[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Made in America"

theeohiostate

This is the heart of the problem, this government has allowed our infrastructure to self destruct.

I am not smart because my poop smells like crayons.

About the same relevance. :wacko:

Who gets jobs at walmart? If walmart wasn't there, where would they work? You are not smart btw, very stupid actually.

Clearly we're approaching this from the wrong direction. We should be working to unionize the rest of the world, thereby raising labor costs across the board and giving a reason for jobs to come back here.

Clearly we're approaching this from the wrong direction. We should be working to unionize the rest of the world, thereby raising labor costs across the board and giving a reason for jobs to come back here.

Well, not to mention that workers in that part of the world DESPERATELY need unions to fight for their rights in the workplace and get them a living wage.

But somehow I doubt anyone in this thread is considering ethical implications..

Well, not to mention that workers in that part of the world DESPERATELY need unions to fight for their rights in the workplace and get them a living wage.

But somehow I doubt anyone in this thread is considering ethical implications..

Well timout on that for a second.

What is a living wage compared between here and India or China? It is, in fact, a fraction of wha tit is here. So if people are making $15.00/day but that's a livable wage in parts of China:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/conte...13/b3977049.htm

What outsourcing has done in places like China is raise hundreds of thousands, if not millions, out of total, abject poverty. No doubt negatives have come about as well over there, such as child labor issues and pollution, but there's tons of positives in that fact as well. So ethically it isn't black and white at all. We clearly can't control all of what China does in their labor market, yet. By having it grow like it has though it will enable boycotts and embargoes on items made with China labor that much more effective when they become a large enough issue to take off in that way.

Yeah dammit! :D

THE DAMN PRESIDENT SHOULD NEVER HAVE ALLOWED HORSE & BUGGY PRODUCTION TO STOP!

We should still have old lady's plugging cables into wall of plugs for our phone service!

We should NEVER have allowed to stupid polluting tractors to till soil what a perfectly good person and mule could do! Progress is SCHIT I SAY!!!

Working for a company that does business entirely in the Philippines, I feel pretty strongly about this subject.

First of all, I'm in the call center business. We take calls for many large and recognizable American companies in the Travel, Banking, and Technology sectors. We have about 10,000 agents taking call during US business hours and another 3000 during off peak hours. We have about 500 people apply for employment with us on a daily basis, and the wages we pay put the agents solidly within the middle class. Many people in my family ask me the same thing TOS did, how can I work for a company that runs an offshore sweat shop and makes money on the backs of children? Well, every one of our employees has a college degree, and our facilities are no different than any facility you would see in the US - modern, air conditioned, cafeterias, break rooms, etc. It is a very desirable position to have.

There happens to be a very large outsourcing company with a major presence in Lexington (ACS) that has moved alot of their work offshore over the last several years to China, Ghana, India, and the Philippines. During the recent election, the rallying cry of the left was that Senator McConnell had "allowed x number of American jobs to go offshore since 2002." What is the meaning of "American Jobs?" And how can anyone think the Government has any control over the progress of a nation built on capitalism? Companies will do business in the most profitable way possible, or they go out of business. Its simple. So while its great to think that we could keep these jobs inside the US, its just not economically feasible. Competition drives the jobs out, as does the demand from the American consumer for cheaper goods and services. For example, one of our major customers pays us about $14 per man hour to answer calls for them. We have 1700 employees performing said service, so we are charging them about 50 million dollars a year to do this. In the US, they would be paying an outsourcer in the 35 dollar an hour range, or about 123 million dollars. Do you really think this company is just going to shell out an extra 70 million bones a year to do business? And that is just with us - they have thousands of seats with other companies as well. Their shareholders demand higher profits, their customers demand lower prices, so they do the work as cheaply as they can - simple economics.

An earlier poster said that the world is shrinking. This is totally correct. Its nice to think that we could just continue to pay Americans more money for the same work, but that extra money has to be passed on to consumers. It just isn't going to happen - as a matter of fact, the trend will continue and we will see more and more jobs leaving the country. I went to Wendy's the other day and asked them what kind of toy came in the kids meal and the guy said "I don't know, I'm not actually in the restaurant." I noticed a little camera in the speaker apparatus - they have people sitting in offices taking drive thru orders offsite. Eventually they will find a way for someone in another country to do this, or automate the process altogether. Either way, that's going to be alot of lost jobs - not great jobs mind you, but jobs nonetheless.

What has made America great has been our ability to adapt to the changing economic landscape. We must continue to do this, but going backwards will not work. Progress charges ahead like an out of control steamroller - we need to either stay ahead of it or get crushed in the process.

Well timout on that for a second.

What is a living wage compared between here and India or China? It is, in fact, a fraction of wha tit is here. So if people are making $15.00/day but that's a livable wage in parts of China:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/conte...13/b3977049.htm

What outsourcing has done in places like China is raise hundreds of thousands, if not millions, out of total, abject poverty. No doubt negatives have come about as well over there, such as child labor issues and pollution, but there's tons of positives in that fact as well. So ethically it isn't black and white at all. We clearly can't control all of what China does in their labor market, yet. By having it grow like it has though it will enable boycotts and embargoes on items made with China labor that much more effective when they become a large enough issue to take off in that way.

How dare you guys put reason and logic into a mindless, jigoistic "made in america" rant? :D

TOS, what in the world does gov't infrastructure have to do with the fact that we no longer make DVD players, stereos, TV's, etc. in this country? In 1994, I spent a couple weeks in Venezuela. This was before the current dictator. They were friendly to the US, but extremely protectionist. The had oil and some agriculture products native. Well, they had rules that 75% of any product sold there had to be made there. There were a couple different ways to go about it. One great example was cars. In the mid-90's the brand new Ford, Chevy and Toyota vehicles I saw were the previous generation. In other words, they'd take the old stuff from a plant here and ship it down there and manufacture it. They also had some labor rules. As a result, a new Corolla cost about $30K - in 1994!!! Gas was $0.22/gal, because they had oil. Everybody was able to find a job, but no one had access to the latest technology unless it happened to have been invented there. Thats what protectionism, "America First", blah blah blah will get you. Stagnation and anger. And stagnation and anger brought them the communist dictator they have today. :wacko: I don't want that here.