[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The bad guys got me

Missoula Griz

So, I use my Capital One credit card last Friday to buy something at a convenience store. Cashier says card is no good. I ask her to try it again. Same result? I give her a debit card and don’t think too much about it.

On Sunday, I go to fill up the car at a different location. I decide to see if CC works. Same thing, card has been denied? Now I am a little concerned…

I get home and wife immediately tells me CC company left message on answering machine about possible fraud. I call the number.

First person I speak with asks me some general questions. Next person gets a little more specific. Third person re-verifies information collected from first two conversations. Finally, I speak with the fraud case manager.

She asks me some very detailed questions to verify I am the owner of the card.

1) What state was your SS number issued?

2) What are the ages of your children, birthdates and last time they went to a doctor?

3) What 4 states have you lived in for over 2 months?

4) What 3 home phone numbers have you used in the last 10 years?

5) What school did you attend in kindergarten?

I struggled to get them all right. I really had to think about it, especially the phone numbers, and the name of the grade school. Once the correct answers were given, she tells me someone has been using my CC in Detroit, Michigan taking maximum cash advances. They somehow were able to change my pin number and home phone number. She asked me if I had been in Detroit lately. I tell her I have never been to Michigan before.

She assures me they will take the charges off the CC and reissue a new card with new number obviously. She says my statement will reflect the cash advances, and I should call if there are any additional charges which were not made by me. I am very interested to see the statement.

A few things here. First, how the heck did they get access to my card and change my pin? She tells me it is somewhat common and hackers are improving daily. Second, it’s pretty crazy that the CC company had such detailed information regarding my family, phone numbers, schools, ect...

It was a gut check for me. I have always felt somewhat insulated here in my rural residence in Montana. It sure changes the way I view using credit and the internet going forward.

Anyone else been peeped by the bad guys?

This happened to me back in the summer, except they got my bank debit card and took all my money from my checking and savings. I got it all back, and was issued a new card and everything, but the thing that astonished me was the nonchalant attitude of the bank.. They said it happens all the time now, and I wasn't even their first case that week. Apparently, crime does pay, at least for awhile, because they won't even investigate these cases.