[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

amortization schedules / rules

muck

I have an asset that I need to amortize and am having difficulty in figuring out the best way to do it. I was hopeful to find a website or two that could help me with my own research, but haven't found anything that is particularly helpful.

Specifically, the asset is an investment in a partnerhsip that has drilled several oil and natural gas wells (which I know are written off as expensed for tax purposes). Because I have ZERO visibility as to the actual amount of 'proven reserves', I cannot use the "unit of production" (or anything similar to that) method of amortizing the investment ... so, I am hoping that for the purposes of calculating a balance sheet that I could (say) write it off using straight-line depreciation over the expected life of the wells (which I was thinking of using 10yrs or so since these wells should live for 6-8yrs at the short end and 15-20yrs at the long end) ... and am looking for any links that could help.

The only other thought I had was to amortize the value of the well based on the cash that came in ... but, IIRC, that approach is not GAAP.

Maybe I am not reading your post correctly but I don't understand why you want to amortize the investment.

Shouldn't the investment be on the balance sheet at cost/basis and adjusted by the K1 that you will receive. I'm assuming that you will receive a K1 since the investment is in a partnership. That is the way that we have always treated investments in partnerships although I have never dealt with oil and natural gas drilling so the rules may be different.

Maybe I am not reading your post correctly but I don't understand why you want to amortize the investment.

Shouldn't the investment be on the balance sheet at cost/basis and adjusted by the K1 that you will receive. I'm assuming that you will receive a K1 since the investment is in a partnership. That is the way that we have always treated investments in partnerships although I have never dealt with oil and natural gas drilling so the rules may be different.

+1. What are we missing? :wacko:

You don't amortize investments in partnerships because they don't have a fixed useful life. The partnership itself may or may not amortize certain underlying investments in oil and gas interests. But the partnership would issue a K-1 to its partners reporting their pro rata share of all income, deductions, credits, etc.

But maybe I'm reading your question wrong. Are you trying to forecast what will appear on the K-1 that you'll receive? Or are you actually attempting to amortize a partnership interest?