[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

X-Mas shopping

tazinib1

Yep its that time of year. I've been noticing that gift cards are becoming very huge. I've been thinking of getting them for friends and co-workers rather than going through the god awful process of trying to figure out what they would like. It seems like a rather impersonal gift, but in my eyes, its very practical. Why waste the time and effort of getting something they will not like, when you can get them a gift card and let them enjoy the gift THEY choose? I've been told by a few family members that this is very Un X-mas like on my part. Thoughts?

I am not religious, but still like to think of this holiday season as more than a reason to spend money on each other. Thus, I like gifts to fall into one of two categories.

For those close to me, I really feel I owe them the effort to actually find something specific that they'd like. I want the gift to say that I think of them and have an idea of what they would like. With my wife, I like to try to make it something that brings us together. Within the last 2 years, she got a proper road bicycle, so we ride together more than we used to. Something that she's really happy about. Thing is, she lacks proper winter gear, so at least some of her gifts will be that so she can ride with me on cold days. Things like that.

For casual friends, my wife and I like to make things. As often as possible, with things harvested from our garden. We were once given this really interesting herb salt from Italy where fresh herbs were mixed with sea salt and the salt essentially dried the herbs and absorbed the oils. It was great in bread dipping oil or for grilling meats. We grow a ton of herbs and have made that. We've done pickles, made magnets from the metal tops to champagne corks, baked goods, etc.

In short, something simple and likely to be enjoyed, even if it isn't something they "need". But something that was made by us.

We've resorted to the gift card for some relatives that we never see and I don't mean to imply that it's a poor gesture for people to do. It's just not what I think this season should be about.

For co-workers, I think gift cards are great as a present from "the boss" - especially one to a grocery store - sort of like buying the family ham/turkey dinner.

I try not to do cards, but make exceptions for clothing stores if I am unsure of sizing. I will be 100% sure the card is to a store they really like, and is likely to stay in business.

I don't mind receiving gift cards. However, I tend to appreciate and remember the gifts that hit me "out of the blue" more.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

I'm thinking of getting my wife this, and maybe a new radar detector for Christmas. Not very romantic but very practical. I save romantic for Valentines and Mothers Day.

Everyone at the office gets a gift card to a grocery store.

My wife shops for everyone else. She normally buys something fairly personal for most unless she doesn't have a clue and then gets them a gift card.