not fly with them.

FWIW, I got a hold of the client. Chicken and dairy will not fly with them.

:wacko:

I suggest serving kasha varnishkas, potato pancakes, a few pieces of matzo, and let 'em wash it down with Manishevitz. Give 'em what they deserve.

:D PEOPLE OF THE WORLD: GOD DOESN'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS IF YOU PUT MEAT AND MILK ON THE SAME PLATE.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

Kosher pan-asian? :wacko:

That's the funny thing. Our menu is a study in pork and shrimp.

FWIW, here's the deal. There's a series of Jewish lectures going on at UNC and we're right at the base of campus. The guy who's in charge of putting them on is a big fan of the restaurant so he figured they'd hold the dinners that preceded the dinners here. Apparently, nobody is hardcore but he just wanted to avoid any obviously non-kosher dishes on the table so we're preparing a selection of apps that fit the bill and presenting them with a shortened version of the menu that does not include any offending menu items.

So, it's not such a huge deal that we need to get the kitchen blessed or serve kosher wines, he's just looking to cover his ass.