[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone losing their jobs

Randall

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually starting a new company... buy low and take over the world.

I do mystery shopping ont he side, and paid e-mails-who says you have to buy what they are selling? They pau you to read the ads however. I don't mind-its only a few bucks every year-but hey they start to add up. John

Go whacked in financial services last year and was out for 6 months. Found a good job right before the holidays, but have to suck up a 70 mile commute each way. Moving is not an option in the current market (New England is a mess). But, all things considered, grateful to have a job.

If you're looking... Network, network, network. Career job websites, you're odds are limited with the millions of resumes posted.

there is a very good chance this gets worse. stay strong!

Yup.

1. Democrats are known for big government, jobs will open up.

2. Also common is a following reduction in military personnel and reduction of defense contract spending.

Sadly, 1 and 2 generally do not happen at the same time. So there may be a drop and then a rise in unemployment.

• 6 months later...
I do demolition hiring/contracts for a city government. I thought my job would be at risk about 6 months ago because I had little to no work coming in. However, during that time my supv had me doing relocation work of businesses. I use to do that type of work. Now demo has picked up and we just recently found out that our relocation department will be tied up relocating an entire housing project. The project is slated for demo. Hopefully that will be turned over to me rather than our Central Maintance Dept who handle our last Project demo. This time around one of my dept heads is handling things so it looks promising for me. If I get the gig it should give me some assurance of a job for at least 1 1/2 to 2 yrs. On the plus side I do have my time in to retire and draw can full benefits if need be but thats not enough to live off of. Actually I want to retire and flip houses but nows not the right time for that. I am looking into buying one or two though so as to get them at a very good price. I could rent them out until the market rebounds.

ETA: I also have my handyman business but that is slow. I do not advertise so I may consider doing that to see if things pick up.

Well the large demo of the housing project was not only delayed a year but given to another department. Last month 1 of the 2 relocation persons was shipped out to another department. Today the other person was transferred. I was told I would handle the demolition and ALL relocations, not just businesses. I am glad no one was laid off but I do not like the way my department is heading. My boss said that there would only be a few famillies to relocate but there should be enough demo work to keep me busy until next fiscal year. I had applied for a job in Raleigh but have not heard back from them. That really surprised me since I was well qualified. I guess I should be satisfied that I still have a job.