[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

refi question

polksalet

What are refi rates rates on crib after the rate cut today?

I got a new mortgage last week at 4.75% for 30 years.

From what I know the Fed Rate has little to do with mortgage rates. Watch the 10 year bond.

The rate they cut today has nothing to do with mortgage rates directly.

that's true, but guess what... rates on 10-year treasuries have dropped 22 basis points today and rates on 30-year treasuries have dropped 15 basis points. Mortgage rates should drop accordingly.

that's true, but guess what... rates on 10-year treasuries have dropped 22 basis points today and rates on 30-year treasuries have dropped 15 basis points. Mortgage rates should drop accordingly.

10 year treasury note has nothing to do with what mortgage backed securites are doing! :wacko:

If you are watching the 10 year or 30 year treasury yeilds then you are watching the wrong thing... i. e.

FNMA 30 year 4.5 is -47 BPS

The US 10 year note is up +68 BPS

Just my 2 cents...

10 year treasury note has nothing to do with what mortgage backed securites are doing! :wacko:

If you are watching the 10 year or 30 year treasury yeilds then you are watching the wrong thing... i. e.

FNMA 30 year 4.5 is -47 BPS

The US 10 year note is up +68 BPS

Just my 2 cents...

uh, 10-year treasuries are DOWN 68 basis points right now for the day.

See also: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/mortgages...ate_drop_a1.asp

Thirty-year fixed-rate mortgages are priced off the 10-year U.S. Treasury note.
Edited by wiegie

This is what I was looking at. I don't know the right answer.

The yeild is down on the 10 year treasury by .17 %, meaning that investors are buying the 10 year.. which in turn drives up the price of the 10 year treasury meaning that the 10 year is currently up 75 BPS in price. The last sale of a 10 year treasury was 113.91. The FNMA 30 year is currently -35 BPS meaning that mortgage rates have went up today and 10 yaer treasuries have went down in rate today. That was why I corrected Wiegie's statement in the first place. Mortgage rates do not mirror what US treasuries do...

The yeild is down on the 10 year treasury by .17 %, meaning that investors are buying the 10 year.. which in turn drives up the price of the 10 year treasury meaning that the 10 year is currently up 75 BPS in price. The last sale of a 10 year treasury was 113.91. The FNMA 30 year is currently -35 BPS meaning that mortgage rates have went up today and 10 yaer treasuries have went down in rate today. That was why I corrected Wiegie's statement in the first place. Mortgage rates do not mirror what US treasuries do...

is it common to quote price changes (as opposed to rate changes) in basis points? That is what threw me off in your original post. When I read about changes in basis points, I think about changes in yields, not in changes in price.

Having said all of that, my credit union prices their mortgages in a good part off of the 10-year treasury. They don't move 1-1, but if long-term treasuries rates are going down, so, in general, will be long-term mortgage rates.

is it common to quote price changes (as opposed to rate changes) in basis points? That is what threw me off in your original post. When I read about changes in basis points, I think about changes in yields, not in changes in price.

Having said all of that, my credit union prices their mortgages in a good part off of the 10-year treasury. They don't move 1-1, but if long-term treasuries rates are going down, so, in general, will be long-term mortgage rates.

It is the common way in the secondary markets and bond securities world... we have seen a lot more buying of US treasuries vs. mortgage backed securities due to the perceived risk in mortgage backed securities; that's why the Fed is stepping in to buy MBS, based on pure economics mortgage rates should be about a 1/2 percent lower than what they are today...IMHO.

Edited by sundaynfl

It is the common way in the secondary markets and bond securities world... we have seen a lot more buying of US treasuries vs. mortgage backed securities due to the perceived risk in mortgage backed securities; that's why the Fed is stepping in to buy MBS, based on pure economics mortgage rates should be about a /12 percent lower than what they are today...IMHO.

gotcha