[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FTP

skylive5

Have a couple questions about FTP.

How do you find an FTP address?

Can someone FTP into your computer and a select directory on said computer if you allow that sort of thing and how would you set it up so they could?

If you have a web site.... can someone FTP to that web site and get files from your computer or is it just to the server computer that the web site is hosted on? (This one I think I know the answer to.)

Things were so much easier when I used Unix and had servers to play with. LOL

Okay... I will assume that FTP is not what I am wanting for what I want to do.

So... except for going out and buying a server and spending the next 5 years figuring everything out... is there a way I can allow someone access to one directory on my machine for download purposes?

Okay... I will assume that FTP is not what I am wanting for what I want to do.

So... except for going out and buying a server and spending the next 5 years figuring everything out... is there a way I can allow someone access to one directory on my machine for download purposes?

I use Network Magic.....

It has a provision to set up a folder, have a link at a web address (that can be open or PW'd) and then things can be dl'd w/o access to one's entire drive. Granted I haven't used it much for that, but it worked.

Windows Remote Desktop (XP Pro has it, not sure about XP Home) has a file transfer utility that you can choose to enable/disable for remote users I believe ... and I presume that you could set up folder permissions/access however you need to by granting the desired security permissions to the Windows user account that you create for the "remote user" to log into your local machine.

How do you find an FTP address?

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but when an FTP server is set up the typical address is ftp://ftp.<domain name>.<com> e.g. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com

The ftp at the front replaces http in web addresses and the second ftp replaces www in common use.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but when an FTP server is set up the typical address is ftp://ftp.<domain name>.<com> e.g. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com

The ftp at the front replaces http in web addresses and the second ftp replaces www in common use.

Knew that FTP wasn't going to be what I was wanting. LOL Thanks Ursa.

Windows Remote Desktop (XP Pro has it, not sure about XP Home) has a file transfer utility that you can choose to enable/disable for remote users I believe ... and I presume that you could set up folder permissions/access however you need to by granting the desired security permissions to the Windows user account that you create for the "remote user" to log into your local machine.

This is going to be a long and involved procedure isn't it ts? *sigh* Why can't computers and what you want to do be easy and less time consuming? LOL

Roger that. Will check it out and see how complicated it is. Probably be easier to just put stuff on data DVDs and mail them. :wacko:

Thanks ts.

I use Network Magic.....

It has a provision to set up a folder, have a link at a web address (that can be open or PW'd) and then things can be dl'd w/o access to one's entire drive. Granted I haven't used it much for that, but it worked.

That looks like just for home networking. I will read up on it. Thanks rockn'.

Know anything about Laplink Everywhere ? The box says that it does everything I want, but comes with it's own firewall and not sure how that would interact with my existing firewall.

This is going to be a long and involved procedure isn't it ... Probably be easier to just put stuff on data DVDs and mail them. :wacko:

Well - it's been quite a while since I had to set up a PC to allow inbound Remote Desktop traffic, but I don't recall it being a nightmare on an XP box, Win 2003 Server being more complicated to configure. If this is a "one shot" file transfer need, it may actually be faster just to burn a CD or DVD & mail it out, LOL ... but if this is something you expect to have to do from time to time, then it's worth setting up the Remote Access. Note - it will be of great help for the remote user if you (as the "host PC") have a static IP address for them to use when they connect to your machine.

Well - it's been quite a while since I had to set up a PC to allow inbound Remote Desktop traffic, but I don't recall it being a nightmare on an XP box, Win 2003 Server being more complicated to configure. If this is a "one shot" file transfer need, it may actually be faster just to burn a CD or DVD & mail it out, LOL ... but if this is something you expect to have to do from time to time, then it's worth setting up the Remote Access. Note - it will be of great help for the remote user if you (as the "host PC") have a static IP address for them to use when they connect to your machine.

Hmmmmm...... pretty sure I have a static IP addy. Let me check it out...sounds like it might just do exact to a T what I want. Thanks ts. :wacko:

ETA: If no one hears from me in a couple of days..... you know that MSFT was the end of me. LOL

Edited by skylive5

Well, that didn't take long... I have the home edition and it is not avail in the home edition. Dang but I thought I was going to be good to go. *sigh*

Third part software here I come. :wacko:

Check your home email.

Are you looking to file share or just transfer a large file to someone's PC? Drop me a PM if it's the latter, I'll abuse my server to help you out.*

*This is by no means an open invitation to all Huddlers to access and use twiley's business FTP. :wacko:

Are you looking to file share or just transfer a large file to someone's PC? Drop me a PM if it's the latter, I'll abuse my server to help you out.*

*This is by no means an open invitation to all Huddlers to access and use twiley's business FTP. :D

:wacko: Thanks but it is the former.

I want to be able to be in Oregon and access my computer here in Washington and download files.

*This is by no means an open invitation to all Huddlers to access and use twiley's business FTP. :D

He needs to have a site that he can share files/folders, etc. over the web on a site. I just got off the phone w/ him. I showed him how Network Magic works, it was exactly what he wanted, he DL'd the S/W and guess what.......the newest version doesn't support the feature I have for web file sharing!!! :D:D WTH?????

I think he still needs suggs, but w/ XP Home, I don't think "FREE" network sharing is possible. H8???? :wacko: Calling H8!!!!!

I use gotomypc to access my office comps from anywhere and all you need to do is drag and drop from the remote pc to yours.

Their home page doesn't give a heck of a lot of info. Do you need a copy of that software on all the computers you are attempting to access? Or do you just need a copy on your machine and you can access it from somewhere else? No...that isn't right.... gotta have a copy on each machine.... I would think.

Their home page doesn't give a heck of a lot of info. Do you need a copy of that software on all the computers you are attempting to access? Or do you just need a copy on your machine and you can access it from somewhere else? No...that isn't right.... gotta have a copy on each machine.... I would think.

Put a copy on the one you want to access and you can connect from any computer through a web browser. I think they have a 30 day free trial.