[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 20 greatest car chases in movie history

driveby

As things get older and newer stuff comes along it is always hard to get the younger ones to accept how great something is.

Some stuff that has always been considered #1 that younger people either have never seen, or will ever see because it is in black and white, or will most likely not be interested in because of not using the latest in stunts, special effects, etc.:

The greatest movie ever made: Citizen Kane

The greatest car chase ever filmed: Bullitt

The greatest western ever made: Shane

Just to name a few.

It isn't your fault that you can't appreciate past films..... it's just the way it is.

Not one thing there is a fact. It is all opinion. You cant say someone doesnt appreciate past films just because he doesnt like one car chase scene.

BOOOOR-ing.

I know Bullitt is the correct answer, but for my money I'll take the Blues Brothers. It's got 2 classics: The one after they get away from the cop with SCMODS and on the way to the tax office. Both awesome.

"This mall has everything!"

As things get older and newer stuff comes along it is always hard to get the younger ones to accept how great something is.

Some stuff that has always been considered #1 that younger people either have never seen, or will ever see because it is in black and white, or will most likely not be interested in because of not using the latest in stunts, special effects, etc.:

The greatest car chase ever filmed: Bullitt

The greatest western ever made: Shane

Just to name a few.

It isn't your fault that you can't appreciate past films..... it's just the way it is.

You tell him sky! :wacko:

You tell him sky! :wacko:

LOL What I said wasn't addressed to just the one person... it was supposed to be more of a general comment on why younger people don't necessarily appreciate old movies from what I have observed of my grandkids and their friends. It also wasn't about just one car chase. It was about old movies in general. But then what can I say.... 90% of what is said here is opinion and everyone can have one no matter how warped it may be.

I think I am right in my observations though. :D

I have a loooong list of things I'm ashamed of. Not liking Citizen Kane is somewhere on page 24 of that list.

I didn't say you should be ashamed. I said that it is a shame. Some people think it is a shame that I don't like mushrooms...but I'm not ashamed of it.

Sheeeesh but you people take everything as if it was an attack.

Not one thing there is a fact. It is all opinion. You cant say someone doesnt appreciate past films just because he doesnt like one car chase scene.

Well, if you "don't like" the car chase scene from Bullitt, then NO you do not appreciate past films. If you don't think it's "the best" then that's your opinion, and one is exclusive from the other.

In the "best of" debates, especially with film, you can look at one set of objective criteria and that is technical excellence. That is why Citizen Kane is revered along with Bullitt. Sheik thinks Kane is boring. Ok. He's probably bored with the story. I don't know what he does or does not know about the technical achievement of that film, but if he was bored he didn't realize he was being bored by a movie that was filled with first after first: deep focus, extreme camera angles, strong photographic compositions with sets built AROUND the camera instead of jamming a camera into a set and making due. That simply scratches the surface of the most technically groundbreaking film ever made: Citizen Kane. That is an indisputable fact. It brought together several developing elements in cinema and coalesced them into something you very much take for granted in the late 20th/early 21st century. Boring? Perhaps. The greatest technical achievement in film history? Absolutely.

Bullitt, gets its ranking for much the same reason. I'm with Sheik, I much prefer the Blues Brothers car chase, but I can easily tell you why Bullitt is better: they'll never film a scene like that again. There's a mini doc floating around out there (it's on the DVD) about how they set the chase up for long stretches and placed cameras along the road. I'm not talking about building a car chase block by block either, their "takes" went for several blocks each, with McQueen doing a decent chunk of the driving itself. Even then, it took 3 weeks. This is one you really need to see on the big screen though, it's pacing and speed are out of this world in a theater. Knowing the story behind the setup helps with your enjoyment as well in this one.

In the "best of" debates, especially with film, you can look at one set of objective criteria and that is technical excellence. That is why Citizen Kane is revered along with Bullitt. Sheik thinks Kane is boring. Ok. He's probably bored with the story. I don't know what he does or does not know about the technical achievement of that film, but if he was bored he didn't realize he was being bored by a movie that was filled with first after first: deep focus, extreme camera angles, strong photographic compositions with sets built AROUND the camera instead of jamming a camera into a set and making due. That simply scratches the surface of the most technically groundbreaking film ever made: Citizen Kane. That is an indisputable fact. It brought together several developing elements in cinema and coalesced them into something you very much take for granted in the late 20th/early 21st century. Boring? Perhaps. The greatest technical achievement in film history? Absolutely.

yeah, I've read most of that. I'm not of the philosophy that just because something or someone does something first that it's therefore the best. There are examples where this is the case, I just don't think Kane is one of them. If you're making a list called "Most Important Films of All Time" and not "Greatest" or "Best", then I'd have a hard time disagreeing.

I watched Bullitt and the French guy in the Ferrari, and Bullitt is amazing, I need to get the movie and watch it for myself. But the guy driving the Ferrari was flying, some of the best driving I have ever seen. I may not be old enough to appreciate some of the cinematic "firsts" as were discussed earlier, but I do have a love of the older muscle cars, and I can totally see why Bullitt has been, and still is #1