[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Simeon Rice Calls Gruden a "Scumbag"

The Vatican Hitsquad

Ok. Thats one. One QB doesnt make him a guru at anything. What else did he do?

Resurrected Irving Fryar in Philly. Resurrected Joey Galloway in Tampa.

He does good things with some players. Guys you think are done, he does something to to demonstrate they're not.

How about winning a Super Bowl with an over-the-hill Brad Johnson under center?

Gruden isn't a great coach, but it's kind of silly to say that he's not at least a good one. If it weren't for the silly "Tuck Rule," he would've taken two franchises to the Super Bowl. The Raiders went from the cellar to a .500 team to the playoffs during his tenure, and his aging and offensively-deprived Bucs teams still managed to make the playoffs twice after the SB.

Brad Johnson wasnt over the hill then. He was what, 32 at the time? He might not have been the greatest QB, but as we all know, you dont ALWAYS need a great QB to win the SB. See Trent Dilfer. Same type of defenses, and thats what won the SB for the Bucs.

I never said Gruden was a BAD coach, I said he was over rated, and I stand by that.

Resurrected Irving Fryar in Philly. Resurrected Joey Galloway in Tampa.

He does good things with some players. Guys you think are done, he does something to to demonstrate they're not.

So he might be good with indiviual players every once in a blue moon, but again, how does that prove he isnt overrated?

Gruden isn't a great coach, but it's kind of silly to say that he's not at least a good one. If it weren't for the silly "Tuck Rule," he would've taken two franchises to the Super Bowl. The Raiders went from the cellar to a .500 team to the playoffs during his tenure, and his aging and offensively-deprived Bucs teams still managed to make the playoffs twice after the SB.

Um, that wasn't the AFC Championship...

The Bucs were close to getting to the Super Bowl and needed an offensive mind to get them over the top. It also helped they played the Raiders in the SB.

Gruden is good with some players. His first year in Tampa he challenged the defense to score. He told them if you're so good why aren't you scoring touchdowns? He also got the offense to compete with and not be overshadowed by that defense.

He may not be a great coach but was what they needed at that time I think. He could be a good coordinator or maybe college coach.

I still hate the tuck rule.